Lowe Takes 'Leave of Absence' From Williams

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Paddy Lowe Leaves Williams.jpg

Team chief Paddy Lowe has taken a leave of absence from the Williams team, according to a brief statement issued by the squad today.

Having re-joined the British outfit following a successful spell at multiple championship winning squad Mercedes, many believed the signing of Lowe as Chief Technical Officer for the once great team was something of a coup for Williams, and would mark the start of a long rebuilding process as the Grove based outfit looked to return to race winning form in Formula One.

Unfortunately, the first year of the 56-year-old engineers tenure at Williams would coincide with one of the least competitive seasons in the history of the team, made worse by what can only be described as a disastrous start to preparations for the upcoming campaign - leading to what Williams have described as a 'leave of absence' from the British outfit, effective immediately.

“Paddy is taking a leave of absence from the business for personal reasons.” said Williams on Wednesday, just over one week prior to the start of the racing season in Melbourne at the Albert Park street circuit.

The exact reasons for the departure of Lowe have yet to be revealed by the squad, and come just a few days after Lowe admitted to the media he has no concerns about his future with the multiple championship winning constructors, a team that he remains a shareholder of following his defection from Mercedes at the end of 2016.

How long Lowe is expected to be away from the pit wall remains to be seen. More news to follow when it becomes available...

Stay tuned to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum to keep abreast of the latest news and discussions from the world of Grand Prix racing.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Not a promising sign for Williams that this is going to be a year for improving.
I cant help but think what Sir Patrick Head makes of all this and the teams dismal downfall.

Mr. Latte beat me to it. For the love of all things holy, get Mr. Head back in that shop STAT. I mean, come on.

What the heck is happening over there?

Smedley? Think he'd come back? I don't even know anymore with this outfit. I was really looking forward to Kubica hurtling around in a nice tidy car. Nothing fancy, just solid. Just like Patrick Head did with his first Williams car design.

I think the writing's on the wall for Williams, sadly. Claire's done the best she could, but obviously it's not enough. This outfit has slowly waned to it's current state of rock bottom since Sir Frank took a backseat.
I give Williams 2yrs till it becomes part of F1 history.

Doesn't Claire just handle the commercial side? It may be Frank that needs to retire at this point.

Something is seriously wrong if they can't get their act together with the best engine in F1.

+1 I feel the same for F1 as a whole seems to get further removed by never ending changes

What other series these days does not use some form of bop / leveling ..........tractor pulls, mud races ?

More interesting to do caption for news picture ( I miss those )
Paddy with thought bubble ..................... " yabba dabba doo ! Here I come FE ! "

Its looking like they'll get back to back dead last constructor championships in 2019.
They have had so little track time in 2019 testing and the Melbourne is a week away.

This SUCKS for Kubica, he deserves far far better then this heap of a team.

Everybody is complaining about Claire but she's not a constructor, right? I've never seen CEO working at a production line at the factory. Williams' problem is much deeper, I think. Isn't that strange, that only Merc buyers didn't make much during last season? I guess Merc engines is pretty costly for the team at this level of financial struggle. Force India/Racing Point is kinda struggling too, not only because of bankruptcy; Mercedes team don't like too much competition from their clients, making some kind of LMP1-LMP2 stuff with factory/rich teams at the top. F1 is going to the biggest crisis since FISA-FOCA

Everybody is complaining about Claire but she's not a constructor, right? I've never seen CEO working at a production line at the factory. Williams' problem is much deeper, I think. Isn't that strange, that only Merc buyers didn't make much during last season? I guess Merc engines is pretty costly for the team at this level of financial struggle. Force India/Racing Point is kinda struggling too, not only because of bankruptcy; Mercedes team don't like too much competition from their clients, making some kind of LMP1-LMP2 stuff with factory/rich teams at the top. F1 is going to the biggest crisis since FISA-FOCA
There is a saying in business, the fish rots from the head down....

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 93 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 129 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 173 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 341 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 473 39.0%