Loss of FPS/stuttering: issue caused by sound enhancements service Nahimic

Hello folks,

I recently suffered from some FPS loss (counter going from say, 160 to 170 and then back down to 160) and the CPU/GPU occupancy graphs in-game were showing this to happen every few seconds.
At times it would be so bad, I would lose not 10 FPS (which by the way, was still noticeable!) but 60 FPS!
It was making the game nearly unplayable, the cars/track jumping ever so slightly and hey, I was blaming that for my bad form recently ;-)
After pretty much ruling out monitor/cables/graphics connection/mods installed, etc... I brought the Task Manager in the foreground while playing the game.
And that's when I noticed, a process that was normally using 0% CPU, every so often and coincidentally when I had the stuttering, would be using 0.1% CPU...
But that indicated the process was waking up.
That Nhimic process is a sound enhancement driver, which is part of the Realtek audio driver distributed by ASUS for their motherboard sound cards.
I had to install it because Forza Horizon 4 does not work without sound enhancement drivers.
Since disabling the Nahimic service, my FPS are rock solid at all resolutions/graphic levels!
Luckily, by enabling the Windows Sonic enahncements, I can now play FH4 with sound!
I'll be keeping an eye on the FPS counter to see whether this Windows Sonic stuff is compatible with Assetto Corsa.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back