Massive Wreckfest Update Scheduled for December

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Wreckfest December 2017 Update.jpg

Not content with a new racing club? Well feast your eyes on a massive new update on the way for Next Car Game Wreckfest before the end of the year...

Bugbear Entertainment are continuing to push full steam ahead as they look to bring Wreckfest into a version complete status, continuing what has been a frankly on and off development cycle as the little development team push forward with progressing a title that is packed full of potential, even if it appears a little on the unfinished side at present.

Writing on the official Bugbear Entertainment blog posting, the developers claim something big is on the way as they promise an update release that is "by far the largest one we have ever created", and all before the end of the current year!

According to Bugbear the upcoming update will include the following highlights:
  • Many new cars, including front-wheel drive cars for the first time
  • Preview of the upcoming series based career mode
  • Polished tracks with all-new variants
  • New, enhanced HUD
  • Paint job customization
  • Better AI with adjustable difficulty
  • Improved vehicle physics and manual clutch
  • Mechanical vehicle damage
  • And a lot more
No further information has been forthcoming from the developers, however with only a few more weeks left until the end of December it won't be long until we get to see what all the excitement is about for ourselves...

Wreckfest is available for PC with console versions due to release during 2018.

Check out the Wreckfest Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding the sim. For added excitement we have a very interesting sounding racing club on its way... check out the info here.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to the big update? Enjoying Wreckfest so far? Looking forward to the racing club here at RD? Let us know in the comments section below!

Forum posts from BugBear Devs,

This will be the first major update leading to the final release early in 2018.

This way we will have a little bit of more time to polish and dial in final tweaks based on the feedback we get from you guys + of course the rest of the players.
Condering the number of cars we have now I'd say the number is significant.

For tracks, we're looking at having all the tracks at a pretty polished shape by the update + some new routes.We're still working on effects for the mechanical damage + bits but it should be in a presentable state soon.

Paintwork customization will allow the player to choose from a number of liveries and change the colors themselves, multiplayer is of course supported.

Nope, not about VR
smiley.gif
We're still on the fence regarding it.

> This will be the first major update leading to the final release early in 2018.

Hmm, yeah, think we've heard similar before?

> Condering the number of cars we have now I'd say the number is significant.

The number of cars has not been a problem for two years.

> For tracks, we're looking at having all the tracks at a pretty polished shape by the update + some new routes.

Completed, polished tracks have been sorely lacking.

> Nope, not about VR
smiley.gif
We're still on the fence regarding it.

Triple screens? Triple screens? TRIPLE SCREENS? Because Wreckfest really begs to be viewed out the side windows, too!

Honestly, though, VR is entrenched. Not supporting VR is now a sales killer because everybody is considering whether when they get their VR helmet if they'll be able to continue playing a game they've enjoyed. And I say that as a die-hard triple screen user who likely won't get VR until the resolution & viewing angles match the triple screen perspective.

Value of Wreckfest at the sale price is better than original pCARS bugfest. $2.50/hr Wreckfest with expectation it will go down vs. $3.45/hr pCARS which has been uninstalled and remained on my computer only for comparison purposes until pCARS 2 proved to be so much better.

That's the thing. If you have angled monitors for multiview, you really don't want to undo that just for one title that doesn't support multiview. It's like asking VR users to use their monitor... just doesn't happen very often.
Sure. But proper, flawless triple support is pretty rare. F1 2017, Dirt Rally (basically all Codemasters games) RaceRoom too, no support (while it's finally changing for RaceRoom, but took a while). Popular games among sim racers, don't think triple owners just skip these games because triples aren't properly supported. Automobilista has some sort of triple support, but it's not really adjustable. Just a checkbox, you can't choose angle of your side screens nor bevel width. WRC 7 same thing, great rally game but no true triple support. Dirt Rally added even VR, but not this

I have triples too and it's amazing how developers neglect this over and over again. But still, I think triples even with stretched image is 5x better than being forced to use a single screen.

Last edited:
I ordered it too at such a atractive price,i couldn't stand it...:geek:
Very cool physics and i remember Rally Trophy very well with my ol' Red Momo wheel.
Can sombody tell me how to set the FOV in the cockpit view ?
The slider is -30 degree to + 30 degree.Similar to hfov or...:rolleyes: vfov
DC

After reading from others here about the FFB and upcoming changes I've decided to install on my Sim Rig just to check it out, not sure how long I'll last on a flat screen in fact I may play it in BigScreen (VR Desktop App) or Oculus Home 2.0 to make the screen "bigger" so to speak.

@MarcG Trust me, unless you're running a supercomputer, performance is going to be horrible doing that.

Tbh I suspect that the main reason Wreckfest isn't available in VR is simply that performance would be horrible, there's no way you'd get the 90FPS needed without some pretty serious hardware, bearing in mind that I can run most of the major sims with decently high settings in VR on a 970.

Btw I recall from before I got VR that the dirt felt a hell of a lot more realistic than what iRacing have given us this week with rallycross.

Last edited:
After the 1st big smash you might need to go to bonnet view, so i don't worry to much as long as if looks and feels ok,
I only have a wider view so i can see the dials in the car, ( but there are no dials really)...
i seem to have found a sweet spot that also allows a bit of a side view also..
i just went from on to the other until i found what i likes, press pause in game then setting and change and resume...

@MarcG Trust me, unless you're running a supercomputer, performance is going to be horrible doing that.

Tbh I suspect that the main reason Wreckfest isn't available in VR is simply that performance would be horrible, there's no way you'd get the 90FPS needed without some pretty serious hardware, bearing in mind that I can run most of the major sims with decently high settings in VR on a 970.

Btw I recall from before I got VR that the dirt felt a hell of a lot more realistic than what iRacing have given us this week with rallycross.

I've played non-VR games in BigScreen just fine before, the FPS loss wasn't that great (also GTX970) and I will try through Oculus Home/Virtual Desktop to see if there's a difference. I do agree though Wreckfest is a bit of a GPU hog but it should be perfectly manageable in VR with ASW on.

I attempted Football Manager 2017 and F1 2017 on it, just for the sheer hell of it, and honestly frame rate was too inconsistent to be enjoyable. Possibly it's not helped by having 2 of my triples plugged in at the time.

I've played non-VR games in BigScreen just fine before, the FPS loss wasn't that great (also GTX970) and I will try through Oculus Home/Virtual Desktop to see if there's a difference. I do agree though Wreckfest is a bit of a GPU hog but it should be perfectly manageable in VR with ASW on.

I attempted Football Manager 2017 and F1 2017 on it, just for the sheer hell of it, and honestly frame rate was too inconsistent to be enjoyable. Possibly it's not helped by having 2 of my triples plugged in at the time.

Yes to quote myself it's not really playable on the circuits but the small demolition derby stadium was just about bearable, I've played Skyrim, The Long Dark & Planet Coaster in BigScreen before. As before the FPS was lower than the monitor but it was playable for me.

edit: anyway back to Wreckfest, the FFB feels alright (pre-patch) but lack of mirrors is off-putting in the cockpit cam, then when the windscreen gets smashed it really looks bad, plus it keeps forgetting my Seq Shifter every time I go into the Menu. Will try again after the update but for now I'm better off on the laptop with a controller & a beer!

Your FOV is dependant on screen size and how far from centre screen as with most of these games.
I have 3x27" at 24" from centre screen, then I try to match up my wheel to it's relative position to the dashboard, as if in a real car.
My setting is therefore -20 makes it more immersive.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back