Massive Automobilista Build 1.4.3 Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Automobilsta Update June 2017.jpg

Build 1.4.3 of the outstanding Automobilista racing simulation has been released today by Reiza Studios, adding some new content, plenty of fixes and... Steam Achievements!

Honestly Steam Achievements don't appeal to me personally, however it seems like this seemingly low profile element of the game has been widely craved by a large proportion of the sim racing community for several months now, and after a couple of unexpected delays the Brazilian development team have finally included the finished feature in Automobilista.

Other highlights to the build include a brand new rallycross layout for the DLC Hockenheim track, promised at the time of the Legendary Tracks DLC release but having needed a little more time until it could be added to the public build version of the title.

Of particular note should be the improvements made to the AI during qualification situations. Now Reiza have updated the game to ensure AI opponents take the appropriate amount of fuel during qualifying sessions offline, hopefully adding a more competitive experience when racing against the game in-between enjoying multiplayer racing events (sorry for the shameful plug.. ;) ).

The AI improvements don't end with just qualifying fuel loads either. The developers appear to have spent considerable time working on making improvements to the way the artificial intelligence reacts when racing each other and the player in offline mode within Automobilista. Several areas of the AI have been addressed in this build and it will be interesting to see how this changes the dynamic between player and computer in racing situations.

The full build 1.4.3 change log can be seen below:

• Added Hockenheim RX layout (not compatible with DynHUD at the moment)
  • Integrated initial batch of Steam Achievements (more info & related discussions here)
  • Season Tool: Improved handling of errors related to reading of series/track images; All series vehicle filters are now added to seasons (these can be further limited/customised when starting the season in game)
  • Radio Spotter: Audio files now cached in memory to try prevent stutters loading the files during gameplay on some systems
  • Expanded track GDB tire compound parameters to set different compound restrictions for different series, and define which of the allowed compounds AI qualifies & start race on *
  • Added AIRaceCompoundSwitch parameter to series files - if set to 1 AI is forced to switch to the next tire compound allowed in a tire stop (if set to 0 or not present AI will continue on the same default compound) **
  • Made softest compound default for F-Extreme. F-Reiza, F-Ultimate
  • DynHUD: Added option to switch Track Map state from stactic, rotating & off (CTRL + M switches between the states)
  • Replaced tacho texture in native HUD
  • Revised & expanded default championship calendars for several series
  • Reduced pitlane speed limit in races from 100 km/h to 80 km/h in all GP layouts to match real rules
  • Fine tuned drag effects for each car, correcting some previous exaggerated values
  • Fixed F-Truck & ARC Camaro wrong ID for TT leaderboards
  • Fixed bug that would cause excessive AI tire wear when TireManagement parameter wasn´t present in driver RCD file (now defaults to 80, 100 being default tire compound wear)
  • Fixed bug in AI tire pitstop thresholds not working causing the AI to run tires to canvas
  • Fixed bug that could cause AI to slow down too much in cool down lap after checkered flag
  • Global AI adjustments: Slightly reduced qualifying performance gap vs race / slightly increased AI tendency to move out of the draft from car ahead; Adjusted AI reaction to be more combative when another is close by or side by side
  • Fixed AI fuel slightly over fueling in qualifying (now AI does 3-4 lap runs and takes just enough fuel in between for the next run)
  • Changed AI strategy for fixing damage in pits - now AI only fixes damage when wings are missing (no longer doing long pit stops for minor bodywork fixes)
  • Further fine tuning of fuel consumption & estimates for several cars
  • Reduced AI performance variation in Supertruck layouts
  • Adjusted tire wear & degradation rates for all compounds in F-Ultimate, F-Extreme & F-Reiza
  • Brands Hatch: Fixed safety car position in pit lane; Updated AI paths; updated curb textures
  • Hockenheim: Disabled Safety Car for 77 & 88 layouts
  • Karts: Adjusted POV to avoid clipping with driver model
  • Caterham: Fixed missing driver arms in external view for 360R models
  • Montana: Fixes to pitgroups & talent files
  • Mini: Fixed Celtic teams missing vehicle IDs for Time Trial
  • LancerX: Moved default brake bias forward; Fixed bug with driver arms in external cameras
  • F-Ultimate: Adjusted steering wheel height; Increased DRS drag reduction; Increased tires´ pneumatic trail (should make FFB slightly stronger)
  • F-Truck: Updated driver suits & Gloves
  • F-V10: Updated driver suits & Gloves
  • F-V12: fixed sound going mute between 4-5k RPM
  • Ultima: Fixed graphics glitch in headlights from external cameras
  • Superkart: corrected moving arms lodout distance
  • F3: fixed steering wheels LODs of F301
  • MCR: fixed rpm lights and LCD glass
  • Marcas: Added missing talent files; Reduced AI skill range for more consistent performance
* AI will now qualify on softest compound available in all default tracks;
** In case of modern Formula series in default tracks, AI will start on softest compound available and switch to the next in range in a tire stop

