Lotus 98T in AC

Dan Allen

I am the Pastor Maldonado of RaceDepartment.
Hi guys,

I'm having a slight problem with the new Lotus 98T in AC and need a bit of advice on how to drive the bloody thing properly. I think we're all in agreement that this thing is an absolute beast, but I find him a little bit too powerful, even if I turn the turbo down to 50-60%...

The only workaround I've figured out so far is to upshift quite a long time (relatively speaking) before I'm supposed to, otherwise I find I lose the back end and spin. I've tried a few things to counter this, including lowering the cars height, softening the suspension, adding more downforce via aero and even lowering the rear tyre pressures and keep having the same problem.

Is this just one of those cars where you're not supposed to open it up completely? Or could it be the fact that I'm playing with an Xbox 360 controller which isn't really designed for hardcore sim racing (Saying that, I get on quite well with the X360 pad with other cars like the AC Cobra and the MP4-12C GT3)?

How do you guys tame this monster of an automobile?

Use the 1-0 keys along the top of the keyboard. Be warned, 100% turbo is very fast and I find that I don't touch the accelerator very much at all, I rely on the turbo to push me round the track and only use the gas when I scrub off too much speed. Even then I only feather it.

I noticed that you said that you only use the turbo in certain places (when it was critical), how do you do that? I find my turbo is always working and using it only when I need it could be very helpful to me!

Anyone else know how to drive this car?

Hi guys,

I'm having a slight problem with the new Lotus 98T in AC and need a bit of advice on how to drive the bloody thing properly. I think we're all in agreement that this thing is an absolute beast, but I find him a little bit too powerful, even if I turn the turbo down to 50-60%...

The only workaround I've figured out so far is to upshift quite a long time (relatively speaking) before I'm supposed to, otherwise I find I lose the back end and spin. I've tried a few things to counter this, including lowering the cars height, softening the suspension, adding more downforce via aero and even lowering the rear tyre pressures and keep having the same problem.

Is this just one of those cars where you're not supposed to open it up completely? Or could it be the fact that I'm playing with an Xbox 360 controller which isn't really designed for hardcore sim racing (Saying that, I get on quite well with the X360 pad with other cars like the AC Cobra and the MP4-12C GT3)?

How do you guys tame this monster of an automobile?

A slower and more controlled application of throttle after having shifted perhaps? I haven't been able to test the car myself yet, as I'm AFR (Away From Rig), but this would be my first thought.
I reckon this is a bit trickier on a controller than with pedals having longer travel, but should be possible.
PS. get a wheel, you won't regret it! :)

I found 98T to be pretty forgiving on stepping on gas very soon. Certainly much, much easier then exos s1. And I am pretty fast. But when the turbo kicks in and you are exiting slow corner, you damn better be sure your wheels are straight or shortshift, cause downforce is not enough at slow speeds to keep it on track (downforce is huge in this car).

I personally still have to do 3 laps without going gardening into the grass... but my advice would be:

1) Warm up the tyres (specially the soft ones). Until the tyres are up to temperature you will see the back of the car overtaking you at every single corner exit, but once the tyres are up to temperature the amount of grip this thing has is ridiculous.

2) Listen for the turbo, when it starts blowing release a bit of gas or shift up (you can also take a look at the turbo pressure indicator). Alternatively, if your front tyres happen to be perfectly straight, give full gas and enjoy the hyperspace acceleration.

Cheers for the replies guys, much appreciated! @Kjell Eilertsen, I do have a wheel, but it's broken (it's a cheap Thrustmaster Ferrari Challenge 3 in 1 wheel). Been trying to fix it but no luck so far :/ May start a dedicated thread on the subject in a bit.

@Adria Perez I've tried getting the heat into the tyres (I use soft for added grip when hot), may start using the medium compounds. Don't think I'll bother with the hard compounds, I need as much grip as possible as quickly as possible! :D

I found the turbo engine takes abit of getting used too.
You have to be smooth on throttle in first and second gear and trying not to spin up the wheels to third gear because you will end up backwards.

