Maserati MC12 drivability

Ok, it's not often where I find a car in simracing world where I just don't understand why it drives like it does. Most people who play AC are aware of the challenges/special events one can do, for the MC12 that's a hotlap around Spa in the evening. Golden time is 2:19. Now I have done a ton of 2:21's, 2:20's and even high 2:19's but never have I found those last 8 tenths of a second in this car.

Why? Certainly not caused by a lack of trying. But whenever I try so hard the back end just comes around, be it on top of Raidillon or at Blanchimont, taking those corners just with a tiny bit more speed or wheel turning and the rear is gone with no possibility of catching it.

I tried fiddling with ARB's, ride height, aero, rake to no avail. The car's rear end will always come around when I'm on the way to a sub 2:19. Yes I have tried setups from the internet/youtube of people that went below that time, but the problem persists.

So I'm at a loss how I can beat this challenge which seems surprisingly easy yet is hard to do. Don't even get me started on the Lotus 49 challenges.

If it is so easy flatout than why does mine spin out even while staying off the kerbs and all? If you're all so wise, at least say how you drive.

On default I do 2:22, with my setup high 2:19.

In ACC I'm about 3 seconds of the best time in hotlap, so here I would lose 6 seconds per lap on the default compared to you guys. On default Blanchimont is flat out, but the gears are all wrong around the track and the car is very sensitive to nosediving under braking.

Last edited:
If it is so easy flatout than why does mine spin out even while staying off the kerbs and all? If you're all so wise, at least say how you drive.
The very first reply in this thread suggested that you upload a video so people can work out what it is that you're doing differently/wrong, and I think you should consider doing that.
I have no idea how anyone could "say how you drive" in a way that will help someone without it being clear what the root problem is. One guess would be that your lines are sub-optimal; it could also be that you're using too much steering angle, or getting the braking/accel points a bit off. That's all guesswork though.
People who upload videos of a lap here often get a massive amount of constructive advice about how to improve.

Driving it like any other GT car brings me to mid 15's with low fuel, no TC and softs (rest default). Really there isn't anything to say that isn't on countless videos of spa GT that you already saw.
On default Blanchimont is flat out, but the gears are all wrong around the track and the car is very sensitive to nosediving under braking.
Gears are fine IMHO, you want really fast acceleration so tight ratios, and with that finding a sweet spot for all corners is near impossible anyways. The trick is to delay lower downshifts to keep the stupid gearbox in check on entries.

All other issues you mention like rear running away in fast corners, sensitive nose under braking etc. are symptoms of areodynamic issues after fiddling with setup. Yes there are few tenths to get by lowering the car or changing rake but the issues you have are often price for them.

Until we can see you drive or you share the setup you are struggling with, all i can say is to go back to to basics: default setup and calm and controlled driving.

edit:
On default I do 2:22, with my setup high 2:19.
On second thought, gaining 3 seconds from quick and balanced (almost WR capable) default setup to whatever else you are driving is definitely not normal. It should be other way around.

Track condition and weather also play into the whole thing, and I'm unsure how those are set in the challenges. The quick hotlap times you see on Youtube are usually done in optimal conditions.

Does changing tires and fuel load still count as "default" setup?

Track condition and weather also play into the whole thing, and I'm unsure how those are set in the challenges. The quick hotlap times you see on Youtube are usually done in optimal conditions.

Does changing tires and fuel load still count as "default" setup?
It shouldn't, but no use taking mediums for a hotlap event when softs give better grip.

Still can't get my head around this particular car, while I can do other challenges with a bit of effort (sometimes almost none) but the golden status on this one still eludes me.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 310 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 207 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 156 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.5%