Love Cycling? Check out CyclingDepartment!

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
cd_cover.jpg

This might look like a weird topic for a (sim) racing website, but is it really? Cycling, is together with running, the most popular activity to stay fit and healthy and is practiced by both professional motorsport athletes and gamers as well.

A little personal background story why we have launched a new community forum for bicycles and cycling in general over at www.cyclingdepartment.com

For the last 10 years I have operated RaceDepartment, together with a lot of passionate staff to help with the daily operations. Like with so many of us with a desk job or with a hobby that forces you to be on the PC a lot of hours a day, this eventually comes with a price.

Mine came back in February of this year when I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 which is basically the luxury version of the diabetes type 1 that some are unfortunately born with. Type 2 has many causes but what caused it for me was pretty straight forward: not a very healthy diet, lack of exercise, not enough sleep, stress etc etc. On top of that I was one of the main shareholders of the Marlboro Company for the last 25 years with a consumption of at least a pack of cigarettes a day.

All of us with an unhealthy lifestyle know eventually that day will come where the blunt truth catches up with you. So in the last couple of weeks/months I've made some drastic lifestyle changes. Per the first of May 2016:
  • Quit smoking (Gosh, the extra cash!!!)
  • No more sugar. Less carbs (kinda). More veggies. More water etc
  • To bed much earlier.
  • And most importantly: MORE EXERCISE in the form of doing a solid bicycle ride every day / multiple times a week.
The results after two months:
  • Lost at least 10 kg of body-weight (Gained a lot of muscle though)
  • Blood-pressure from a scary shocking high value to a steady healthy 117/80.
  • Blood-sugar level: from 9.6 to 7.9 to 5.1 and dropping.
  • Feeling fitter and fitter each day by racing either my road bike or mountain bike with a very much improved overall health and stamina.
So why this new cycling site? If I can make a drastic change like this I am 100% convinced everybody that needs it can. On top of that I have re-discovered my old (mountain)biking hobby again after being inactive for too long, and I am not the only one. Cycling is booming again!

So if you are passionate about cycling as well and you would like to join our new world of road bikes, mountain bikes, cycling sports, technology and more we would be more than happy to welcome you at www.cyclingdepartment.com

See you on the other site :thumbsup:

Great idea and congratulations Bram. I too cycle to work and for fun. Saves me money and keeps me fit (although I did get in my car this morning for my first shift back after Glastonbury...too much partying couldn't be arsed!)

Looks interesting, I'll check it out. The only (non-pretend) form of transport I actually own currently is a Hewitt touring bicycle, which I use for commuting everyday, getting around town, general exercise and cycling trips - both day trips with friends and occasional long cycling holidays in the UK and Europe.

Cool! Fingers crossed with growing community there.
And congratulations to your health-progress Bram! It needs lot of self-controll.
I bet at least one Marlboro manager was fired because of you. :laugh:

Ah that's so awesome, I'll Defo join that forum. Cycling is a fantastic way to keep in shape for racing without putting on the upper body bulk, and very efficient for getting heart used to high rate for extended period of time. Congratulations on your changes and progress OP, keep up the good work

Well done Bram. I enjoy cycling and try to get in a long ride every week although my speed on the bike is about the same as in simracing but it is still fun. :)
Oh don't get me started on speed! Was a big frustration to see guys on Strava racing on a 30km/h plus average and I couldn't even manage to cycle 23km/h for 30 minutes.

But like with sim racing, practice masters and the average pace is now close to 29km/h after alreayd a few weeks. Equally to sim racing it's possible to catch up with those that practice their hobby for years, but that last bit will be a struggle :)

Good for you. I started back in 2001 to lose some weight. 15 years later and well over 100,000 miles in the legs I'm still going. Crossed 6,000 miles for the year last weekend (but only ~1 kg lighter since the start of the year - too much cake!), and this year is shaping up to be my biggest mileage year ever. Even did some racing, both on the road and at the track (velodrome)

It is always important to hold your own pace and keep evolving in your tempo. Progress is progress, time is in your side. The wake up call switched your mentality and provoked your self confidence and believe. Keep it up
:thumbsup:
As for me....I will hit the 10500km mark end this week....on my e-bike:p.
I have practiced sports actively for 25 years until 3 years ago (35y now)....taking up karting again this summer :).

Extremely happy to read your post-diagnosis recovery! It is a great achievement which many fails to do. I used to love cycling casually when i was in a rural place. Nowhere to do it comfortably in my terrible city. I wish a great future to the new forum! :)

do squats on free days when not cycling, bust out the dumbbells (like 5kg) and do upper body exercises, helps with losing fat, stretching helps a lot.

edited:
No, scratch that.
Too much personal info. Erased.
Don't really want to be recognized by someone here, after all... gaming is for kids. =)

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 366 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing