Featured Massive iRacing Update Released

Discussion in 'iRacing' started by Paul Jeffrey, Dec 4, 2018 at 21:00.

Tags:
  1. Hor-hay

Hor-hay

Ratings:
    +66
    I guess the pro mazda is dead now...

• Haha Haha x 1
  2. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels
    Premium

Ratings:
    +269
    The formula renault 2.0 already killed the Pro Mazda.

3. 2stains

2stains

Ratings:
    +83
    Can i renew my subscription for $5 or is that only for new subs?

4. Arconian

Arconian
    Premium

Ratings:
    +27
    It's only for the new members. Check your email, maybe you have a 25% discount coupon. They send it from time to time to inactive users.

5. Brent Mills

Brent Mills
    Brent Mills Premium

Ratings:
    +116
    Pretty much all I needed to hear. I left IR a year back because of the ridiculous (imo) over the limit handling, one second you're on a grippy tarmac surface, next, you're on glass wheels on ice. Maybe if I hadn't tried sims like Rf2, I wouldn't have found it so annoying, but after playing those you do get confirmation that yes, tyres are still made of rubber in a slide!

I've heard some rumblings of a new tyre model in the works, I am hoping that it's not just tweaking, but a major overhaul. If that happens and there are good reports, I'd be back in a flash, there's simply no competition in terms of multiplayer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Fabian Biehne

Fabian Biehne
    Premium

Ratings:
    +743
    Really wondering why so many people say the FFB is shite in Iracing. Sure, I also think rf2 or AC is better in that regard but still the FFB in Iracing is good enough and I can feel what the car is doing (Wheelbase 2.5 user here). I’m also often able to catch the rear when it wants to go sideways.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
  7. Hor-hay

Hor-hay

Ratings:
    +66
    Can I get a refund...and also for the RUF

• Love Love x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
  8. rw3

rw3

Ratings:
    +114
    Frankly a huuuuuuge update, and much needed. The two new cars really are excellent and a lot of fun to drive. In terms of participation I'd expect the FR3.5 to have a lot in the first season then drop a fair bit as cars at that end of the sim tend not to stay popular for long due to the difficulty in setup and turning a fast lap. The F3 on the other hand ought to do very well. It's driveable and a recognisable series (don't underestimate how important that is). The Pro Mazda and FR2.0 are likely dead now, and I'd expect a few people to move up from the skippy - there's not been a suitable pathway really from Skippy to F1, now there is with Skippy, F3, FR3.5 (which won't be as dead as Indycar due to lack of ovals) then F1, so we'll hopefully see drivers slowly moving up through the ranks of the cars as they should.

In terms of tyres - FFB is better than people here are saying - I can feel what the car's doing pretty well. Still a LOT of variation based on temperatures so comparing times in practice sessions is meaningless for instance as track temp changes through the session depending on cloud cover - I presume that's something they'll tune eventually.

Performance is pretty solid on my GTX 970 with Rift, I have to turn a few things down but nothing I particularly care about. I've bitched extensively about iRacing but this release is excellent.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rivvern

Rivvern
    www.MasterArms.se Premium

Ratings:
    +61
    Nice changelog and i would like to run some iRacing buuuuuut price is too high. Not worth it.

Remove the subscription fee (like DCS)
    or keep the subscription but make the content free.

I know it will never happen... ;)

10. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,620
    Great update by the iRacing team. This will certainly make the major endurance races they run a much more immersive experience with the time changing features.

I did subscribe to iRacing but over three months I only found time to do maybe two or three races so it just wasn't worth the fees. However if you are racing on it all the time it's certainly a great way to go sim-racing.

11. Enagee

Enagee

Ratings:
    +129
    It's a good time to be racing in iracing... Servers all busy ,was in a server with 47 people .. The price is a bit expensive compared to other sims but not in general terms .... I've stopped yearly sub and doing it monthly and renew when I see fit .. $13 a month, most spend more a month on cigarettes/unhealthy stuff which won't add major value to your life. I just don't like ffb compared to AC and RF2 but can't see anything else beating it for online racing for a long time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mozzie

mozzie

Ratings:
    +7
    Could be interesting to know what people’s steering setups are when they complain.
    From personal experience I went from a G25 to a OSW Lenze motor and it was night & day.
    I then got to try a mates Fanatec wheel base & it felt lifeless compared to my OSW. If you’ve got an OSW nothing can touch iRacing with the feeling of the track and pure rack forces. rFactor 2 and AC with their canned effects aren’t realistic at all and are waaaay over the top with an OSW but I can see why it would feel better on equipment that can’t translate the true rack forces accurately and why canned effects would feel ok on those types of wheels. I guess, it all comes down to what equipment you use.

13. Leonardo Ratafiá

Leonardo Ratafiá
    Premium

Ratings:
    +712
    so now you need a DD wheel to "enjoy" iRacing.
    I just tried yesterday with a Fanatec CLS Elite, which gives lots of info on AC, AMS, LFS any decent sim and on iRacing FFB is non existent. It's like the keep using the code from 94 Papyrus Nascar Racing.

It's so boring I can't understand how people like it.

• Haha Haha x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. whip

whip

Ratings:
    +107
    DD's aren't as big a gap as ppl that own them like to make out, it's a bigger gap going from logitech to a belt drive

15. mozzie

mozzie

Ratings:
    +7
    That’s because they run canned effects. You can google it if you are not aware of what it means.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Fabian Biehne

Fabian Biehne
    Premium

Ratings:
    +743
    But these canned effects can be dialed out in the FFB menu, or am I wrong?

• Beer Beer x 1
  17. Leonardo Ratafiá

Leonardo Ratafiá
    Premium

Ratings:
    +712
    oh and real cars run canned effects as well? :speechless:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 16:33
  18. Jens Roos

Jens Roos
    Premium

Ratings:
    +637
    Regarding AC, rF2 and AMS, they only use one canned effect, and only when the car is stationary. Using DD and Simucube all used canned effects are listed so it's easy to see.

Edit, on AMS you can enable more effect if you like.

• Beer Beer x 1
  19. mozzie

mozzie

Ratings:
    +7
    It’s like this, (like everything in life), you get what you pay for.

G29 = Suzuki Alto
    OSW = Mercedes F1

Which car is going to give you a better experience?

However, in the world of sim racing. Certain software dev’s say ok we know people drive Altos’ so, let’s duct tape some kick ass cheap bass shakers to the rack and when the Alto Slides out we will activate the shaker. That way the customer will think he’s driving a Mercedes F1. When we all know that’s just tripe & he’s really just driving an Alto. ;-)

The thing is, iRacing prefer a first principles approach as much as is technically possible in everything they do, whether it be with the physics based sound model or the track surface model, or the in development damage model, etc...
    They have mentioned many times on the forum that they only provide forces that would be applied to the rack and let bass shakers attached to your rig to give the other tactile feedback, as experienced in real life. And yes, for the Joe blog with the G29 or the CSW they will miss out. It’s just life, mate.

20. NDG

NDG
    Premium

Ratings:
    +100
    [​IMG]
    I really can't decide if I should re-sub or not. I joined iRacing when I was single and I raced my heart out. Now married with a son, the best I can do is 4 races a month. Maybe if they do pay per race? I'm willing to pay a dollar each race I do. ;)

• Haha Haha x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.