Magny-Cours 2023

Tracks Magny-Cours 2023 1.6

Login or Register an account to download this content
Schmuckiiii submitted a new resource:

Magny-Cours 2021 - Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours Updated to 2021 for AC

View attachment 481984
Welcome to Magny-Cours 2021 for AC!
Located in the city of Magny-Cours in France, this track is absolutely one of the best french circuits, it hosted the F1 French GP until the 2008 season and now it hosts Sportscar races, Motorcycle races and other categories.

Credits: Made from scratch by scmh and Thomas7 based on 2020 and 2021 onboards and races...

Read more about this resource...

Hey Schmuckiiii, nice job for your first track, that's pretty great overall and we badly needed a new Magny-cours on AC, thanks for that.
Here's my feedback of bits and things I've noticed could be improved/fixed pretty easily, all of it is about visual quality only because I don't think I'm qualified enough to give any feedback about how it drives :
- most tree sprites are only one way textures, making some parts of the track pretty empty and weird with the shadows still being cast.
Sans titre.jpg
Sans titre.jpg
- Same thing with safety barriers, especially along the pit lane, in the S2 hairpin and on top of bridges.
Sans titre.jpg
Sans titre.jpg
- skidmarking is a bit rough, you can see some sharp angles when it curves, and I think adding some blur would make it look better, also some are probably missing around the braking point in the right turn before the last chicane.
Sans titre.jpg
- I'm no expert, and I never went to Magny-cours, so it might be intentionnal, but I find the asphalt texture a bit weird with the lateral cracks all around. Wouldn't it be more natural with the texture rotated 90° to make the cracks follow the road along its length rather than its width ? current texture is also quite noticably repetitive, but that's another problem and a hard one to solve, some road texturing expert could help you, I think there's a great tutorial by Lilski about that.
- Start/finish spectator grandstands are pretty broken, again a lot of one way textures used in most stands around the track, resulting in great loss of detail.
Sans titre.jpg
- A bit of Z-fighting can be observed in the grass along the bank of the straight S1-S2.
Sans titre.jpg
- I think the only thing badly missing would be some grassFX, I don't know how to but shouldn't be too hard to find around here.

Last edited:
Looks like RTB was used, so probably on top of the Google elevation API, which is far from accurate.

But the width should've been ok, unless there was bad distortion on the satellite image.

I dont speak french.. but tried looking for some lidar data (wont help in this case, since its RTB) but doesnt look like there's data for Nevers region

Looks like RTB was used, so probably on top of the Google elevation API, which is far from accurate.

But the width should've been ok, unless there was bad distortion on the satellite image.

I dont speak french.. but tried looking for some lidar data (wont help in this case, since its RTB) but doesnt look like there's data for Nevers region
iirc google maps does have some distortion but I'm not 100% sure

and just as a test, I put the racingcircuits layout that pre9v used in his image into BTB to see how it would go and it was ~4.33km in lenght, not the 4.41km listed in racingcircuits so google maps probably have some kind of distortion but idk

1623946564772.png

Schmuckiiii updated Magny-Cours 2021 with a new update entry:

MC21 Update v1.1

Changes:
- Fixed trees not showing depending on which side you looked
- Fixed pitwall not showing depending on which side you looked
- Fixed catchfencing not showing depending on which side you looked
- Improved tarmac
- Improved skidmarks
- Turn 15 completely remade, now being closer to reality
- Updated the kerb on the apex of the Adelaide hairpin (Turn 5) to make it more realistic
- Fixed some problem on the gravel-asphalt transition
- Improved Turn 2
- Improved AI
- Fixed left...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I'm looking at it, from what I know they are working fine in races, but in practices or qualifyings they do not leave the pits for some reason.
The pitlane AI line should only be recorded from just before pit-entry (exiting the racing line to enter the pits) to just after pit-exit (entering the racing line). So from about T15 to T3.
Also, don't record going into the pitbox. Just do a drive-through.

Sadly doing so still doesn't fix it. There's probably something else going on. Maybe the AI gets confused because of the huge cluster of 1WALL-objects nearby? 'Replace' your pitlane buildings and barriers with simple vertical hidden walls, the same as per Lilski's tutorial on barriers and such. https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/proper-technique-in-track-making-plus-tips.122794/ (first post: "fourth offence")

Performance-wise this can use some optimisation. The draw calls are through the roof (reaches 10.000 easily, where around 2000 should be maximum). Try reducing them by joining objects (primarily the trees using KSTREE_GROUP_etc, cars and lamp posts and such).

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 360 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 501 39.0%