Further info regarding above changes: for ex. F-Ultimate @ Montreal, AI will now qualify and start race in UltraSoft compound; since series has AIRaceCompoundSwitch=1, AI will then switch to SuperSoft if / when it stops for tires as per 2017 compound options & strategy; If it´s a F-Extreme race @ Montreal, AI will start on SuperSoft and switch to Softs as per 2015 compound options & strategy. If it´s tracks with no compound restrictions, AI will always run the softest compound and switch to the next up in tire stop. F-Classic will qualify on qualifying tires but will always race on C race compound; if it does a tire stop it will just switch to a new C set.

Series that don´t have multiple tire compounds and / or don´t feature in the track GDB will continue using the default compound as before. Mod tracks should be updated to use this latest syntax in order to feature compound restrictions.

Important note for Logitech G29 / G920 users: Support for auto rotation has been initially implemented on a dedicated Beta Branch labeled v1.4.3_G29. Further instructions as to how to switch to a beta branch here.

For the next release we hope to have it fully integrated into the main branch.

GENERAL NOTES:
If you have an online race tonight, you may stick to or revert to the previous v1.4.05 by selecting that branch from the Steam Beta tab. Further instructions as to how to do that here.

If you have a bug to report please use the new bug report thread (make sure to check the opening post first).

If you experience any issues running the game following the update, it´s worth running a Steam Integrity Check to make sure all files have been added / updated correctly.

For further difficulties related to installing, running or setting up the game, please refer to USER MANUAL present as a launch option from Steam If you need further assistance please post it in the troubleshooting topic or email Steam Summer sale with great discounts - if you´re missing anything make sure to check them out!

Automobilista is a PC exclusive racing simulation from Reiza Studios, available to purchase from Steam.

Automobilsta Update June 2017 2.jpg
Automobilsta Update June 2017 3.jpg

Don't forget to check out the Automobilista sub forum here at RaceDepartment to keep abreast of the latest news and discussions with regards to the simulation. We have a massive mod database where you can check out and download a selection of cars, tracks, skins, apps and other such third party content, plus of course we host some incredible club racing events on a regular weekly basis. If you want to become involved in the action yourself, check out the Automobilista Racing Clubs and Leagues sub forum and sign yourself up to a race today!

Have you had the chance to try out the new update yet? What do you think of the sim post 1.4.3 update? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Despite all the talk about it's engine being 'old', Reiza Studios has propelled Autombilista into the lead as the most realistic handling sim on the market.
No exaggerated slippin' and slidin' or uncontrollable under-steer at 40 mph, etc...
It doesn't attempt to state that's how a race car feels on cold tires....because they don't.
It beats everything else currently on the market for car handling and response.
Well done guys.

Last edited:
After investing a reasonable amount in the crowdfunding which I was more than happy to do even as Game Stock Car was at the time. I would never have believed the level that the Reiza team have achieved with this game engine. Pretty much everything we have asked for or could want in a sim has been implemented.

The fundamental that keeps me coming back is the physics every Reiza car just feels so right and some of the mods.

My mate was having a go on my rig the other day, he can drive and knows the fundamentals, he tried the other sims I have and I could tell it did not feel natural to him, I saved the best till last with some AMS a Caterham round Oulton Park, he instinctively started driving it properly not because it was easy but it behaved as he expected a Caterham to behave. That is the biggest compliment I can give the Reiza boys.

Honestly it's weird that they announced a new game even before the actual release of AMS. It's also weird the lack of info at this point since i'm sure i'm not the only one worndering if i should buy it or not.

For those who were following during the crowdfunding campaign it's not weird. They got access to the full engine code and wanted to change from GSC to a better name as well as make a lot of improvements. They made it clear that AMS was basically going to be a testing ground that would lead to an all-new game that was tentatively scheduled for late 2017. So everyone knew that the all-new game was on the horizon before AMS was even released and that AMS would kind of be a stop-gap game, and everyone who owned GSC got the AMS upgrade for free. They were very open and forth-coming about everything, no surprises or weirdness. I think it's a safe bet that the new game isn't actually going to be released in 2017 but that always seemed a bit of an ambitious target anyway.

