Lower Back Pain

I just changed from a cheapo bucket seat to a second hand Simoni sports seat, reclining, for similar reasons, tho in my case it was more issues with my shoulders as I'm very wide shouldered and the old seat, well, wasn't :redface:

Generally I'd now advice people to rather go for second hand real car seat, rather than full racing bucket seats or cheap sim only imitations of those. Even if it looks the deal, it may not be of the same quality and offer the same back support. Doesn't have to cost much, just keep an eye on ebay or try looking at scrap heaps.

Hey folks

Recently upgraded from desk racing to an 80/20 rig. The transition has been brilliant, having a fixed based has improved immersion massively.

However, I am struggling quite a bit with lower back pain now when using the rig and it tends to persist afterwards as well. I don't tend to struggle with my back much, I have had back pain when changing cars previously but this usually goes away after a while. (For context I have an Alpine A110 with these seats and have no issues on long journeys).

I have tried a few of the tips after reading around, my seat is tilted as far as it can, I also try to sit with my backside right to the back of the chair. I currently have it set up like this, (sorry can't take a picture of myself sat in it) any other tips to avoid backache, or, as per my previous experience with car seats, should I just continue racing and expect my back to get used to the position eventually? I am conscious of not destroying my back but similarly I just want to race! Final attempt to resolve will be to try a different seat but would like to avoid this.
Not so cool maybe, but I bought a used classical Recaro seat for my rig, oh man this thing is soooo good for the back! Not really a bucket seat, but traditional sports car seat where you can change the angle of the back rest etc.

Update on this and sadly not the update I was really hoping for. I tried loads with my previous seat (ltec Pro) to try and get it to work. Tried lumber support, additional cushioning and every seating position imaginable, nothing worked. I then sold the seat and tried again, this time even going to a store and trying loads of different seats, thought I had choosen one that fit me well and seemed really comfortable/supportive (Mirco RS7). However, after more weeks of trying this seat in various positions/pedals in various positions, reducing the brake pressure and even buying new pedals to give me more flexibility with the heel plate, I am still in the same position where the rig is causing me considerable issues with my back. Sadly, it looks like the rig will have to go.

Last edited:
Oh, that's sad to hear! But the Mirco is also a bucket seat with rather thin upholstery and no adjustment possibility, not? Why don't you try buying an old, really comfortable e.g. big leather car seat and put it on your rig? You could even look for one with built in back massage functionality. Something like this for example

I used to suffer from bad back pain from too many hours in the sim.
I found i crouched toward the steering wheel and it made my back sore.
I bought on ebay a 4 point harness and it keeps me in a good position. My back has improved immensely and so has my driving. Best $50 investment i ever made
Jeff

I have some issues as well, but are related to injuries from long ago, that are largely manageable, but tend to complain in certain situations:
- firstly, and probably the largest factor, is when I gain a few kilos myself. I've really found that it makes a huge difference to my lower back, if I can keep my own weight from creeping up. I don't think it impacts how I sit in the rig, but just increases the stress throughout the days/nights and then limits the sitting endurance I have (I also got a stand-up desk to deal with this issue)
- I purchased a smaller memory foam sleeping pillow. Cut it down and inserted behind my lower back. It does make quite a difference to the comfort and time I can stay in the seat. Small downside, the vibrations from tactile become a bit lower, but it's much more comfortable over time. I still can't do long term sessions, but can make it at least 2 hours now (where before 1 hour was max max)
- I don't want a super soft/cushy seat because I don't see that as the solution. It has more to do with the position, correct angle of my back, and most importantly, keeping a few kilos off and strengthening the core a bit more.

Good luck.

Update on this and sadly not the update I was really hoping for. I tried loads with my previous seat (ltec Pro) to try and get it to work. Tried lumber support, additional cushioning and every seating position imaginable, nothing worked. I then sold the seat and tried again, this time even going to a store and trying loads of different seats, thought I had choosen one that fit me well and seemed really comfortable/supportive (Mirco RS7). However, after more weeks of trying this seat in various positions/pedals in various positions, reducing the brake pressure and even buying new pedals to give me more flexibility with the heel plate, I am still in the same position where the rig is causing me considerable issues with my back. Sadly, it looks like the rig will have to go.
I have neck and shoulder issues from getting rear ended at a red light. I used to have to be really careful how long i played for and how strong i ran the ffb to not cause myself lots of discomfort after playing. I finally set my rig up off the driver position post on Ricmotech and it is worlds better now. For the most part zero pain even after playing for hours at a time. Its real easy to set the seating up so youre using the wrong muscles which is amplified if you have back issues. Just a thought before you give up.

I think we've reached the point where "the Internet" has outlived it's usefullness and the case belongs into the hands of a medical professional.

When you suffer from serious pain for so long there could be a major issue with your back, so gather up your courage and see a doctor ;-)

MFG Carsten

If you want to do it right then have an ergonomic/repetitive stress injury consultant come by to help you set things up. Lots of little things can affect, but the two main issues to look out for.

1. Does the seat cause pain/discomfort/circulation issues when just sitting in it for an extended period?
2. How do your driving mechanics affect the foregoing? Does turning the wheel cause you to transfer too much torque into your back? Does pedal work transfer force into your hips/twist you in the seat/etc?

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 239 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 237 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years