I short shift 1st and 2nd gear and use a lower 3rd gear so you can plant the throttle.

Im still getting used to the ground effects and aero with some tracks.
If you go into a corner at full throttle and lift off you get huge oversteer.
Some times it helps to start braking before you lift off the throttle.
Then some corners you think no way could i take that flat ,
Then you try it flat and it feels amazing and you are left with a big smile.

These cars are great fun especially driving at 220mph at full turbo boost.:D

I found the turbo engine takes abit of getting used too.
You have to be smooth on throttle in first and second gear and trying not to spin up the wheels to third gear because you will end up backwards.

I short shift 1st and 2nd gear and use a lower 3rd gear so you can plant the throttle.

Im still getting used to the ground effects and aero with some tracks.
If you go into a corner at full throttle and lift off you get huge oversteer.
Some times it helps to start braking before you lift off the throttle.
Then some corners you think no way could i take that flat ,
Then you try it flat and it feels amazing and you are left with a big smile.

These cars are great fun especially driving at 220mph at full turbo boost.:D

I've already tried all of that Brian, looks like there's no secret to driving this thing, just got to keep doing what I'm doing and hope I get the hang of it I guess then :/

It was like when assetto corsa first came out i spent hours of practising and learning the formula abarth and the gt2 cars it payed off in the end.
But this car is in a different league
I still havent mastered it like alot of people but we will get it.

Right I've seen no-one else mention it so maybe it's just my install, but the gauges on mine are rotated anticlockwise by 90 degrees. Is anyone else seeing this or should I just be running a 'verify integrity' on steam to get them the right way up?

In the small space of the era cockpits and a tiny wheel to cover the gauges, the important thing is to show the driver when he is close to the rev limit and the boost limit.
That's why the gauges are rotated this way, so that the rev limit is at 12 o'clock and the boost limit likewise. That's the only info the driver needs to be aware of, while driving this monster. Everything under that, can be not visible. ;)

Thanks Aris, that explains it perfectly. That was the only niggle I had with this car, it's great fun to drive, and now I know it's correct I am a lot happier, and fractionally more knowledgeable :)

60-70% seems to be the sweet spot between performance and reliability. Also, I decrease the rpm limit to 98% or 97% to avoid over rev.

I tried softening the rear and increasing the front suspension, but it seems it affects the downforce at some points, so stiff is a must to keep the rake in place. Also, usually have to increase the wings to keep the car in place. Only track I think would benefit of lower wings would be Monza.

Fantastic car, one of the most fascinating cars I have drive in a simulator.

60-70% seems to be the sweet spot between performance and reliability. Also, I decrease the rpm limit to 98% or 97% to avoid over rev.

I tried softening the rear and increasing the front suspension, but it seems it affects the downforce at some points, so stiff is a must to keep the rake in place. Also, usually have to increase the wings to keep the car in place. Only track I think would benefit of lower wings would be Monza.

Fantastic car, one of the most fascinating cars I have drive in a simulator.

^^ YES!
This is what I have tried doing since I've started this thread. 70% boost is a very good turbo setting and I can actually keep the car on the track with this. I've tried lowering all the tyre pressures so they're all around 14-15. It kinda works, maybe the fronts could be pumped up a little more. Very nervous about touching the suspension too much, although I did raise the ARB Front to around 12 and lower the ARB Rear to around 2-3.

It works, but it's far from the perfect setup, just need to tweak now.

Something else I've found which solves the 1st and 2nd gear spinning problem, instead of treating it like a sequential tranny, treat it like it's a manual H-gate. Taking your foot off the gas on each upshift instead of keeping the power on through the shift has a noticeable difference (IMHO). Not spinning anywhere near as much as I did in 1st/2nd gears now! This works in the first 2 gears, but from 3rd gear upwards you can go back to holding the power on through the shift.

Hope that last paragraph helps someone!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.8%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 305 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing