Max Mosley gives up his seat

W

Wido Rossen

• Wido Rossen

Max Mosley has resisted pressure to stand again as FIA president and will back Frenchman Jean Todt to succeed him after 16 years in charge of world motorsport.

The 69-year-old Mosley announced last month that he wouldn't seek a fifth term after brokering a deal with the Formula One Teams Association to avert a rival series. However, he then said in a subsequent newspaper interview that he might reconsider that decision.

Mosley said on Wednesday he received "almost 100 messages from FIA member clubs urging me to think again" but that he felt it was time to move on.

"Extremely grateful though I am for all the letters, e-mails and messages I have received, I have decided to reconfirm my decision. I will not be a candidate in October," Mosley wrote in a letter to the FIA membership.

Mosley has been the president of the FIA, the international automobile federation which governs Formula One racing, since 1993.

"From a personal point of view, it would be very difficult for me to change my mind and stand again," Mosley said. "I began some months ago to rearrange my family life with effect from next October. I also informed senior FIA staff that I would not be a candidate.

Mosley also cited the recent death of his 39-year-old son Alexander, who was found dead from a drug overdose in his London apartment in early May, as a key factor in his decision.

"To continue now would greatly complicate my domestic arrangement and be inconsistent with my obligations to my family, particularly after our recent loss. Also, I have felt for some time that I would like to work less. After all, I will be 70 next year."

Former Ferrari team principal Todt is yet to officially announce his candidacy in the October election. Only former world rally champion Ari Vatanen has announced he will be in the ballot.

"I believe the right person to head that team would be Jean Todt," Mosley said. "Jean is unquestionably the outstanding motorsport manager of his generation and arguably of any generation.

"If he agrees to stand, I think he would be the ideal person to continue but also to extend the work of the past 16 years. He can be relied on in all areas where the FIA is active. I very much hope you will give him your support."

( source wwos.ninemsn.com.au )

Isnt it about time FIA got an unbiased president, its just gonna end up being Ferrari International Assistance again.

I think it should be the guy that they were on about at F1 at the weekend, cant remember the name now as so many names have been thrown about

• Wido Rossen

I rather see Ari then Jan Todt on the wheel of the organization.

Jean Todt please, he has background in rally, Le Mans and World Sportcars and more importantly F1. He has a more rounded knowledge of motorsport. That said I did read an article saying Mosley preferred Vatanen so maybe he does prefer him and him backing Todt is like the football club owner giving his manager the vote of confidence days before sacking him, he knows anyone he gives his backing to would be like the kiss of death :)

I would like to think that the FIA are not silly enough to give in to the moronic corners of the media who would peddle such Ferrari bias conspiracies and actually appoint a man who is quite likely the best candidate for the job based on his actual experience in a wide variety of motorsport disciplines.

Todt confirms he will stand for FIA presidency

Former Ferrari team principal Jean Todt has confirmed that he will stand for the presidency of the FIA later this year.

Just 24 hours after outgoing president Max Mosley endorsed Todt as the ideal candidate to replace him, the Frenchman has confirmed that he does intend to put himself forward for election.

He is the second candidate to put himself forward, with former world rally champion Ari Vatanen having announced his campaign last week.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76998

Really hope he don't get it!

• Andrew Evans

all the max haters have NO IDEA what they're in for if this utter cretin gets the job.... :shudder:

Given his past experience in rally, hill climbing, Le Mans, world sportscars and F1 I'd say he is pretty well qualified to do the job but of course the moronic quarters of the gutter press will print their Ferrari bias conspiracies.

Can you explain why the bias conspiracies are moronic?

If they need explaining to you then really its a waste of time. Suffice to say any man with the experience you would expect to take that position is going to have had relationships with teams and manufacturers which in Todt's case is Ferrari but he also has a much longer history with Peugot. I don't believe he is any more likely to be biased than Vatanen is to Peugot, Citroen, Mitsubishi or any of the other manufacturers he's been associated with. Both are good candidates but I feel Todt has the broader experience and thats what I'd like to see the FIA take into consideration rather than the gutter press conspiracy theories.

I would think Todt to be a good candidate, but Vatanen would help improve the WRC scene. Ford and Citroen being the only 2 manufacturers in the championship really needs to be sorted.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 296 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 424 39.7%