Manor in talk with Mercedes over 2016 engine deal

engine 2016.png

It is understood that current F1 minnows, Manor Marussia, are currently in talks with Mercedes over a engine supply deal for the 2016 F1 season.

Manor, who have been competing this season with 2014 spec Ferrari engines in order to cut down on running costs of the team, are believed to have held talks with Mercedes personal at last weekends Italian Grand Prix about switching to Mercedes power in 2016, possibly in the wake of a Ferrari engine deal with Red Bull and Toro Rosso which could possibly see Manor pushed further down Ferrari's pecking order.

However, with the Renault take over deal of Lotus seemingly imminent, and the possibility of Red Bull using Mercedes engines next year now seemingly firmly off the table, this opens the door for Mercedes to supply one new team; replacing their current engine deal with Lotus.

Mercedes' head of motorsport Toto Wolff has said that "on the engine, we had some discussions (with Manor) and they're interested in exploring the competitive environment... they have a Ferrari engine today, but it's a young team and a new team and they need to meet with all engine suppliers and make the best deal for yourself."

The rumour gains even further weight when you consider that Wolff, amongst others at Mercedes, are eager to promote test driver Pascal Wehrlein onto the F1 grid.

Wolff was quoted as saying that he's "a keen supporter of Pascal because he's doing a great job in the DTM and he was an outstanding kid in F3 as well... so I definitely see him having the potential to go into F1". However he did also confirm that it was too early to open formal talks with Manor over potential drivers for 2016, but now that a Force India seat is off the cards for Wehrlein that Mercedes are looking at " the other teams."

Do you think a Mercedes will help Manor finally break into the midfield? Or even just put them ahead of McLaren? Share you opinion below!

they will challenge McLaren. Just a real shame two rookie/pay drivers could be challenging two F1 world champions and top class drivers just due to the engine being 100BHP faster.

It'll help, but they'll still be at the back. They need serious money.
With 2016 Merc instead of a 2014 Ferrari, one pay and one free driver, an actual new car, not a slightly modified 2014 car, I think it would look fairly nice for Manor!

Regarding differences in engines, it have always been like that, it's just the last years everything have been supposed to be equal.

Here's what I've heard is going on the Topic, correct me if I'm wrong

Mercedes have been desperate to get Wehrlein into F1. They've being trying to get Force India to sign him but they've refused. Manor would be a great place to get Wehrlein into F1, as he's very talented (I stand corrected on the other thread where I said I didn't see him going to F1 :D), however of course, they will only probably put him in a Manor Mercedes. Hence the deal. Do that would be Wehrlein in the Manor with (apparently) either Magnussen or Vandoorne.

I'm really excited by this, Mercedes would save the Manor. With a Mercedes and a proper car, Manor could be scoring some decent points, getting them all important championship points :thumbsup: So go Manor :thumbsup::inlove:

Not a chance that a McLaren-Honda Jr get's put in Merc B!

But what other choice do McLaren have at the moment. They can't really afford to lose Magnussen or Vandoorne at this point. They've put them in a sticky situation having three talented junior drivers trying to break into a team with two of the most experienced on this grid. Even if Button leaves this season, there's still one driver what isn't going to wait for McLaren forever. Let's say they choose Magnussen to drive for McLaren, then Get Vandoorne some experience with Manor as they'll lose one of the, if they don't judge this right

But what other choice do McLaren have at the moment. They can't really afford to lose Magnussen or Vandoorne at this point. They've put them in a sticky situation having three talented junior drivers trying to break into a team with two of the most experienced on this grid. Even if Button leaves this season, there's still one driver what isn't going to wait for McLaren forever. Let's say they choose Magnussen to drive for McLaren, then Get Vandoorne some experience with Manor as they'll lose one of the, if they don't judge this right

It's more a case of Merc probably not wanting a McLaren-Honda Jr in their B-team.
Along with Manor most likely wanting quite a bit of money for that second seat.

The rumours I've read regarding Merc and Manor, is that Merc (Brackley) wants Manor as a Junior/experimental team.

The only way Wehrlein is going to F1 next year, is Mercedes securing a deal with Manor before the end of the season and putting Wehrlein in for one race at least. That way he will be able to get a Superlicense this year, which is important, as he doesn't have enough points to take it next year.

5 GP's? I knew that once you get a Superlicense it is fully "valid" and it lasts all the way you are in F1, plus for 3 more years when you leave.

"Existing F1 drivers can remain eligible as long as they have driven in five grands prix in the previous year, or 15 over the previous three years."

If that hadn't been a requirement, he could've just applied for a superlicense already, as he have done enough km's. Actually, I think he already have, as he is the reserve driver for Mercedes.

I chose "Yes", but with the certainty that they're probably going to be in the lower mid field, where we find Force India in this season. Especially the case Force India and Williams shows, that having just a good engine doesn't neccesarely translate into good results!

The rest of the car needs to be on par and the drivers need to improve as well. With the rumors surrounding a comeback of Guitierrez and especially Vergne, these two could be amazing drivers, which already have experience in F1 and could help them improve even more!

I sure hope that the bigger teams will help out the smaller teams to establish themselfes into F1 instead of vanishing into nothingness after just a couple of season because of the lack of funding and sponsoring. The F1 desperately needs new teams that are actually competitive to a certain degree to make F1 interesting again!

The chassis is a sh*t, but is the 2014 chassis.

In the next season, ¿why not?

P.S. The Marrusia's car loves the industrial cars (María de Villota and Bianchi) R.I.P :(

I imagine you get very limited experience in a team like Manor. You're racing on your own and getting blue flagged every two seconds. And there's such a huge difference in backmarker cars and front/mid runners that I doubt much you learn in your Manor car can be taken into any potential front/mid team.

Be honest: Six months ago, did most of the F1 fanbase expect Manor to not only be running, but steadily gaining sponsors and support, consistently finishing races, with both rookie drivers pushing each other over the course of the season, and now negotiating a new engine deal with Mercedes?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 273 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 399 40.0%