Marussia Virgin & Team Lotus will not run KERS in 2012

Marussia will not run KERS during 2012 F1 season
Marussia has decided against having KERS on its car for the 2012 Formula 1 season, AUTOSPORT has learned.
As the outfit bids to make the most of a major restructuring and design overhaul under the guidance of technical chief Pat Symonds, it believes its progress could be hampered if it adds KERS to its workload for the season ahead.
Although the decision means that it will suffer a laptime deficit compared to its KERS-running rivals, with the energy recovery systems worth a few tenths of a second per lap, the team believes that not having to expend efforts into getting the complicated technology working will be more beneficial in the long run.
Marussia team principal John Booth said that the call on KERS came about because the outfit is so eager to ensure that it makes a big step this season.
"With the strides we are looking to make from this year, our focus has to be on aerodynamics first and foremost - as this will yield the greater gains," Booth told AUTOSPORT. "We are looking for seconds rather than tenths."
Booth also suggested that as well as the performance reasons behind the decision, there were also cost implications - because the Marussia outfit has always been mindful of keeping its budget in check.
"Our wider view of KERS is that whilst we are supportive of the concept of regenerative braking as an environmental initiative, the current technology is incredibly expensive," he said. "It would represent a significant proportion of our operating cost, which is not in keeping with our original manifesto as a low-cost F1 team in an era of resource restriction."
Last year, Team Lotus made a similar decision not to race with KERS because it felt that the outfit would be better off focusing its effort on other areas of car performance.
That gamble paid off because the team secured the 10th place in the Constructors' Championship that it needed to secure a bigger prize money pay out from commercial rights income.
Marussia's 2012 car will appear for the first time at the final pre-season F1 test, which takes place at Barcelona from March 1.

Autosport.com
In a way i can understand them, it would probably be better off to focus on making a fast car rather then getting those 0.4-0.5 seconds that KERS is worth.

EDIT: I read wrong, no confirmation on Lotus running KERS or not in 2012, it was for 2011 season..
Admin, could you please change thread title?

I have the feeling Marussia has just sealed its fate at the back of the grid.
The only team with no KERS and probably the only team not to test their new car until the 3rd test.

Doesn't look good

Timo Glock already said this some time in September or October.
Getting rid of Nick Wirth and his 100% CFD approach was a good thing in my opinion, but I think that not running KERS basically ensures that yet again, P11 in the constructor's will be the best possible outcome for them. Glock's talent is so being wasted there :(

I have the feeling Marussia has just sealed its fate at the back of the grid.
The only team with no KERS and probably the only team not to test their new car until the 3rd test.

Doesn't look good

Strange, I haven't heard news about HRT folding yet?

To be serious: HRT actually running Williams KERS system? They look like missing the tests again, for the...3rd time?

Look at the season when Trulli and Glock were teammates in the exact same machine :)
Well come on, those were his first two seasons in F1, whereas Trulli had what 11 or 12 years of experience? But okay, I suppose this discussion is pretty futile. I also fully admit that I have rose-tinted goggles when it comes to Glock because on German television, he always makes awesome comments dripping of gallows humor after the qualifiying sessions ^.^

In order to say something that actually relates to the topic of Marussia: I am kind of at a loss about what their purpose in F1 is. They said their goal is to score a podium at the first Russian Grand Prix in 2014, but with the small amount of money they are putting into the team that's clearly not going to happen. However, by buying the team from Richard Branson, they did kind of signal their intention to stay in F1 for a while. So are they just content with staying at the back of the grid? Or do they just want to hold on to the team for a while and then sell it again for a higher price when other manufacturers are willing to enter F1 again?

I think as a new team there is really no need to spend an incredible amount of money instantly.
It took Red Bull 5 years or so to understand how to build a quick F1 car.

Marussia needs to understand how to build a quick F1 car before you can begin to spend millions or even billions on the team.

I think as a new team there is really no need to spend an incredible amount of money instantly.
It took Red Bull 5 years or so to understand how to build a quick F1 car.

Marussia needs to understand how to build a quick F1 car before you can begin to spend millions or even billions on the team.
Well Red Bull started with a well developed car as they bought Jaguar (if I am not wrong) meaning they didn't start from zero while Marussia, HRT and Caterham started from the absolute zero.

I personally would love to see one of the three slower teams complitly surprisse everyone on the first Grand Prix.

Well Red Bull started with a well developed car as they bought Jaguar (if I am not wrong) meaning they didn't start from zero while Marussia, HRT and Caterham started from the absolute zero.

I personally would love to see one of the three slower teams complitly surprisse everyone on the first Grand Prix.
I´m pretty certain that they started off with a clean sheet of paper for their first true year in F1.
They only kept the Cosworth engine to my understanding.
They also gathered more points then Jaguar had done in the year before.

the thing is that you have to go through an evolution of the car in order to realize what works and what doesn´t.

2005 RB1
Coulthard_RedBull_Canada2005.jpg

2006 RB2
Robert_Doornbos_2006_Brazil.jpg

2007 RB3
red_bull_rb41.jpg

2008 RB4
red-bull-rb4%5B1%5D.jpg

2009 RB5
Red-Bull-Racing-RB5-Renault-F1-Exterior-047.jpg

2010 RB6
europe-f1-wallpaper-2010-17.jpg

2011 RB7
sepang-f1-wallpaper-2011-3.jpg

You can almost see the car as a piece of clay, each year it get more aerodynamic, sleeker, new regulations changes certain parts but the blood line is very much there.

Well, I guess there's a point to the aerodynamics argument. Glock said plenty of times that the worst part of the car is that it just doesn't have any downforce whatsoever. In theory, trading 0.4 seconds from KERS for 2 seconds from aero certainly sounds like a good deal, but they still need to make it happen. And if they're not willing to spend much money, I begin to have some doubts about that :(

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back