Losing grip

Hi, I am pretty pleased with my set up in the sim, especially compared to Pcars, I feel AC is the best and most realistic FFB....one issue though - it's soooo easy to lose grip, even in a straight line by overaccelarating...and very easy to lose the grip under braking and almost impossible to feel until the car just keeps going.

Is it really that easy to swap ends in a high powered car under acceleration ?

Is there a way to lessen this or at least to tweak settings so you can feel it a bit easier before it happens? Its like drivng on ice sometimes, some cars are worse than others, but I feel on the whole its way over modelled....what do you think?

Hey, it's not some kind of blame game, I am trying to understand whats involved in being able to control the cars in certain situations and why. I think you are too used to the fanboi mentality that seems to creep in with certain people whenever AC & Pcars are compared.....I play both, each is a great sim, I would simply like to understand why I can do something in one that I cant in the other........and I am not a crap driver.......I just wish you or some of the other guys who seem to think it's way easy, could sit down in front of my PC with my set up and tell me where I am going wrong.....!

I like that attitude, and I'm not here to defend AC at all costs, just trying to show that some of your statements are incompatable are not true.

These two quotes of you are presented as facts by you.

AC has, I feel,a major fault once you lose the grip, nothing that you do will have any effect, the cars just carries on.

It's impossible for any inputs to have an effect once the control is lost.

I believe it's not a fact, by a matter of experience. I would not have responded if you would have said: 'once I lose grip, I can't control the car anymore'. Of; none of my inputs have an effect when I lose control'.

If you would live close to Amsterdam, I'd love to give your CSW a go! ;). I'm still driving with a G25 of 7 years old, if not more and a six year old PC.

One of the things a lot of people have issues with in AC is 'input lag'.It occurs when the visuals on screen respond slower than your inputs. As such, you constantly respond too late to the reactions of the car, which in turn gives you a feeling of 'uncontrallability'.

What you could try perhaps is check your FPS, turn of V-synch, set pre-rendering frames to 0 (I believe 0 is the correct value?). And search the AC forums a bit on this. Perhaps it will help you :)

Must be honest I feel absolutely the opposite to you. I feel that AC is the only game I can really feel and control the car when it loses grip, and why it's my main game. I struggle more with this in Game Stock Car Extreme, in that game I feel what you describe here, once its gone there's no coming back, even if I catch it VERY early.
HA! I am the exact opposite. GSCE gives me great feel for the limit of grip and I can catch it even in something crazy like the Formula V12. Meanwhile in AC I feel like I have no feel for the limit and a hard time correcting as a result.

I think this is part of the subjectivity of simming. Where I feel the FF and physics in GSCE is superb and lets me save things you apparently feel that way about AC.

This is why its so hard to talk about these subjective matters when a good portion of what each of us feels could be down to just latent perceptions from just playing one sim or the other more or some way we're wired as people. Add to that some unrealistic expectations and before you know it the concept of 'realism' is untenable.

One of the things a lot of people have issues with in AC is 'input lag'.It occurs when the visuals on screen respond slower than your inputs. As such, you constantly respond too late to the reactions of the car, which in turn gives you a feeling of 'uncontrallability'.
This is something we should never lose out of sight.

Having an FPS counter showing all the time and adjusting graphic settings so you're getting 60+ FPS all the time is definitely something that will improve your overall gameplay experience.

Add on top of that a well set up FFB and you should be fine.

This is something we should never lose out of sight.

Having an FPS counter showing all the time and adjusting graphic settings so you're getting 60+ FPS all the time is definitely something that will improve your overall gameplay experience.

Add on top of that a well set up FFB and you should be fine.
Definitely. It's not only FPS, it's also Response Time and Refresh Rate of the display. I've read far too many people saying: "You can't feel anything over 60 fps anyway", "You can't tell the difference between 60hz and higher", "You can't feel anything lower than 4ms response time", ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS!! For each of those things!! Maybe they can't see or feel it, but I certainly can very quickly. And just because they can't see or feel it, doesn't mean it's not there causing issues behind the surface. Now consider (this is not directed at anyone here, just in general): someone complaining about a game's issues, while they are using a motion blurring/ghosting LCD TV with 6ms response time and 60hz refresh rate, on 60 FPS or below. That will always be a poor experience, on any game. In my opinion you want AT LEAST: 60 FPS or higher, 85HZ or higher, 3ms or lower for a usable input response, and 80FPS, 100HZ, 2ms and higher for a more-optimal one.

Last edited:
Wait until the 30 FPS console crowd comes in to repeat the PR bullcrap about the human eye not being able to see more than 30 FPS anyways and that the cinematic touch is lost with anything higher than 24 FPS :)

@markturner
I also found that AC is difficult to keep on the limit of tire grip, even though I have an excellent steering wheel (DD OSW). Rf2 is sublime for that with their tire model.

yesterday I lowered the degrees of rotation (1080-540) in game and the driver, surprise! I now have a much easier to catch a slide.
I hope this will be able to help you.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back