Making the AI More realistic

Hello guys is it possible to make it so the AI cars overtaking is a lot more realistic and is similar to the real simracing leagues. Also is it possible to make the ai have more realistic crashes and to make the AI behave as much like real simracing drivers as possible. Thanks :)

You will need to edit your .PLR file to change the strength of the AI

Go to your rFactor/User Data/Your Driver Name, look for the PLR file that matches your driver name and open that with notepad or some other text editor.

Click edit, find and type Game Options [enter]

You can them make changes to the following which help get your desired results.

QUICK AI Driver Strength="110" // 100 should approximate real life

AI Power Calibration="7" // Adjustments with AI strength (0=none, or add the following: 1=power, 2=gearing, 4=fuel)
AI Fuel Mult="0.99000" // Additional fuel multiplier for AIs because of their driving style
AI Tire Model="0.40000" // 0.0 = use AI peak slip, 1.0 = use player's dynamic slip, or a blend between the two (can be overrode in TBC with AITireModel)
AI Brake_Power Usage="0.98000" // Fraction of theoretical brake power that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Brake_Grip Usage="0.97250" // Fraction of theoretical brake grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Corner_Grip Usage="0.97000" // Fraction of theoretical cornering grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Max Load="40000.00000" // Maximum total load to set up theoretical performance tables (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Min Radius="20.00000" // Minimum radius turn to set up theoretical performance tables (can be overrode in HDV)
AI to AI Collision Rate="20" // Detection rate per second (1-40) for AI-to-AI collisions

Autocalibrate AI Mode="0" // When in a test day with 1 AI, AI will attempt to perfect his driving line, and save his knowledge for future use

AI Limiter="1.00000" // Range: 0.0 (no limiting) - 1.0 (limiting used to make racing closer but also make more driver differences on flat-out tracks)
AI Mistakes="0.00000" // a range of (intentional) AI mistakes from 0.0 (none) to 1.0 (sometimes). Anything above 1.0 multiplies the frequency

Before making any changes, back up your PLR file so you can revert back if your game becomes messed up due to any changes you made.

You will need to edit your .PLR file to change the strength of the AI

Go to your rFactor/User Data/Your Driver Name, look for the PLR file that matches your driver name and open that with notepad or some other text editor.

Click edit, find and type Game Options [enter]

You can them make changes to the following which help get your desired results.

QUICK AI Driver Strength="110" // 100 should approximate real life

AI Power Calibration="7" // Adjustments with AI strength (0=none, or add the following: 1=power, 2=gearing, 4=fuel)
AI Fuel Mult="0.99000" // Additional fuel multiplier for AIs because of their driving style
AI Tire Model="0.40000" // 0.0 = use AI peak slip, 1.0 = use player's dynamic slip, or a blend between the two (can be overrode in TBC with AITireModel)
AI Brake_Power Usage="0.98000" // Fraction of theoretical brake power that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Brake_Grip Usage="0.97250" // Fraction of theoretical brake grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Corner_Grip Usage="0.97000" // Fraction of theoretical cornering grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Max Load="40000.00000" // Maximum total load to set up theoretical performance tables (can be overrode in HDV)
AI Min Radius="20.00000" // Minimum radius turn to set up theoretical performance tables (can be overrode in HDV)
AI to AI Collision Rate="20" // Detection rate per second (1-40) for AI-to-AI collisions

Autocalibrate AI Mode="0" // When in a test day with 1 AI, AI will attempt to perfect his driving line, and save his knowledge for future use

AI Limiter="1.00000" // Range: 0.0 (no limiting) - 1.0 (limiting used to make racing closer but also make more driver differences on flat-out tracks)
AI Mistakes="0.00000" // a range of (intentional) AI mistakes from 0.0 (none) to 1.0 (sometimes). Anything above 1.0 multiplies the frequency

Before making any changes, back up your PLR file so you can revert back if your game becomes messed up due to any changes you made.

Interesting, well done.

Any way to make AI lap other AI properly under blue flags?

You could try tweaking the following in the .PLR file

QUICK Flag Rules="2" // Level of rule enforcement, 0=none, 1=penalties only, 2=penalties & full-course yellows
MULTI Flag Rules="2"
QUICK BlueFlags="7" // 0=none, 1=show but never penalize, 2=show and penalize if following within 0.3 seconds, 3=0.5s, 4=0.7s, 5=0.9s, 6=1.1s, 7=use RFM value "BlueFlags=<0-6>" (default is 3)
MULTI BlueFlags="7"

Or when in game, go to Customize/Settings/Difficulty then raise or lower the A.I Strength and Aggression.

Not much else you can do as the A.I. in rFactor is pretty poor.

I ran a few laps testing with the Enduro Racers Mod on Thruxton (1 minute laps) and Le Mans (4 minute laps). I had the Blue Flag rules set to 3.

The P1 cars had little trouble lapping the slower GT2 cars on the straights. Watching from GT2 cockpits, no blue flag was shown. It could be that blue flags are not visibly shown to A.I. unlike human drivers. They also managed to get through under braking coming into a turn quite nicely. Going around a turn is still getting them held up. Somewhat akin to real world racing.

You may find different results using other cars/mods or different tracks.

As far as the launch control question, I could not find anything in the .PLR file that can be edited. That might be a mod specific thing and as I don't mod, I can't answer. Perhaps someone that knows could reply.

Considering that A.I. drives a pretty good line and consistently from the word go, 0.3 of a difference with the Autocalibrate AI Mode set is quite huge.

Over a 20 lap race, they should be 5.4 seconds faster in total.which is an eternity in GT cars.

I have had some success with the Talent files - for the top 10 drivers, put the aggression in the 80s, and lower the courtesy. For the bottom 10 drivers, lower the aggression and raise the courtesy. Also alter the speed so that top drivers are much quicker & bottom drivers much slower.
I have also created individual hdv files for the cars, so you can edit their power on an individual basis.

Any of these changes help make a bigger spread between fastest and slowest, and so the leaders pass the back markers much more easily and realistically.

Now speaking of talent files, please can someone tell me what each part of the talent file does, eg. Courtesy, Composure, etc and plz can you tell me what is the most realistic number to put the front runners and the most realistic number to put backmarkers on for each.

I have found the main ones to be speed and aggression.
I set the front runners with aggression between 70 and 80, and speed in the 90s.
I set the tail-enders aggression to 40 or less, and speed less than 50.
I find this helps when the leaders are trying to lap the slower cars. OK, the AI are not programmed to deal with blue flags, but this makes them easier to be overtaken.
I also set courtesy lower for the leaders and higher for the backmarkers for the same reason, but I am not certain this makes any difference.
Aggression is just that- higher aggression makes the dirvers more likely to race closer or brake later but if you over-do this number it can cause too many crashes and rear-end shunts.
Speed defines the top speed performance of each driver, self explanatory.
Minracingskill is a variable, so even the top drivers can fall down to the number you set.
Reputation - not sure this has any effect at all.
Composure - similar to courtesy, I am not convinced it has much effect, but I have set my leaders with higher composure.
crash: AI seem to crash more as this number gets higher.
recovery: higher number= better recovery from crashes
I cannot guarantee these, but I have spent a lot of time adjusting talent files to improve my offline racing, and I have definitely found the above to be true.
(I also like to alter the engine power of individual cars in the hdv, which really helps the overtaking of backmarkers, and spreads the field a bit more realistically).

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 315 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 447 39.3%