Lotus 49 Offline league

Brent Mills

Brent Mills
Already posted on AC forums, but I think this is the best place for an official thread, so if there is enough interest this is where results etc will go.

For me the Lotus 49 is one of the most enjoyable cars in the game to drive and while I have been enjoying offline racing with it, I thought it might be fun to add some human element to it. Here's what I propose:

- each week a new track will be nominated
- you do 3 races against the AI (quali and race)
- you get 3 restarts per race on the first lap, after that if you crash, no restart.
- you then average your finish position between the 3 races. (eg if you come 1st, 5th and 6th, your result is (1 + 5+6) /12 = 4th overall)
- championship points will then be allocated to you.

I would suggest to start off with, using the grand prix legends mod:
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/grand-prix-legends.95952/
The only thing to modify is to remove the practise session from the ini file under each track.

In terms of difficulty, I would suggest 95% AI, with this setting I qualified 8th out of 18 at Spa and 2nd at monza '66. Seems like a reasonable middle ground setting, although I'm open to suggestion.

Obviously there is nothing stopping someone giving false information, but I would hope there is no motivation for that, we would just be doing this for fun. Would anyone be interested in something like this?

I'm pretty new here at RD, but I've always been a fan of "offline" races with others such as Time Trials and the like. This is personally not something I would likely participate in due to AI format and my preferences on cars/tracks, but I think this is a great idea and hope that others do similar things.

I personally like GT3 and also the slower cars that have good handling characteristics, think BMW e30. The less mods to download the better. Popular tracks (all relative I suppose) are preferred. I prefer non-AI races personally and more of just Time Trials if we're doing offline.

That's my wishlist, but ultimately I'll participate in almost anything if it's:
#1: Offline. My schedule is crazy and I cannot commit to regular times usually. Sometimes I cannot even commit to a time same-day.
#2: Few to no mods. I'm dumb and I always seem to screw it up or I get the wrong version.
#3: No AI.
#4: A much much lesser extent, but "fun" cars even for newbies. If you have to drive a ton of laps with something, keeping frustration levels down is good.

I'm happy giving some input but I'd hate for something to be designed around what I want alone! Some others should chime in with perhaps some previous formats that were successful "offline" series?

EDIT:
So in keeping with the original idea, I'd participate if it was no AI and no mods. Car is okay and any of the included tracks are fine.

Last edited:
Jay,
- Offline is a given
- no problem keeping it mod free.
- For me though just doing time trial would be too boring, I like the excitement of racing and figuring out a line to get past the car ahead.
- As far as cars go, happy to take suggestions although tbh I'm really sick of GT3 cars as that's almost the only thing that gets raced online. That BMW seems fun, but my preference is still Lotus 49, it's fast and loose, but still very controllable even in a slide, give it a try!

Rapala,

Yeah, I play against the AI on occasion to spice things up, but I was just talking about if we're going to do a competitive scoring online I'd much rather not have to deal with AI. For me, if I want wheel-to-wheel I'll find a pick-up race or look in the "Daily club races" thread. I do see the appeal though, and perhaps I'm in the minority. Even if this particular series ends up not being for me I'd really like to see more Offline competitions available here on RD. =)

True, there are a lot of GT3 races. I've used the Lotus 49 a few times, it's a fun enough car that I'd use it in a series.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 315 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 216 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 273 13.4%