- Oct 27, 2014
Malaysian Grand Prix organizers are seeking better terms for a new deal to host the race, raising questions about the race’s future as F1 makes its annual visit this weekend.
The grand prix, held at the Sepang circuit since 1999, was the first of a slew of races added in new markets to the F1 calendar, but as its current hosting deal with Formula One Management (FOM) ends this year, it is believed the ever-present issue of high hosting fees has so far prevented a new deal from 2016 onwards.
The news comes after the FIA World Motor Sport Council officially struck Germany off the calendar last week, with a combination of fees and the limited time to promote the race causing both Hockenheim and Nürburgring to pull out of holding the race.
Sepang chairman Mokhzani Mahatir said that discussions are continuing with FOM to reach an agreement, but also told Bernama News Agency that “We want a win-win situation. There are several issues which I'm still not very satisfied and if we can discuss this further, we will renew the contract for another three years.”
But don't expect Malaysia to get special treatment if the negotiations fail. Even more recently added hosts like Valencia, South Korea and India have since fallen off the calendar, and with Mexico added for this year, Azerbaijan coming for 2016 and Qatar reportedly on the verge of their own deal, F1's glamour and international exposure is still in high demand, hence the high race prices simultaneously forcing off those who can no longer afford it.