Lowe Takes 'Leave of Absence' From Williams

Very sad news for the team but I am surprised they've taken this route.

Simply because you are removing one of your key personnel just before the start of the season. Which in my view is the worst thing to do.

It's Paddy's (and his technical team) overall responsibility for the car so get him and his team to sort it out. If after three months there are still serious problems, then yes send him packing to his garden shed.

I have some sympathy though. One thing we have to remember is that this years regulations seem to have hit the smaller teams very hard. Their situation is slightly different I know but Force India are having to develop their 2018 car into a 2019 car and they too didn't turn up to testing with a bonafide 2019 car. It was a test mule if you like with the 2019 parts on it. Williams on the other hand decided to go all in and try and get their 2019 car ready from the offset. This just didn't work. The car wasn't ready, the parts weren't made and it's hit them very hard.

I can see both teams (including McLaren) struggling this year. More than ever F1 is about big manufacturers, just the way it is but it's still slightly sad to me. Red Bull being the exception I guess but you see what I mean.

Fingers crossed that Williams manage to get this sorted quickly. It'll probably be the European part of the season before we see any progress. My biggest concern for them at the moment is that it appears the new car is chewing through it's tyres at a frightening rate (2 secs a lap drop off after 10 laps on the softer compounds in testing).

On another subject I am still slightly surprised about Robert. Why? Because he tested numerous cars in various formula (WEC, GT, and so on) and stated he was only interested in a competitive seat....and then he signs for an F1 team that's suffering. He's already starting to sound pretty fed up (what I've read but also the interviews I've seen) so I wonder if we'll see him in the car for much longer. He'll certainly be finishing last or near last for the first few races. Hoping he sticks with it rather than walks away.

This kind of news is so hard to read when you imagine being a part of that outfit. Is it too little too late for them? When even McLaren struggles with enough cash, what more if you have less.

I guess it's easier to jump ship if you realize it's no longer important to stay.

This kind of news is so hard to read when you imagine being a part of that outfit. Is it too little too late for them? When even McLaren struggles with enough cash, what more if you have less.

I guess it's easier to jump ship if you realize it's no longer important to stay.

Good point, what do McLaren and Williams still need F1 for? Couldn't they not focus on less costly forms of motorsports where privateer teams like them have a better chance?

I think it's time for Williams to be sold and rebranded. They can't afford today's F1 and today's F1 only cares for the manufacturers, not the racing teams.

There are rumors that the car they built isn't even legal much less competitive. If your the chief and you don't even build a legal car and now have to make significant changes to get it under the regs....yeah, you're probably gonna see your way out.

I think he has had more than enough time to prove his worth. Better cut your losses and start afresh asap. Frank Williams is team principle in name only I believe. He is essentially paralysed as far as I can tell from latest health reports (admittedly they are pretty vague).

The leader is for all intent and purpose, Claire and I think she has proven she is not the right person for the job. She is obviously not able to surround herself with the best team for what's required.

Its time to re-evaluate the role of "Team Principle" and who would be best suited to take the team forward. However, once the rot starts, its very difficult to muster the money to attract the skills necessary to do the job when starting from the back foot.

It would be a shame to see such a legendary name like Williams end so badly in F1 and be sold off to the latest billionaire as his play thing, but it wouldn't be the first.

This says everything on Williams F1 situation. Do I have to add something more? :)

53270784_2231378000445027_7462504646007848960_n.jpg

On another subject I am still slightly surprised about Robert. Why? Because he tested numerous cars in various formula (WEC, GT, and so on) and stated he was only interested in a competitive seat....and then he signs for an F1 team that's suffering. He's already starting to sound pretty fed up (what I've read but also the interviews I've seen) so I wonder if we'll see him in the car for much longer. He'll certainly be finishing last or near last for the first few races. Hoping he sticks with it rather than walks away.

Kubicka is only in that car because he got them £9-£11million in sponsorship. He's basically just a pay driver now i'm sorry to say.
He obviously thinks he has some unfinished business in F1 but sadly after his accident his chances of ever being a serious contender (which i think he could have been by the way) were over. I think that's what he is trying to prove to not just other people but himself.

Kubicka is only in that car because he got them £9-£11million in sponsorship. He's basically just a pay driver now i'm sorry to say.
He obviously thinks he has some unfinished business in F1 but sadly after his accident his chances of ever being a serious contender (which i think he could have been by the way) were over. I think that's what he is trying to prove to not just other people but himself.

Although he won WRC2 title after his rally accident in his first year of competing up there. This is huge achievement. Considering that WRC2 is more challenging than F1.

Of course he wants to prove himself, of course he has natural speed. That made him so fast even in slow BMW and Renault.

Of course I am Pole, but we can't forget about those things.

He leaves such a small footprint at Williams, I don't recall ever saw him in actual Williams shirt, always in Mercedes. Just plain weird.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back