Looking to buy my second wheel

Hello there,
I currently have a Logitech G920 and am looking for replacements. I am looking for a complete set (wheelbase wheel and pedals) for 500€, my maximum budget would be 600€. I currently am looking at the Thrustmaster TS XW Racer. I want my setup to have stronger FFB than the Logitech, 3 pedals and future upgradability. The only thing I don't 100% like about the TS XW is the non-round wheel.
I don't have anything against buying used, as long as it is reliable.
What are you thinking should I get?

I've had a ts-pc for a week but then bought a csw 2.5 due to annoying coil whine.
Tested a t300 and heard a lot about the t500.

You're from Germany... Honestly I would go with the csw 2.5, a used rim and get the Bodnar adapter or simply use your g920 without the power supply to have a USB interface to keep your pedals.

Thrustmaster pedals are no real upgrade compared to your Logitech pedals...
But the csw 2.5 is quite a big upgrade compared to the Thrustmaster wheels.

Only downside being the reliability with fanatec. I'm on my second McLaren rim and 2nd pots for throttle and clutch pedal in the csl elites.
The wheelbase however is just awesome!

Not as loud as the fans of the Thrustmasters, more force, fidelity, less belt resistance and no noise when turning really swiftly.

Since you're from Germany, sending it in only takes 24 hours.
I've got a new McLaren rim within 72 hours!

Upvote 0
I've had a ts-pc for a week but then bought a csw 2.5 due to annoying coil whine.
Tested a t300 and heard a lot about the t500.

You're from Germany... Honestly I would go with the csw 2.5, a used rim and get the Bodnar adapter or simply use your g920 without the power supply to have a USB interface to keep your pedals.

Thrustmaster pedals are no real upgrade compared to your Logitech pedals...
But the csw 2.5 is quite a big upgrade compared to the Thrustmaster wheels.

Only downside being the reliability with fanatec. I'm on my second McLaren rim and 2nd pots for throttle and clutch pedal in the csl elites.
The wheelbase however is just awesome!

Not as loud as the fans of the Thrustmasters, more force, fidelity, less belt resistance and no noise when turning really swiftly.

Since you're from Germany, sending it in only takes 24 hours.
I've got a new McLaren rim within 72 hours!
Will there be anything on black Friday? And is the csw 2.5 that much better than for example a csl Elite?

Upvote 0
Will there be anything on black Friday? And is the csw 2.5 that much better than for example a csl Elite?
Probably not... Mostly there's stuff in the sale like... A leather rim without the hub, the different color sets for the v3 pedals.
Never seen one of the wheelbases in a sale.

Yes, the csw is a lot better than the csl.
Not because it's "better" when going into the details but because for me that's a thing of principle.

With the csl elite and the Thrustmaster wheels I always think "yep, this is great. Maybe it could run a bit smoother, maybe I'd like a but more punch, maybe I'd like a slightly quicker turning speed... Maybe it could be a bit rougher... Or maybe I'd like it to be quieter."

With the csw I find myself turning down the roughness, not using 100% for the base's ffb strength, slowing down the wheel with the negative drift mode settings (it really should be called "constant friction"..).
So it's actually already over the top for me and this just gives me the feeling of not needing or wanting anything above.
A DD wheel only goes way further behind what I already turn down and don't use.
But some people use the csw at 100% and be like "I'd like 130% strength and it could be a bit rougher". Yep, then you'll need a DD wheel.

So for me, the csw is beyond what I use while Thrustmaster wheels or the csl elite would be not. In my opinion that's definitely a reason to think the csw would be a lot better.

Here's a video of wheels starting up or getting swiftly turned without ffb on:

Upvote 0
Probably not... Mostly there's stuff in the sale like... A leather rim without the hub, the different color sets for the v3 pedals.

Yes, the csw is a lot better than the csl.
Not because it's "better" when going into the details but because for me that's a thing of principle.

With the csl elite and the Thrustmaster wheels I always think "yep, this is great. Maybe it could run a bit smoother, maybe I'd like a but more punch, maybe I'd like a slightly quicker turning speed... Maybe it could be a bit rougher... Or maybe I'd like it to be quieter."

