Mas files

Hey guys,

I experimented again with my btb maps to 3ds max, I also learned how to use the mas utility tool thing, now the problem is how do i arrange the files, and what the heck is a .gdb (correct me if i'm wrong, could be .gdp), and can someone tell me how to set things up, getting frustrated. :boohoo:

Look in other track folders to see how things are set up. It looks like mas files can be arranged however you want as long as you add in a reference to them in the .scn file.

To see what each file type does (gdb, tdf etc) open them with any text editor.

the GDB file is located in your track folder, with all your objects, and is called 'yourtrackname.gdb', same as the SCN, AIW, CAM etc.

It opens with notepad just the same too. Have a look through the file, its all pretty self explanitory as to what you need to change.

For setting up the MAS files, you need to edit the SCN file after the top few lines.

Example:
CUBEASF

//-------------------------------------------------------

SearchPath=.
SearchPath=CroftSB
SearchPath=CroftSB\CroftArmcoTester

MASFile=CroftSB.mas <---this would be for objects
MASFile=CroftSB_maps.mas <---This would be for all the textures
MASFile=sky.mas
MASFile=COMMONMAPS.MAS

See how far you get playing around with it, then shout back :)

One tip though. If you`ve set a texture to blend with your background, dont put that in the MAS file, as for me, it didnt work. Unless i was doing something wrong?!

Ok I tried, but still had a hard time doing it, do you have to have all .scn, .gdb, etc, and looking to the rfactor files, i dont seem to find .scn at all, damn I"m so confuse. anyway, hope you guys have answers to this questions. Because I'm a total noob, can you guys explain it step by step from, the very start, to the rfactor playable moment. let say, well use the sqauresville tutorial video in simraceway.com

CUBEASF

SearchPath=.
SearchPath=CroftSB-----------------------------what is this two?
SearchPath=CroftSB\CroftArmcoTester --------'' '' '' ''

MASFile=CroftSB.mas <---this would be for objects
MASFile=CroftSB_maps.mas <---This would be for all the textures
MASFile=sky.mas--------------------------okay so also, how do i arrange my folders and files.
MASFile=COMMONMAPS.MAS---------what is this ?

sky.mas and commonmaps.mas are in there to begin with. So leave those alone until you gain more knowledge about what maps do what textures.

Sky.mas is what has all the sky textures in for morning, day and night etc.
Commonmaps.mas is located in the 'locations' folder, and contains textures like dust, skidmarks on walls, fire, smoke etc.

The search path lines are basically telling the game where to look for the mas files your requesting.
For me, CroftSB is the folder name in the 'locations' folder. And CroftArmcoTester is the name of my track in the CroftSB folder.
So my directory looks like this 'rFactor/gamedata/locations/croftsb/croftarmcotester'

You only need 2 mas files. One for all your textures, except the one you might be blending the terrain with in BTB. And the other containing all your GMT files.
What should be left in your track folder (in my case "croftarmcotester") is;
croftarmcotester.AIW
croftarmcotester.CAM
croftarmcotester.GDB
croftarmcotester.SCN
croftarmcotester.TDF
croftarmcotester_loading.jpg
croftarmcotestermini.tga
croftarmcotesterthmb.tga

What should be in your location folder (in my case "croftsb") is;
The croftarmcotester folder
croftarmcotester.mas
croftarmcotester_maps.mas
sky.mas

and thats it. What is it your actually struggling with? Does the game crash? Do you know how to use the MAS tool? Is it figuring out where to put the file you dont know?

i think i kinda get how to arrange, but the map wont appear in the game, in other words it doesnt exist in the game. so anytips, or guess what's the problem, i think I arranged and named everything well (there might be a mas utility mistake (maybe wrong texture)) but dont wanna check now, thanks for the response :)

I think you need to check that the track loads properly before you start making the mas files. In other words, when the textures, gmt files, aiw, scn etc. are all in one folder. You said that you used 3dsMax so it's possible that you changed something in such a way that the game can't read it.

Also, remember if you make a new track (as opposed to updating an existing one), you'll have to restart rFactor if it was running at the time.

Festa's post (#6) explains the folder structure. If it still doesn't work you'll need to open the mas file and see if anything looks strange. Go here and get the "rFactor mod development tool pack". Use Mas.exe to open a mas file from someone else's track (to see how things should look), then open up your own mas files and see if they follow the same pattern, or if there are any differences.

edit: also check for simple things like spelling mistakes. In the scn file, make sure there are no spaces after you typed in your mas file names. To be honest I've no idea whether or not such spaces can cause problems, but it's worth checking.

I think you need to check that the track loads properly before you start making the mas files. In other words, when the textures, gmt files, aiw, scn etc. are all in one folder. You said that you used 3dsMax so it's possible that you changed something in such a way that the game can't read it.

Good point actually. You should only really pack to MAS when your completely satisfied that your finished editing and the track works in-game, otherwise its not worth it.

Don't use spaces in file names, Rfactor won't show them. Use an underscore to seperate names E.G. "Whatever_track".
You will find it easier to trace errors if you don't create a .mas file until it runs perfect.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 415 39.8%