Loss of material transparency after 3DSimEd FBX export?!

Hey there,

I'm completely new to modding tracks and I started converting an rFactor track to Assetto (for personal use) with 3DSimEd. I converted it successfully to a drive-able state, but now I want to change a few things to it in Blender. In order to do that I export the track to FBX and import it in Blender. After doing so, all the materials' alpha channels are somehow broken and transparency turned black. When I re-import the FBX (created by 3DSimEd, or Blender), it's still the same way (also in-game). I found out I can change the "Blend Result" to "Alpha Chroma" for each material, but there are dozens of materials.
How can I export the track from 3DSimEd to Blender and back to 3DSimEd without losing transparent materials? Alternatively, what do I have to do in Blender in order to see the correct Alpha channels?

On a side note: I tried contacting the original Author of the rF track but got no response. Is it okay if I publish the track (as soon as it's finished) and mention him anyway? Otherwise I will just convert it for myself...

Sorry if my terminology isn't on point, but I'm absolutely new to this.

You shouldn't go from Blender to 3dsimed, just directly Blender to ks editor. It'll save transparency settings for you. ks editor also has tools for batch editing that sort of thing as long as material names are able to match patterns.

And no, RD won't let you post tracks without explicit permission.

Thanks for the answer!

I just did that, but the game crashes when starting the track now :( any idea what might be the reason for it?

Code:
AC\surfacesmanager.cpp (132): SurfacesManager::getSurface
AC\trackavatar.cpp (562): TrackAvatar::getSurfaceDescFromMeshName
AC\trackavatar.cpp (474): TrackAvatar::processPhysicsNode
AC\trackavatar.cpp (482): TrackAvatar::processPhysicsNode
AC\trackavatar.cpp (438): TrackAvatar::initPhysics
AC\trackavatar.cpp (60): TrackAvatar::TrackAvatar
AC\sim.cpp (1066): Sim::loadTrack
AC\racemanager.cpp (351): RaceManager::initOffline
AC\racemanager.cpp (174): RaceManager::loadSessions
AC\sim.cpp (320): Sim::Sim
AC\splashscreen.cpp (319): SplashScreen::postRender
AC\game.cpp (181): Game::onIdle
AC\game.cpp (210): Game::run
AC\acs.cpp (477): wWinMain
f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\dllstuff\crtexe.c (618): __tmainCRTStartup

Thanks for the answer!

I just did that, but the game crashes when starting the track now :( any idea what might be the reason for it?

Code:
AC\surfacesmanager.cpp (132): SurfacesManager::getSurface
AC\trackavatar.cpp (562): TrackAvatar::getSurfaceDescFromMeshName
AC\trackavatar.cpp (474): TrackAvatar::processPhysicsNode
AC\trackavatar.cpp (438): TrackAvatar::initPhysics
AC\trackavatar.cpp (60): TrackAvatar::TrackAvatar
AC\sim.cpp (1066): Sim::loadTrack
AC\racemanager.cpp (351): RaceManager::initOffline
AC\racemanager.cpp (174): RaceManager::loadSessions
AC\sim.cpp (320): Sim::Sim
AC\splashscreen.cpp (319): SplashScreen::postRender
AC\game.cpp (181): Game::onIdle
AC\game.cpp (210): Game::run
AC\acs.cpp (477): wWinMain
f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\dllstuff\crtexe.c (618): __tmainCRTStartup
I guess both this and your initial error with the transparency is due to changed object names in the fbx file, as all the settings are saved per object. Try deleting/backupping the files in the ai folder.

The AI folder is empty...

I get this error with all modded tracks suddenly :confused: Even those which always worked...

Ideas anyone?

Edit:
nvm :rolleyes:... yesterday I set "WARNINGS_AS_ERRORS=1" in assetto_corsa.ini because I read it somewhere on the web. I set it back to 0 and it's working

Last edited:
Could someone maybe have a look at the track and why it loses the transparency when converting to *.fbx? Or even convert the *.kn5 to a *.blend file so I can continue making the track from there? I watched a lot of Youtube tutorials but I'm completely lost with this issue.

Also some trees look like cut in half, because the back side of the textures isn't shown properly...

In case someone would like to do me a huge favor, I will pay for your next Pizza :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 279 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 190 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 191 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 139 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 249 13.5%