With the csw I find myself turning down the roughness, not using 100% for the base's ffb strength, slowing down the wheel with the negative drift mode settings (it really should be called "constant friction"..).
So it's actually already over the top for me and this just gives me the feeling of not needing or wanting anything above.
A DD wheel only goes way further behind what I already turn down and don't use.
But some people use the csw at 100% and be like "I'd like 130% strength and it could be a bit rougher". Yep, then you'll need a DD wheel.

So for me, the csw is beyond what I use while Thrustmaster wheels or the csl elite would be not. In my opinion that's definitely a reason to think the csw would be a lot better.

Here's a video of wheels starting up or getting swiftly turned without ffb on:
Thank you very much, one last question: Is a tabe clamp in the package included or do I need to spend 60€ on that?

Upvote 0
Thank you very much, one last question: Is a tabe clamp in the package included or do I need to spend 60€ on that?
Ah damn.. It's not included :(
I screwed it with the screws that came with it directly to my wheel stand.
Honestly for 60€ you could just buy a wooden plank, screw the wheel on that and then use standard clamps from the... What is it called lol.
Baumarkt anyway...
And clamp the wooden plank on your desk.

You can print the screw pattern from their page and just buy longer screws and drill holes into a wooden plank.

I'd never pay so much for such a clamp I have to say :cautious:

Upvote 0
Btw don't get me wrong, the ts-pc was an amazing upgrade to my g27! And the csl elite I drove at a local store for an hour was just as amazing too.

For me, like I stated the csw 2.5 (the 1 and 2.0 not btw as they don't have all the settings and strength!) is just closer to the final stage I need to be satisfied until forever.

But if DrRob puts out a good offer I'm sure you'd be very happy with the t500, which is closer to the ts-pc than to the t300.
And you'd save a lot of money!

If you're buying new however I'd definitely splash out the extra 150-250€ for the csw :)

Upvote 0
I went from a (very) used T500RS to a TS-PC with the round 488 rim, when my T500RS died a couple of months ago. The T500RS had all the power I wanted (I like a light wheel) but I found the high internal friction quite frustrating, and I felt it was preventing me from catching slides in AC.

I went with the TS-PC due to having Thrustmaster pedals and shifter, primarily, and I am glad I made that choice. Aside from the slightly irritating coil whine when it's not in use (I actually unplug my wheel between sessions now) I think it's a great wheel for the money. It is strong, very fast (compared to the T500RS), feels great to the touch, has built-in shifts lights in the rim and plenty of buttons. The FFB feels slightly 'grainy' compared to the T500RS, but aside from having to unplug when not in use, I don't have any regrets.

Btw, it's mounted to a Wheelstand-Pro as I am desk-based, and I don't have any issues with stability.

Upvote 0
4b1842271c8de6cc41b03f50e973f7.jpg

967938668c9f1537a819a360d0f5c8.jpg

05c352dace271090827dc860445202.jpg

Upvote 0
Would you recommend buying used Fanatec or Thrustmaster?
The csw bases are pretty sturdy as are the clubsport rims (universal hub, BMW, Porsche, formula black/carbon).
Pedals and the new plastic rims though...

You get 2 years warranty, which can be transferred with a little sheet of paper though :)

Also the csw bases can be repaired. There are spare parts and AFAIK a repair shop available at fanatec.

For Thrustmaster... It's more plastic style built so if it breaks after warranty, they are done as far as I know.

I wouldn't buy stuff that doesn't have warranty left apart from csw bases which were purchased in Germany for easy repairing if needed.

Upvote 0
The TS-PC can be had for as little as 250 second hand and it is built like a tank. I went from a T300 to a TS PC and the more I used it, the more of an upgrade it felt. In terms of value proposition nothing beats it imho. I now use a csw v2.5 and although better, it definitely loses on the value proposition imho. I would go ts PC and get some loadcell pedals to go with it.

Upvote 0
The TS-PC can be had for as little as 250 second hand and it is built like a tank. I went from a T300 to a TS PC and the more I used it, the more of an upgrade it felt. In terms of value proposition nothing beats it imho. I now use a csw v2.5 and although better, it definitely loses on the value proposition imho. I would go ts PC and get some loadcell pedals to go with it.
Which pedals would you recommend?

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 118 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 93 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 88 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 63 6.8%