Looking for a good pc chair for racing.

Sorry, first off if this is in the wrong place.

Currently, I'm sitting in a wooden, dinning chair at the moment for my racing. It's not as bad as it sounds, but the back of it only goes about a third of the way up my back, and after say 30mins non-stop racing, it can get a little uncomfortable.

I'm looking for a chair that has a high back, with a headrest, so that I can actually rest back while the action on-track is low.

I have my wheel sitting on a high desk, so can't use one of them rocker type chairs that just sit on the floor that are mainly designed for the consoles.

My current has legs that are 18inches (2 and a half feet/450mm) high, so something in the lines of that. I've been looking, but either find a chair with a low back, or a console chair. Anyone here able to help.

My most wanted type of chair, would be a chair similar to a bucket racing chair, but is elevated up, and is well cushioned. But I have to do work on my PC, so just something thats comy, work hurt my back being in it for a long time. So high back, a big headrest, in a comfy material, that doesn't cost hundreds.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Ethan.

I`ve just upgraded from my home made oofer-madoofa, so i have a passenger seat from a BMW 318i (and old one).

Its not the prettiest seat in the world, but its pretty comfy. I`ve been using it as an everyday PC seat for around 4 years now.

If you can sort out shipping, you can have it for nothing.

I`ve seen real car seats mounted on the wheel frames of PC chairs, so you could do that with it?

Let me know if you want any pictures :)

Upvote 0
Hi Ethan.

I`ve just upgraded from my home made oofer-madoofa, so i have a passenger seat from a BMW 318i (and old one).

Its not the prettiest seat in the world, but its pretty comfy. I`ve been using it as an everyday PC seat for around 4 years now.

If you can sort out shipping, you can have it for nothing.

I`ve seen real car seats mounted on the wheel frames of PC chairs, so you could do that with it?

Let me know if you want any pictures :)

Sounds great, but I do have to see pictures first. I need to know how big it is and how much space it'll take up, because I have my rig under my desk, so I have just over a foots distance between the desk and my pc for my legs to fit and work my pedals. Also have my bed opposite my desk, but bed is sideways, so I sit at a right angle to the direction of the matress, leaving only two feet at most from the bed frame to the desk.

In mounting the chair, unless I gave it to friend to do, isn't going to happen as I don't have a frame or the metal work skills to make one, but so long as I'm not having to peer over my wheel to see the screen, I'll be happy with it's posistion.

For shipping it, I'll pay for it, you box it up. I don't really care what it looks like, so long as it's not a vulgar colour and isn't falling apart.

Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
DSC00023.JPG

The chair isn`t actually dirty. Its the kind of material that goes light when brushed one way, and dark when brushed the other. Granted, it isn`t spotlessly clean, just not that filthy! lol

Also, with the chair frame, your best bet would be to buy a crappy PC chair off ebay for pennies, and get rid of the seat part. Then just replace it with the car seat.

As the TV meerkat would say..... 'Simples'. :)

Upvote 0
View attachment 31956

The chair isn`t actually dirty. Its the kind of material that goes light when brushed one way, and dark when brushed the other. Granted, it isn`t spotlessly clean, just not that filthy! lol

Also, with the chair frame, your best bet would be to buy a crappy PC chair off ebay for pennies, and get rid of the seat part. Then just replace it with the car seat.

As the TV meerkat would say..... 'Simples'. :)

Chair looks good, my carpet does that thing of brush it one way to make it look darker stuff, so no problem there.

With the chair frame buisness, do you mean buying a standard office type chair, removing the chair itself, and replacing it with this?

Also, how hard would it be to remove the likes of the seatbelt bit?

Upvote 0
Chair looks good, my carpet does that thing of brush it one way to make it look darker stuff, so no problem there.

With the chair frame buisness, do you mean buying a standard office type chair, removing the chair itself, and replacing it with this?

Also, how hard would it be to remove the likes of the seatbelt bit?

Yes to removing chair and replacing with the car seat.

Also, i`m not sure how difficult it would be as i`ve never looked, although i hear seatbelt tensioners can be a pain.

I`ll have a little look around the seat later today and let you know. If i can remove it all myself i will, as that will make it lighter and maybe cheaper to ship.

Upvote 0
I just bought this. Ikea Boliden

ikea-tekstilsofaer-tekstillenestoler-boliden-stol-og-fotskammel-clip.jpg

Cost me $95. A pretty good position for racing and very comfy for long use. For my current desk, it was a tad bit low though. I made a 3 1/2" high base for it and made a base to get my pedals up some. Now I am in a "proper" racing position as well as a comfortable sitting position for desk use.

Upvote 0
Yes to removing chair and replacing with the car seat.

Also, i`m not sure how difficult it would be as i`ve never looked, although i hear seatbelt tensioners can be a pain.

I`ll have a little look around the seat later today and let you know. If i can remove it all myself i will, as that will make it lighter and maybe cheaper to ship.

Thanks, would be greatly appreciated.

I found this guide on how to mount a car seat onto an office chair's stand (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?referrerid=50100&t=398899), so I'll find a chair for pennies, then see if I can have a friend make me the mount.

I just bought this. Ikea Boliden

ikea-tekstilsofaer-tekstillenestoler-boliden-stol-og-fotskammel-clip.jpg

Cost me $95. A pretty good position for racing and very comfy for long use. For my current desk, it was a tad bit low though. I made a 3 1/2" high base for it and made a base to get my pedals up some. Now I am in a "proper" racing position as well as a comfortable sitting position for desk use.

Looks really good. Has a high back, but doesn't look like a posisition I could use, due to my desk being rather high, and being the only place I can mount my wheel.

£100 would also be my absolute limit, really not looking for something over the top like these (http://www.ergonomicofficechairs.com/recaro-office-chair.asp) which look like £500+ chairs, :eek:

Upvote 0
Or a sharp, very uncomfortable pain... =]

LOL, O ye of little faith.

Unfortunately Evan, you wont be making it with my BMW seat.
Those designers have cleverly made it impossible to remove the gubbins from the bottom and still be able to mount it on a PC chair base.

Bummer.

Although, dont be disheartened. You can always try your local scrappy. At least then you can check out the underneath of the seat and be able to judge if it can be dismantled and mounted.

Or buy a beanbag lol

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%