Lots of Goodies in the July rF2 Development Roadmap

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Sebring 1.jpg
The latest rFactor 2 'Development Roadmap' is here - and it's packed full of exciting information...

Well it looks like July and August are going to be something of a bumper month for rFactor 2 fans if the latest development roadmap is anything to go by... Studio 397 have broken from tradition slightly today, releasing the latest monthly development roadmap blog post a few days earlier than usual, packing the new post full of some very exciting updates and information about where rFactor 2 is heading in the very near future.

Highlights from the new posting today include news on when we can expect the very intriguing 'Reiza Bundle' DLC, confirmation the Sebring is coming very soon indeed and of course an insight into some great updates for the premium GT3 and GTE pack of cars.. oh and more VR fine tuning and performance boosts too...

Check out the full rF2 'Development Roadmap' below:

Upcoming Events
First of all, we have a few events planned that we want to announce.

ChinaJoy
August 3rd to 6th, Studio 397 will be present in Shanghai for the yearly ChinaJoy event. If you’re in the area, please drop by and take advantage of the opportunity to say hello and take rFactor 2 for a spin.

SimRacing Expo
September 14th to 16th we’re happy to announce that we will be present at this year’s SimRacing Expo at the Nürburgring. We invite everybody to come and visit us for a glimpse into the future of rFactor 2. As always we will bring a few surprises!

McLaren Shadow
Earlier this month, McLaren introduced their all new hunt for the brightest and best esports talent, dubbed “McLaren Shadow Project“. This is the follow up to last year’s “World’s Fastest Gamer” that saw Rudy van Buren take the win. We are delighted to announce that we will be part of this competition again, building several new McLaren cars for the upcoming events. And the best news is that they will all be available for free!

Upcoming Releases
Then, there are a lot of new releases coming up now and in the near future.

Today: New Build, GT3 and Endurance Pack Updates
We are about to release a new build with a few improvements and new features. Especially, but not exclusively, for our Virtual Reality users, we have included a new feature called “Stabilize Horizon” that allows you to enable a low, medium or high amount of stabilization, which helps keep the horizon stable on bumpy tracks and still works properly on strongly banked tracks. We’ve also made a few changes in our DX11 graphics engine. First of all, we caught and fixed some issues with the brake disc glow on some cars. An issue that only showed up on 6-core CPUs with no hyperthreading and caused rendering problems in our shadow maps was also found and fixed. For tracks, we added support for a new dirt map, a feature you will see on Sebring and that will be explained shortly in our developer documentation. We slightly adjusted the logic for our “pit director” that will tell you how and when to leave your garage as he was a bit oddly placed in some cases. Last but not least, we also spent some time optimizing our post effects, which has resulted in a healthy increase in performance with those enabled.

In our previous roadmap, we already announced that we were close to releasing an update to our very popular GT3 cars. Over the last couple of months, we’ve received a lot of feedback on these cars, and we sat down and incorporated all of that in this update. On top of that, we’ve included the new in-car traction control and anti-lock brake settings, position lights colored green for the GT3 class and our very latest set of tyres to align the cars with our endurance pack. We also tweaked the Balance of Performance to ensure continued close racing.

As part of our continued development of the Endurance pack, our visit to Duqueine Engineering, which we will report on in a separate blog, also got us some crucial feedback on the handling characteristics of the Oreca and Norma cars and a unique chance to compare telemetry. These and other tweaks based on feedback have been incorporated in an update of the Endurance pack.

Both packs will be released later today. Leagues that don’t want to immediately make the switch are encouraged to keep a copy of the previous version. That said, we’ve tried our best to ensure a good balance of performance and also made sure you can run classes from both packs together nicely.

rF2 July Roadmap 1.jpg
rF2 July Roadmap 2.jpg
rF2 July Roadmap 3.jpg

Tomorrow: Sebring
Since taking over the development of rFactor 2, our goals have been clear: take an already incredible sim as a base and move the bar higher, push new and exciting features that you want, and give you the chance to experience a professional grade simulator – at home! The release of Sebring tomorrow is another step in that direction. We will follow up with more details later.

rF2 Sebring 2.jpg
rf2 Sebring 3.jpg
rF2 Sebring 4.jpg

Next Month: Reiza rF2 Bundle
Some of you might have seen the teasers that were posted by Reiza Studios. We can now officially announce that they have been working hard on bringing some great content into rFactor 2. No less than four cars and two tracks will be part of this pack, all of which will be released in August. We expect Reiza to soon release more details of their planned content!

rF2 Reiza 1.jpg
rF2 Reiza 3.jpg

Community Night
Earlier this month, we scheduled the first community event, and we would like to thank everybody who watched and participated in it. Because of its success, we decided to do another one on Friday, July 27th at 20:00 CEST. We will obviously take this opportunity to look at the updated GT3 and Endurance packs. We will also take an in-depth look at Sebring International Raceway and provide some background on the process of creating it, so make sure you tune in and follow our Twitch channel at https://www.twitch.tv/rfactorlive. We certainly hope to see you there. In any case, happy simracing, that’s all for this month!

rFactor 2 is available exclusively for PC from Steam now.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Excited by the content in the new roadmap postings? Looking forward to the coming months for this sim? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Great news, the Sebring trailer looks grand, and also the bugfixes and improvements are very welcome (especially happy about the hexa-core CPU fix, just got my new laptop with a desktop i5-8400 and only planning to upgrade to a i7-8700k at the end of the year).

Long time ago I was pushing hard against ISI for releasing preview pics with useless stuff on them (ducks, toilettes, ets) now finally we can see something real and damn good! Goood work S397!
Hyped by Reiza content and Sebring!

It's not that I'm not looking forward to official Sebring or that I'm not happy with improvements to the GT3 cars or the Endurance pack, but I was looking forward to hearing some news about plugin functionality and/or the new UI... it's been more than half a year now that DX11 was made default, rendering any screen drawing plugins essentially useless, and they're sorely missed IMO... :(

releasing the latest monthly development roadmap blog post a few days earlier than usual

I would think they're trying not to get lost in the ACC announcement flood. Waiting until after this weekend would lose the marketing edge.
Sebring! McLarens! fps improvement!

And agree with others that there's missing news about UI & plugins drawing to the screen.

I like the direction, keep going please.

I think rF2 more than likely has the best underlying physics model (possibly by a good margin). For my tastes, rF2 also has the 2nd best FFB implementation (2nd only to AC, which is more of a reflection on how great I think AC FFB is than any critique of rF2). I also think VR implementation in rF2 is quite nice.

So, for the millionth time I ask myself - so why do I hardly ever lap in rF2?!? I think it's the content, plain and simple. To be brutally honest, I think there is a small amount of rF2 content I find second-to-nome and then vast swathes of stuff ranging from "meh" to "blecch".

What I have seen from 397 so far is that they "get it" and are pushing hard in the right direction...just gonna take time and patience, because there is SO much potential for this sim and I genuinely want to see good things happen for all involved.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%