Lowe Starts Work at Williams

Lowe Williams.jpg
Paddy Lowe has started work at Williams after leaving Mercedes in January. The former McLaren technical director will replace Pat Symonds as chief technical officer, but will also take a shareholding of the team.

Lowe will also sit on the board of directors alongside Claire Williams and Mike O’Driscoll.

“I’ve always had a deep respect for Williams – my first team in Formula One,” Lowe said. “It is a huge honour to return in the leadership position and to have the opportunity to become a shareholder. I am extremely motivated to play my part in bringing success back to the team.

“The vision for the future set out by the Williams Board is powerful and has compelled me to join an organisation committed to building on its unique legacy and to reaching the pinnacle of Formula One once again.”

Lowe worked for Williams in the team’s glory days in the late 80s and early 90s, but has worked for a range of teams in his F1 career. He joined Mercedes in 2013, helping the team in its recent domination of the sport, but he failed to agree fresh terms with the team when his contract ended at the end of 2016.

Williams hopes Lowe can continue his success with them. The team fell behind Force India in the constructors’ championship last season, but appeared to be competitive during preseason testing.

“Having someone of Paddy’s calibre and engineering competence is not only a morale boost for everyone at Williams, but I know it will also significantly support our efforts to return this team back to the front of the grid,” deputy team principal Claire Williams said.

“Our ambitions at Williams are unwavering, we want to win races and championships, but to do that you need the best talent in the business.

“In Paddy we believe we have just that as well as a leader who will drive change. This is a game changer for us and once again makes us extremely excited about the team’s future.”

For more Formula One news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

Is Lowe a good replacement for Symonds? Do you think he’ll continue his success at Williams? Let us know in the comments below!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back