Looking for ideas for a metal working project for my rig

RCHeliguy

Premium
I'm visiting a friend for a few days next week who has a fully equipped machine shop and will be getting end mill and lathe instruction and have all kinds of cutting and welding tools at my disposal.

I've been told there is plenty of 4041 steel, some SS, aluminum and industrial plastics which I assume means Nylon, UHMW, ABS, PVC, acrylic etc..

I have 5 days to come up with a design for something and at the moment I'm drawing a blank.

Any ideas???

Keyboard/mouse tray?

(beer holder)

At first I thought, done before, but I use a trackball mouse and maybe I can come up with something very compact for it. It will also need something like a rubber band to keep the trackball from rattling from the transducers.

I just realized that right on top of the right profile centered on the rear most hole would be perfect. I'll just need to tap the front and rearmost holes and that gives me a very easy mount point.

I'd want a couple sliding clamps to capture it in case I change out my track ball and a place to hook something that hold the trackball still, or maybe a quick lever that I can flip quickly that rests on it adequately.

I normally design all my own stuff, but this may be more of a collaboration. My friend is a crazy over the top intelligent. But this will be fun.

20190822_140641.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Getting some good instruction. I can now claim to understand the functionality of this metal lathe. It's a pretty complex beast. Makes a wood lathe look like a toy. Tomorrow hands on with the mill.

BTW this isn't me. That's Tom who is instructing me.
20190827_150903.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Getting some good instruction. I can now claim to understand the functionality of this metal lathe. It's a pretty complex beast. Makes a wood lathe look like a toy. Tomorrow hands on with the mill.

BTW this isn't me. That's Tom who is instructing me.
View attachment 321858

Awesome, leaning these trades is something everyone should know imo, (unfortunately trades in schooling is a thing of the past it seems)

I hope he gave you Fair warning on NEVER leaving the Chuck Locking Key IN the Machine when not needed. (looks like hes changing jaws in the pic) I was taught to Never put the locking key ANYWHERE but its drawer for storage or in the machine tightening with Hands on and then Immediately back in the drawer. Safety first i guess eh...

#YouTubeMachiningFails
#PotentialDeath
#LossOfLimbs

Upvote 0
He specifically told me that a guy could get FIRED for leaving a chuck key in the lathe. He was pulling that chuck apart and actively using the chuck key when I took that shot.. He made a big point about how dangerous it was to leave the chuck key in there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry to say this isn't the USB plug holder. I won't know the dimensions of that piece until my GT3 wheel arrives. Luckily I don't need slots on that and I can make it at home with my drill press. These are to strap down the two power supplies coming with the SC2.
20190828_145521.jpg

Upvote 0
6 axis actuator system accurate to 50 Millionths of an inch. Not quite a fit for a sim motion system, but still pretty cool!

My friend does some serious next level stuff in his lab. The machine shop is just so he can make whatever he needs which are mostly prototypes and one offs for highly customized high speed inspection systems. he writes all the software, to drive everything and to process the sensor data.

20190828_110929.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I asked Granite State about selling the motor mount side of their QR system. They replied to my request promptly and since then I've heard nothing. I've also been told I'm not the only person to ask for these parts and never received any sort of answer. Since I have no idea what they plan to do, I have a contingency plan to take care of my needs.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 305 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing