GT5 Lotus at Top Gear test track

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Anybody did this special event already? Whaha I really felt like Jeremy Clarkson drifting that little monster around the track with no driving help. Bloody awesome combination.

Got it tonight too (no aids ofcourse), I tried passing some Ai's on the left side of the cones before chicago, but then you loose too much time in that corner, so I braked a little harder and pass some on the right, that made a big differance for me, also a good exit from hammerhead is crucial.

Dive bombing is the name of the game when it comes to these challenges, GT5 training up all the rookies to go join iRacing where they can use their skills and cause lots of pileups!

My driving quality has gone down the drain with GT5 haha. When i'm racing i just dont have the concentration (or control) level that i have when i'm iRacing, nor do i have the hours of practice with a single car at a single track before racing, its just get up and go for it, which is probably why. But its really enjoyable and its stress free, when i'm iRacing its quite stressful the ammount of concentration needed, as you're expected to do 20+ laps without making mistakes, aswell as being fast. In GT5 i will think nothing of entering a corner too fast, getting the back end out and pulling a big ass powerslide, and if i wipe out it doesnt matter :).

I'm running a G25 wheel and with any combo of driving aids on the follow-through I get oversteer. Neutral throttle turn-in oversteer, power oversteer (even in 4th or 5th at 50% throttle), trailing throttle oversteer.
I just can't seem to go through it fast at all without a slide that loses me time.

This is the worst challenge in the game for me so far, but a LONG way.

I've found using TCS slows you down as much as it helps as if you slide out then it just bogs down.

Does anyone have any tips for follow-through and the corner after that onto the straight? It just feels like nursing the car slow is the only way to go there... (it almost feels too that if you let it slide and catch it, then it's much more stable for the rest of the bend!?)

Dave

try making a wider turn, maybe you are just turning the wheel a tiny bit too much. Also you might try turning a bit earlier to start shifting the weight of the car earlier. i had no trouble with any of the test gear challenges. The VW Gelaendewagen was easy as long as you can time it right without crashin into the Schwimmwagen..

try making a wider turn, maybe you are just turning the wheel a tiny bit too much. Also you might try turning a bit earlier to start shifting the weight of the car earlier. i had no trouble with any of the test gear challenges. The VW Gelaendewagen was easy as long as you can time it right without crashin into the Schwimmwagen..

Good plan... I might do some testing on there independently of the challenge and find THE turn in point :)

Seems the weak spot for me on the challenge, either spinning out or going big drift and losing time etc...

Dave

I did this event with all the aids off and eventually got the 1st place after many attempts. Then i stopped and actually configured my G25 correctly so i could access the brake bias controller while i drive. Knowing i could do this would have made it much easier because you can drop the rear brake force to help you brake without spinning.

Oh, can you configure the brake bias controller so you can move it foward/back while racing, or just at the start of a race etc via set up?

Dave

With my G25 i had to figure out which button matched which on the PS3 controller then i changed the settings for the Driving Force Pro wheel.

Basically here is the key map for a G25 wheel:

Gear paddles = L1/R1
Buttons on the wheel itself = L2/R2

Black buttons at the top of the gearshift unit are X, square, circle & triangle of PS3 controller.

D-pad is beneath them.

Red buttons at the bottom are (left to right) = L3/select/start/R3

Once i figured this out i was able to configure the in game driving options menu to buttons on the wheel. This allows adjustment of brake bias, TC, ABS and other driving aids whilst you drive at any point. This is really useful and i now don't suffer from the rear locking problem a lot of people have complained about whilst using no ABS. It is interesting to not a lot of the cars need different settings to get the best experience out of driving them and being able to tweak on the fly is brilliant.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back