Max Chilton looks to Indycar with Carlin in 2016

Max Chilton Carlin.jpg

After the demise of the Marussia team late last year, even with talks of a potential buyer for the team it appears British driver Max Chilton is not part of any potential rescue plans despite spending the last two years with the team. Whilst he is still looking at options this year it's been announced that he's joined the British Carlin team as a development driver this year as he looks to step up to Indycar with the team for next year.

Chilton will help the team with their debut season in the feeder Indy Lights series this year, and will start by driving for the team in an official three day test at the Homestead circuit next week. Whilst it still appears Chilton it weighing up his options this year, it seems he's clear he wants to join the Indycar series with Carlin for next year.

Chilton has plenty of history with the Carlin team, as he raced with them for his best year of British F3 in 2009, finishing 4th and again during two years of GP2 in 2011 and 2012, again finishing 4th in 2012. His father Grahame Chilton is also a part owner of the team after buying it from team boss Trevor Carlin in 2009.

Chilton commented on his news by stating "While I'm still considering my options for 2015, the IndyCar package presents an interesting challenge. By assisting with the development of the Indy Lights team I'm keeping my options open for an IndyCar programme in 2016 based on a strong foundation of knowledge and experience. Hopefully I can also help the guys at Carlin get as much as possible out of their first season in the USA."

It seems that Max Chilton is moving on from Formula One,after two years with Marussia he now seems to be looking to the future with this link with Carlin. If he does end up joining Carlin in the Indycar series next year, expect him to start challenging for wins within two or three seasons in the category once both Chilton and Carlin have got used to the series.

Thanks to the Daily Mail for their help with this story http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ar...river-agrees-return-Carlin.html#ixzz3PeKmh7Js

What are your thoughts on this news? Please feel free to comment below.

Remember when Mansell left F1 as world champion and went to IndyCar? This'll be bigger than that by over 500 times, guarantee it. :roflmao:

Chilton's a good guy away from the track, and it's admirable to see that he still has the fire to race. Best of luck.

will he completely forget how to turn right?
Does he already know how to do that then? Otherwise that would be a perfect explanation for his continuously failing to impress in Formula 1 over the last couple of years.

Can't understand what such drivers are doing in Formula 1 (or any other high form of motorsport for that matter). Oh actually I can but I naively want to believe motorsport is about talent only.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 96 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 73 9.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 78 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 49 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 106 13.8%