Maria de Villota

I think she is lucky that here head isn't decapicitated and is still alive.

Im virtualy blind on one eye to because of an accident many years ago i can see only about 15% (everything is blur) because i dont have my pupil anymore im basicaly doing everything with my right eye. So i know what Vilota is waiting when she recovers. Indeed depth vision is a problem but this is not bad in terms of racing though althoug i can imagine it will be hard for a openwheeler as she will have to move her head more to one side to see the mirrors now. On of the depth problems that often occurs is more for example when a tennisball is thrown to me in the air i can hardly catch it because its incredible hard to judge where it is, so especialy when stuff is heading in youre direction. I dont realy have problems to judge things that are happening futher in front of me, the only thing you need to learn is to turn the head more because you have to look with the other eye so basicaly the death angle of one side is away you cant see it. This problem gave me some problems when i just started to drive a car, missed out some cars on roundabouts because i didnt noticed them. In the mean time im used to live this way but the first years will be hard, you have to learn to adapt to it.

I hope she recovers well.

Extremely sad and unlucky incident :( Hard, especially for a woman to have such a scar :( May be granted patience for her i pray.

But it should also be kept in mind that walking down the streets has it's dangers aswell. Just because of a few accidents, closed cockpits would be absurd imo. It would kill the F1 spirit. People who drive these cars are aware of the dangers already. No one forces them.

I assume her helmet did not have any deformation. Maybe the space for the visor should have a vertical bar at the bridge of the nose, not so much for Maria's scenario but more to help shield the driver from objects such as suspension parts.

I would not mind closed cockpits. In redbull air races you can see the pilot. Dan Wheldon would be alive if he had a canopy like this and Massa would not need so much guidance via radio whilst driving if you know what I mean. I am sure he is a very intelligent man but has lost some factuality to think as sharply as before.

I do not know the cost of canopy in lower formula but Henry Surtees would be alive if he had a canopy on his Formula 2 car in 2009.
red%20bull%20close%20up2.jpg

I am sure the Redbull pilots have some kind of air blast or aircon and can also get out quickly in the event of a crash landing and fire. It's cooler up in the air but I think there is a lot of heat from a Redbull aircraft engine.

I hope no open cockpit racer gets into the situation below again. Simona had a nasty burn to her hand from this.

I am sure the Redbull pilots have some kind of air blast or aircon and can also get out quickly in the event of a crash landing and fire. It's cooler up in the air but I think there is a lot of heat from a Redbull aircraft engine.

I hope no open cockpit racer gets into the situation below again. Simona had a nasty burn to her hand from this.

That took too long just to get the extinguishers on.

I hope Maria di Villota recovers well.
I hope the people around her tell he the incredible story of Alex Zanardi who lost both legs below the knee and recovered and made the podium in World Touring cars.
Not satisfied with that Alex has developed to Olympic level as a para cyclist.

Maria has suffered a loss of one eye but she still has a lot left. What she does with it will define her more than the accident will.
good luck Maria.

I hope the people around her tell he the incredible story of Alex Zanardi who lost both legs below the knee and recovered and made the podium in World Touring cars.

Maria has suffered a loss of one eye but she still has a lot left. What she does with it will define her more than the accident will.
good luck Maria.
Great example man, sure what u said is perfect. Surely she shouldn't give up and fight hard to come back strong in whatever she likes.

good luck Maria.

Zanardi won in 2005, 2006, 2008 and 2009 in WTCC!
I hope she gets behind the wheel of a touring car, i dont think that she will get into an F1 again, she might be mentally scarred by the incedent aswell.

The conclusion is basically that the car didn't do anything it shouldn't have.
Which, given the theories that the anti-stall system kicked in, sounds about right.
The anti-stall system kicking in, will put out 50% throttle. If the car isn't in neutral when that happens, it'll shoot forward.

The conclusion is basically that the car didn't do anything it shouldn't have.
Which, given the theories that the anti-stall system kicked in, sounds about right.
The anti-stall system kicking in, will put out 50% throttle. If the car isn't in neutral when that happens, it'll shoot forward.

Could it be that she thought she was in neutral, but was actually in first when she stopped, and then the revs picked up as you state? That would surely jolt the car forward quickly.

Thats precisely what some people reported at the time.
Apparently she was letting the car slow down, but it was still in gear.
It slowed to the point where the revs dropped too much then anti-stall kicked in.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 297 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 206 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 148 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 264 13.6%