Love Cycling? Check out CyclingDepartment!

Very cool. I'll check it out.
I love cars, but I love bikes even more. I ride whenever I can: road, trail, or touring, whatever.
Also rode to work for 10+ years until I changed jobs 3 years ago. Now I drive really nice company cars to work, but I'ld rather be on my Surly Long Haul Trucker any day.

Also ride an All City MMD, a Surly Krampus, and a sweet Waterford Paramount OS from the late 1980s. :inlove:

Awesome!!! :) keep up the great work. Please though, while biking, no matter how good a rider you are and how carfeul you think you are, NEVER let you guard down, and Always be defensive , wear brite reflective gear and assume cars dont see you. Specially in this Cell phone age. ( sorry in advance for being you mother hahaha)

I road cycled for years, (did 24hr MT bike races) and 1 day I neglected to take my light and was out later then expected, and around dusk got hit by SUV at 25mph, and enjoying a wheelchair now! :)
And I was SUPER defensive and careful, and had 2000 lumen bike light. usually :( haha

Wow, you got me there !!! :inlove::thumbsup:
Apparently this is not at all inappropriate topic for RD, there's a lot of us here.
images

I drive for... about 5-6 years now. It wasn't for reasons Bram did but I love nature and I already climb the mountains and hiking near by hills so... this was kinda same. Only faster. lol
And I drive like a madman, cuz I don't know different. I have mountain bike, my trusty Scott Scale 70:
scott_scale_2008_compressed_104.jpg

(pic is not mine but my look very similar, front Rockshox is black and i have disc brakes)
I looove hills. Though I prefer tarmac (I hate to wash bike later lol and I loove the speed while downhill after climb). But since I love nature, I'm stil mountaineer and hiker, so I really love to go to nature with my bike now but like I said I do most of the trip on tarmac then some small part offroad. Part cause in my country hiker and biker off road tracks are something ...nonexistent. :poop:
IMG_0929.jpg

(this, once again is not me:D but it could easily be, if you know what I've mean:))
I don't have road bike for now but I change my tires on Scale to fit more to tarmac than offroad cuz I mainly drive on roads. (I got Schwalbe Hurricane, great tire for both worlds:))
But now my appetites are grow, I get used to high speeds, going faster and faster and now I was thinking about road bike too. I believe I reach the limit of mountain bikes.:D I'm the fastest cycler on my roads. I overtook everyone. They don't know what happened, I'm that fast. And yes, there was a crash :unsure:..or two (ok, there was four) but I crash less and less, since I get used to my ...trusty:D Scale.
Somewhat like Grosejean, yes.:p No, not like Maldonado, he never stops.

Anyway... long story, sorry, you got me with this topic...
speaking of speed - did anyone of you guys record how fast fastest you go ?
I watch the other day, on some (tarmac ofc) downhill I was as fast as 59 km/h. And I'm sure I was even faster than that on some other occasions when I didn't record my track. With my trusty:roflmao: Maverick app.
Which reminds me...
I'm really lucky I'm alive cuz I was.. dear Lord... take my mobile out of my pocket and watch (in real time, lol) how fast am I going - WHILE GOING FAST. :confused::inlove: Really... old habit, I'm happy, I get rid off. Hapier than Bram when he get rid of his bad old habits I'm sure. :D
Nice! my fastest downhill on road bike was 51 mph - 82 Km/h

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea @Bram and signed up already. Also very positive to hear your progress and recent achievements. Keep up the great work and if you are ever in Yorkshire in the UK let me know, would love to go on a scenic ride with you and enjoy the hills and countryside.

I warn you though that I prefer to start the ride from a rural pub car park so that you can enjoy a well earned pint when you finish :D

:confused:
Whata....
and I thought I was going fast. :whistling: Probably I was on some other hills going something over 60 - but still short to your ~82 by 15 or 20 km/h for sure. In my defence - my speeds are with mountain bike and yours with road, I'm sure. And mbt vs road tires too, let's not forget. =)
Sometimes I think.. what would really happened crashing with all those speeds. Maybe better not to think about it. :(

Say, you said you have gone in wheelchair after your accident then. Or ...you're still in them ? :unsure:

Last edited:
Nice, I got on the bike as well at the end of January after 8 years of basically no sport (but was very fit during school). Went from being out of breathe after 7km to being able to ride 100km+ with some hills. But I had an easier start I was already on a "low meat" diet since one or two years, no drugs (alcohol, cigarettes etc.) and no weight issues. Only "problem" now is I have to eat quite a lot more.

@Bram Do you mind sharing your strava profile?

Great writeup Bram, and an even better personal story. I grew up in Richmond, VA, which, you guessed it, was the home of Phillip Morris. Having many friends who worked there, let's just say they are good at what they do. :coffee: But not that good for you. Well done.

As part-time smoker and professional sitter, this new bicycling angle can be nothing but good, if we choose to follow it. After thinking you would push the racing angle of biking, learning about your race to stay healthy is more than good enough. As you say, those who are not there yet, will soon be. :)

Woah! I had 69 on my (mates) mountain bike a couple of years ago. I felt that was dangerous enough!
But then again, I felt I stood still, and clocked in on 65 km/h during alpine skiing some years ago - and then I felt I was going slow compared to what I usually did O.o
When karting, I easily passed 100, that felt dead slow as well.

Speed is strange!

Last edited:
Woah! I had 69 on my (mates) mountain bike a couple of years ago. I felt that was dangerous enough!
But then again, I felt I stood still, and clocked in on 65 km/h during alpine skiing some years ago - and then I felt I was going slow compared to what I usually did O.o
When karting, I easily passed 100, that felt dead slow as well.

Speed is strange!
Speed is just another acquired habit of man. It's not until you crash, you realise how fast you were going.

Loving the idea here.., Back when I was young and more stupid I did some downhill MTB racing we setup with friend on old logging roads. I will never forget the sound of the air humming through the lugs on those tires while we hit 55-60 MPH on some parts. and then wondering if I put enough grease in the hubs when I repacked them... I might have to give this new site a look and dust off the old bike. we kinda cheated back then and only went downhill.. we used trucks to get them back to the top :) I might have to try pedaling this time

I walk 5 km a day in Winter and jog three times a week in Summer.
And three times a week also do pushups,situps and leg squats.
And every day I practice drumming with steel drumsticks on two oven gloves over a practice pad.
Keeps me fit and also i don't smoke (have a drinking problem on the weekends though :-(

:confused:
Whata....
and I thought I was going fast. :whistling: Probably I was on some other hills going something over 60 - but still short to your ~82 by 15 or 20 km/h for sure. In my defence - my speeds are with mountain bike and yours with road, I'm sure. And mbt vs road tires too, let's not forget. =)
Sometimes I think.. what would really happened crashing with all those speeds. Maybe better not to think about it. :(

Say, you said you have gone in wheelchair after your accident then. Or ...you're still in them ? :unsure:
hey there, so ya the Road bike, in a tuck with a tail wind on just the right day is how I got that fast. It was the largest hill in my area and would ride it weekly. usually a tad slower.

Yup im in a wheelchair, a paraplegic from the accident, At least until the Lord miraclulously heals me :) A helmet saved my life for sure. cracked it big time.

So got my arms still play the guitar and ofcourse simracing! Oh, and i got a 3 wheel handcycle i go out on once in a while, pretty nice, but alittle more difficult pedaling with your arms :) haha

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 260 13.5%