Malaysian Grand Prix future under threat?

Malaysia Grand Prix Formula 1.jpg

Malaysian Grand Prix organizers are seeking better terms for a new deal to host the race, raising questions about the race’s future as F1 makes its annual visit this weekend.

The grand prix, held at the Sepang circuit since 1999, was the first of a slew of races added in new markets to the F1 calendar, but as its current hosting deal with Formula One Management (FOM) ends this year, it is believed the ever-present issue of high hosting fees has so far prevented a new deal from 2016 onwards.

The news comes after the FIA World Motor Sport Council officially struck Germany off the calendar last week, with a combination of fees and the limited time to promote the race causing both Hockenheim and Nürburgring to pull out of holding the race.

Sepang chairman Mokhzani Mahatir said that discussions are continuing with FOM to reach an agreement, but also told Bernama News Agency that “We want a win-win situation. There are several issues which I'm still not very satisfied and if we can discuss this further, we will renew the contract for another three years.”

But don't expect Malaysia to get special treatment if the negotiations fail. Even more recently added hosts like Valencia, South Korea and India have since fallen off the calendar, and with Mexico added for this year, Azerbaijan coming for 2016 and Qatar reportedly on the verge of their own deal, F1's glamour and international exposure is still in high demand, hence the high race prices simultaneously forcing off those who can no longer afford it.

I dunno. Maybe musical tracks is not so bad. But if they ever mess with core tracks, like Monza, Suzuka, or Spa, they are finished.

• Deleted member 130869

Interesting, Malaysia is suffering from the issue it pretty much instated into F1 - a local government shelling out dozens of millions more than the regular F1 promoter fee in order to secure its spot in the calendar and enter the glamorous business world of F1.

It is rumored it started the first 30 mi Euro deal in the calendar with nowadays other similar GPs - Turkey, China, Singapore, South Korea, and soon Azerbaijan - paying 35 million or more to have a spot in the calendar. Thanks for helping f-up F1 by making Bernie realize he could milk all the money possible from people regardless of the detriment to the show and severe lack of interesting and historic tracks.

It would be a shame in my view as Sepang is a good track and it has stood the test of time very well. The late afternoon starts did however cause havoc with monsoons interrupting things.

Sometimes its easy to think of the Iconic tracks such as Spa, Monza, Monaco, Silverstone and "The Rest". Some of them have been good, some not so good. EG Valencia was ugly on TV and boring for racing. India was pretty good in my view.

However Bernies interests are purely commercial. He will sell to the highest bidder. Anyone who saw him cosying up to Putin in a stage managed photo op at Sochi 2 weeks after the Airliner shootdown by Russian hardware will know or a race in Bahrain after citizens were being gunned down by their state.

But that is his job, to squeeze everything he can out of the host tracks and the TV companies.
I just hope I do hope we aren't left with a slew of GPs in deserts hosted by oil rich middle eastern countries (where if you pay double you can have a jewel in the crown GP with double points) and
insta- tracks built by corrupt dictators with embezzelled money.

If I were either Monza, Spa, Monaco or Silverstone I would form an assosciation and negotiate as a bloc. Now that would be interesting!

It would be a shame in my view as Sepang is a good track and it has stood the test of time very well. The late afternoon starts did however cause havoc with monsoons interrupting things.

Sometimes its easy to think of the Iconic tracks such as Spa, Monza, Monaco, Silverstone and "The Rest". Some of them have been good, some not so good. EG Valencia was ugly on TV and boring for racing. India was pretty good in my view.

However Bernies interests are purely commercial. He will sell to the highest bidder. Anyone who saw him cosying up to Putin in a stage managed photo op at Sochi 2 weeks after the Airliner shootdown by Russian hardware will know or a race in Bahrain after citizens were being gunned down by their state.

But that is his job, to squeeze everything he can out of the host tracks and the TV companies.
I just hope I do hope we aren't left with a slew of GPs in deserts hosted by oil rich middle eastern countries (where if you pay double you can have a jewel in the crown GP with double points) and
insta- tracks built by corrupt dictators with embezzelled money.

If I were either Monza, Spa, Monaco or Silverstone I would form an assosciation and negotiate as a bloc. Now that would be interesting!

I agree with all of this. I don't think even Bernie is that stupid...enough to yank a Spa...but I do remember he threatened it. To me, that would spell the end of F1 as I know it. Monza on the chopping block? As much as I hate the track, I'll defend it as a must until I die. Those fans *must* have a race. It's just not negotiable. At least to me.

Some cannot do without F1...that's the real shame. But if they end up as you say and yank tracks in America, Asia, South America, and Canada, then they really can't be labeled an international series, or "the pinnacle" I don't think. The pinnacle of oil producing nations and cash rich dictators maybe.

Interesting, Malaysia is suffering from the issue it pretty much instated into F1 - a local government shelling out dozens of millions more than the regular F1 promoter fee in order to secure its spot in the calendar and enter the glamorous business world of F1.

It is rumored it started the first 30 mi Euro deal in the calendar with nowadays other similar GPs - Turkey, China, Singapore, South Korea, and soon Azerbaijan - paying 35 million or more to have a spot in the calendar. Thanks for helping f-up F1 by making Bernie realize he could milk all the money possible from people regardless of the detriment to the show and severe lack of interesting and historic tracks.

Well in 1999 when they first got the race in malaysia we already have a rich history in international motorsport scene among 'new markets' such moto gp since late 80s and WSC in 1985, so its logical for the promoter to think about bringing f1 here. i would say that was a brave move, it wasnt until 2004 with bahrain that other countries realize the potential of f1 brings to tourism in the country that hosts it.

regardless of how much sepang paid to host the race they surely cant be blamed for the rising cost of organizing a race since bernie is already a money making machine. he will find ways to make more money for his employer regardless of sepang paid 30 mil or not...

• Deleted member 130869

When Bernie can push a race to a government somewhere and be paid 35-40 million Euro, instead of the 18 he milks big time out of the regular tracks (except Monaco which is about 12), he is not going to look for a compromise. FOM gets revenue from pretty much all that goes on with the tracks, I have to check to see if the local host gets ticket sales or local sponsorship. Even paddock passes and space is cashed in by FOM.

ps: I think Sepang is the best (by far the least worst) Tilke creation. Even Turkey I didn't like to be honest, sure there is turn 8 but it's one piece of the whole thing.

MOD edit: I have merged your post into one m8. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but he needs to find a balance as with 19 races on new world tracks that dont include say Monaco, Spa, Monza and some of the iconic tracks, it might just lose some of its sparkle and a race might not be worth 35m.

Yes but he needs to find a balance as with 19 races on new world tracks that dont include say Monaco, Spa, Monza and some of the iconic tracks, it might just lose some of its sparkle and a race might not be worth 35m.

And then he will learn real quick that it's not the dictators that control the locations, but the fans...just like NASCAR did. If the fans have the guts to not watch.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 315 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 447 39.3%