Lotus 98T in AC

Dan Allen

I am the Pastor Maldonado of RaceDepartment.
Hi guys,

I'm having a slight problem with the new Lotus 98T in AC and need a bit of advice on how to drive the bloody thing properly. I think we're all in agreement that this thing is an absolute beast, but I find him a little bit too powerful, even if I turn the turbo down to 50-60%...

The only workaround I've figured out so far is to upshift quite a long time (relatively speaking) before I'm supposed to, otherwise I find I lose the back end and spin. I've tried a few things to counter this, including lowering the cars height, softening the suspension, adding more downforce via aero and even lowering the rear tyre pressures and keep having the same problem.

Is this just one of those cars where you're not supposed to open it up completely? Or could it be the fact that I'm playing with an Xbox 360 controller which isn't really designed for hardcore sim racing (Saying that, I get on quite well with the X360 pad with other cars like the AC Cobra and the MP4-12C GT3)?

How do you guys tame this monster of an automobile?

I did raise the ARB Front to around 12 and lower the ARB Rear to around 2-3.

This is true also, and I missed to include it on my post. I increase front ARB and decreased rear ARB. This helps to keep the rear planted. It may give a bit of understeer on turn entry and middle turn, but is very controlable in my opinion.

Now, in terms of driving, and particulary on this car, I squeeeeze the gas pedal, very gradual but with authority, during the exit turns until I have the steering wheel centered when I apply full gas, and even though, be prepared to do a bit of counter steering, just a bit. Key here is to be gentle with the gas, even not fully pressed, the engine gives plenty of power.

This is true also, and I missed to include it on my post. I increase front ARB and decreased rear ARB. This helps to keep the rear planted. It may give a bit of understeer on turn entry and middle turn, but is very controlable in my opinion.

Now, in terms of driving, and particulary on this car, I squeeeeze the gas pedal, very gradual but with authority, during the exit turns until I have the steering wheel centered when I apply full gas, and even though, be prepared to do a bit of counter steering, just a bit. Key here is to be gentle with the gas, even not fully pressed, the engine gives plenty of power.

Can't help but agree with this. I had another decent go at learning the car for about an hour and a half earlier on around Monza, and am finally starting to fet the feel of it. I'm still struggling with the length of the braking zone when changing the boost power, but I guess it's just a time thing.

I am learning more and more about this car each time I have a go on it.

For this car I always short-shift up to third with a smooth application of the throttle.
Also lift off throttle while upshifting even if you are using paddles. And of course, blip on the downshift (or heel-toe) whichever suits.

For this car I always short-shift up to third with a smooth application of the throttle.
Also lift off throttle while upshifting even if you are using paddles. And of course, blip on the downshift (or heel-toe) whichever suits.

You blip on the downshift? Didn't think you needed to do that in this car?

Yep I definately blip on the downshift in order to match the revs and avoid upsetting the car. Handy if you find that you've downshifted or multi-downshifted too quickly or too soon.

We all know the advantages of heel-toe, we're just confused as to why you would do it if you don't need to...

One stupid question: How to make the turbo come up quicker after any slow corner like in Monza ?? I found it take too long time to build back up after that 2 chicane which lose me alot of time.
Thanks.

So after like 10 hrs playing this car vs Monza i still 3.5s slower than world record .. i dont mind about that but i cant really feel the grip driving this car .. normally the wheel become heavier when car slow down enough but i dont really get that kind of feeling driving this car thru that 2 chicane ... all in all i dont feel the car is stick to the road, the car feel so light like it actually going to fly high to the sky .. i feel like playing Grid Autosport driving this car :rolleyes:

Also especially the rear camber value become more negative when driving example set = -1.2 but when driving it become at least -2 .. how so ??

So after like 10 hrs playing this car vs Monza i still 3.5s slower than world record .. i dont mind about that but i cant really feel the grip driving this car .. normally the wheel become heavier when car slow down enough but i dont really get that kind of feeling driving this car thru that 2 chicane ... all in all i dont feel the car is stick to the road, the car feel so light like it actually going to fly high to the sky .. i feel like playing Grid Autosport driving this car :rolleyes:

Also especially the rear camber value become more negative when driving example set = -1.2 but when driving it become at least -2 .. how so ??
Normally the wheel becomes much lighter when going slow in a car with downforce, not the other way around....

Normally the wheel becomes much lighter when going slow in a car with downforce, not the other way around....
Mmm may be this car is too fast for me, i just dont feel alright driving it atm ... but at least am not too far away from the WR right now in the combo that i mention.
By the way i dont see the different between blipping or not driving this car.

Mmm may be this car is too fast for me, i just dont feel alright driving it atm ... but at least am not too far away from the WR right now in the combo that i mention.
By the way i dont see the different between blipping or not driving this car.
If you shift down in a high RPM you won't notice, but if you want to save the engine and shift down a bit lower, it makes a noticeable difference.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 211 14.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 114 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 214 14.4%