Mark Webber: "Grosjean first-lap nutcase"

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium

Mark Webber has branded Romain Grosjean a “first-lap nutcase” after the Lotus driver slammed into the back of his car at the start of the Japanese Grand Prix and denied the Red Bull driver the chance of a podium finish.

Starting from second place, Webber made a poor getaway and was passed by Kamui Kobayashi. That left him battling Grosjean, and going into turn two Webber, in front, turned in. Grosjean, however, misjudged the Australian’s pace and collided with the rear of the Red Bull Racing car.

The accident caused both drivers to head to the pits for repairs. Webber took on hard tyres and opted for a one-stop strategy that eventually allowed him to finish eighth and afterwards he hit out at the Lotus driver’s race craft.

“I haven't seen what happened at the start but the guys confirmed it was the first-lap nutcase again – Grosjean,” said Webber. “The rest of us are trying to fight for some decent results each weekend but he’s trying to get to the third corner as fast as he can at every race.

“It makes it frustrating because a few big guys obviously suffered from that today. Maybe he needs another holiday,” Webber added, referring to the one-race ban Grosjean received for causing a first-corner accident in Belgium. “He needs to have a look at himself obviously. It was completely his fault. How many mistakes can you make, how many times can you make the same error with first-lap incidents? It's quite embarrassing at this level for him.”

Grosjean, meanwhile, was forced to retire late in the race and afterwards admitted that the incident with Webber was his fault.

“Ever since I came back in Singapore my priority has been to be very cautious at the start, and I was watching Sergio [Pérez] on my left to make sure there was no contact with him. There was quite a big speed difference between me and Mark as I came into the first corner, which caught me by surprise and we collided. It was a stupid mistake,” he admitted.

“Mark came to see me after the race and was obviously not happy, but I apologised and we have to move on,” he added. “We’ll sit down and look at things again before the next race to see what we can do to improve these situations. Not a good day, but we have to look ahead to Korea and a chance to make amends.”

(source: fia press)
View the Post on the Blog

Somebody should really have a word with Grosjean in a positive way. Maybe the guy suffers from so much stress on the grid during the first meters that he cannot think straight anymore.

Can't recall him making such mistakes earlier in his career. Still think that the guy is extremely fast and talented but after today he surely needs to be very very careful for the rest of the season.

Poor Webber.

Lotus should get rid of Grosjean and get Kubica back, I bet in his current state he would still do better the Grosjean even with one hand on the wheel.

Come on Lotus I want Kubi back he is ten times the racer then Grosjean.

Lotus need to get rid of both Grosjean and Kimi. As much as I think Grosjean's got a bag of potential, 7 first-lap incidents in a season just doesn't seem good enough for a driver of his potential. He either needs to straighten up, or spend a 'holiday' in GP2. As for Kimi, after being disrespectful to fans in Singapore with his words and after declaring he doesn't care about other drivers in post-qualifying of Suzuka, I don't want to see him next season. What a bag of arrogance and ego this guy's got. He can go back to retirement and maybe spend some time in rally. Who does he think he is? He couldn't even beat Alonso in a very fast McLaren all those years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2176413/Romain-Grosjean-snubs-help-Sir-Jackie-Stewart.html

And that was over 3 months ago.
This arrogant driver needs to reconsider that decision in refusing help from stewart.

Yeah I can't believe he turned down mentoring from Jackie Stewart, what an idiot! Does he not realize how many REAL race car drivers would love to have a guy like Stewart in their corner coaching them. Just proves he's not mature enough for F1, send him back to GP2.

Yeah I can't believe he turned down mentoring from Jackie Stewart, what an idiot! Does he not realize how many REAL race car drivers would love to have a guy like Stewart in their corner coaching them. Just proves he's not mature enough for F1, send him back to GP2.

This guy is not a good enough driver for top flight racing yet, he was given the ride to early and needs to mature as a driver and not let the "RED MIST" set in as he sets off from the start line. To turn down Sir Jackie Stewart proves he is far to immature.
BAN HIM FROM F1 for at least a year.

Really?

Grosjean, if Sir Jackie Stewart tells you to go to his home to have a cup of tea and chat, it doesn't matter if your name is Michael Schumacher, Ayrton Senna or Yuji Ide, you go and have a chat with Jackie Stewart!

Grosjean is fast, but he seems to lack spatial awareness or something, since he gets really overwhelmed in the starts.

As for Kimi, after being disrespectful to fans in Singapore with his words and after declaring he doesn't care about other drivers in post-qualifying of Suzuka, I don't want to see him next season.

What did he do in Singapore? As for the Suzuka thing, he was asked an stupid question, he answered it properly.

A simple solution: give him a top car, then he will be always in the first rows, and as he is fast, he won't have any trouble to stay in the lead... :p (just an idea from a French man...)

Roman got absolutely destroyed by Alonso when they were teammates, he isn't that fast, he's overrated, that Renault would be leading the championship if Alonso , Hamilton or Kubica (I hope he comes back) was driving it

People are raving about how well Grosjean's doing compared to his team-mate in qualifying. Perhaps its Raikonnen who's overrated. Sure, he won 1 championship, but for the next 1 and a half seasons he was outpaced and outraced by Massa, and we all know how well he's doing

So you expect a complete rookie, on a car that drove like an enraged elephant dancing on top of a blind whale, and pitted against a 2 times world champion who is already used to the car, to do well? (Talking about 2009)

Grosjean, at the very least, is fast. He may or may not have talent for Formula One racing (it's not just raw speed you need), but you can't say he's slow with some of his performances this year.

If Alonso, Hamilton or Kubica were in the Lotus, yes, they might be first in the WCC, but not out of speed. They wouldn't crash in the first lap, and that helps.

As for Räikkönen, Ferrari didn't provide enough ice cream during 2008 and 2009, fact!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back