Despite all the talk about it's engine being 'old', Reiza Studios has propelled Autombilista into the lead as the most realistic handling sim on the market.
No exaggerated slippin' and slidin' or uncontrollable under-steer at 40 mph, etc...
It doesn't attempt to state that's how a race car feels on cold tires....because they don't.
It beats everything else currently on the market for car handling and response.
Well done guys.

Yet only a couple hundred people play it.

@Alex Sawczuk First of all thank you for continuing to improve this great sim ! I know I can probably find the answer if I search various forums... But just a quick question: Has the plan to implement VR been totally canceled - or is there still a small hope that its coming someday? Thx again :o)

I did try the Oculus because I was considering buying one, but I failed to see what's so great about it. Yes, it's interesting and it's clearly the future of gaming, but so far it seems more like a proof of concept. Some technological improvement is still required, particularly with resolution. Images are blurry and pixelated. It may be nice for environment games, but for serious sim racing it gets tiresome after a while. But that, of course, is just a personal opinion. Other people seem to be really taken by it.

Which leads me to the point. Automobilista is a great sim, but it is a niche product. Rift owners are a niche within a niche. Eventually all games will have VR support, but until then I suggest they keep to the forums about games they do play and enjoy with their new gadgets, instead of constantly dropping into every single discussion about games that do not have VR (and, in the case of Automobilista, won't have it in the near future) just to inform the world at large that they refuse to play it because it "lacks immersion".

Come on, guys, give us a break! We all know you are hugely enjoying your new toys. Developers know that too and surely are taking that into account in their plans. This constant whining adds nothing but noise to the discussion and just serves to annoy the rest of us.

I like this title, but the sound and VR are what keeps me out of it..
What you mean by sound? I think the car sounds are very good. Better overall than AC to be honest, while I love AC and it has some new cars that sound good.

Considering graphics, I don't get the complaints. They don't look bad at all if you set them up correctly, crank everything to max and put high quality AA from graphic card options. Trees for example look great. In my opinion quite large part of track graphics.

Car visuals are also about skins, the stock skins by Reiza don't really do the cars any favors. Use mod skins with real liveries and brands, the improvement in visual look is surprisingly large.

Also, if you got AMS from Steam sale now, remember to download 24 Track Megapack:

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/automobilista-track-megapack-24-tracks.11779/history

They are great quality, after all the guy who made them was involved also with the official tracks, and afaik Reiza helped him to ensure the quality is on par with stock tracks

... the stock skins by Reiza don't really do the cars any favors. Use mod skins with real liveries and brands, the improvement in visual look is surprisingly large...

This is a very good point actually. Some of the default skins are great - StockCar for example - but some of them are a bit .. 'uninspired'. :unsure: I think the developers know that most of us enjoy using mods and put their non-infinite resources into the things that make AMS so much fun to drive: physics, handling, feedback, and now even AI.

The quality of the add on skins and mods take the visual appeal of this game to a completely different level. I never thought about this before, but now I can understand some of the complaints about the graphics when you consider the stock skins.

However, the talent in the painting department of the AMS community is fantastic.

Last edited:
Images are blurry and pixelated. It may be nice for environment games, but for serious sim racing it gets tiresome after a while.

Interesting point and its something i noticed with a few streamers and youtubers i keep an eye that being lately their content is not VR where as it was previously, are they tired of it?

I tried the raceroom free content last weekend , gave it a good 6 hours.
It was good ,ui was great,gfx were ok,sound very nice, physics pretty good but FFB felt odd to me, could be because i only have a G27 but it just felt odd to me.
I didnt enjoy it enough to buy anymore content.

I have all the beautiful simulators (except project cars that I do not consider a simulator), but my biggest hours of game are dedicated to Automobista, the most configurable, attractive and realistic for those who are a motor sport fan !!;):whistling:
I have all simulators too but it doesn't change the fact that AMS cars look ugly.
The UI looks ugly too...And slow.

AMS proves that the most important thing is the ffb, kudos to them, but you should feel a stronger ffb when you take a corner.
Only forza simulates this correctly which means a lot for all these "simulations". :)

I have all simulators too but it doesn't change the fact that AMS cars look ugly.
The UI looks ugly too...And slow.

AMS proves that the most important thing is the ffb, kudos to them, but you should feel a stronger ffb when you take a corner.
Only forza simulates this correctly which means a lot for all these "simulations". :)

Automobilista looks terrible doesn't it? How embarrassing:redface:

ciNC4oW.jpg

KMlHm2v.jpg

gMyCQV1.jpg

waSlE9o.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back