Looking Back on GTR2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Almost 13 years on from release, does GTR2 still have what it takes to entertain sim racing fans in 2019?

Many considered GTR2 to be one of the all time sim racing greats when it released back in 2006, however plenty of time has passed since those glory days of this sims early life - leaving me to wonder if the title still has what it needs to hold water with some of the more modern racing games of today.

Armed with the 10th Anniversary patch and the HQ Textures update, plus a few cheeky updates to the force feedback settings, we've embarked on a journey back in time to find out if this once legendary sim can still do the business in 2019.

Don't forget to check out the GTR2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment, a great place to continue discussing this olden but golden title, and pick up a few mods too!

Love what we do here at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

I agree on the fact that what makes a great simulation is the all package. From the menus to the physics. One aspect may be fantastic, but the all thing makes the difference. It is what makes simulations as GTR2 and Grand Prix Legends unique. Approaching Masta kinks at 300 kmh online or with AI is a thrilling experience at each lap after 10 years. Nobody cares if the physics is perfect.
Same applies to GTR2 with Ferrari, maserati, BMW, .....

Great games are great games today and for ever.

I agree on the fact that what makes a great simulation is the all package. From the menus to the physics. One aspect may be fantastic, but the all thing makes the difference. It is what makes simulations as GTR2 and Grand Prix Legends unique. Approaching Masta kinks at 300 kmh online or with AI is a thrilling experience at each lap after 10 years. Nobody cares if the physics is perfect.
Same applies to GTR2 with Ferrari, maserati, BMW, .....

Great games are great games today and for ever.
Yeah, I absolutely agree, I still have some races on the good old F1 challenge from time to time, just because of the clean all-in-one package aspect. Proper F1 races with proper F1 rules and good physics. That's the real thing.

Just being able to compare your lap times to those of the real drivers makes all the difference (even if there are always parameters which make them not entirely comparable ; but real lap times are the reference). I remember I was always on the real fia gt championship results pages during my own gtr2 championships. It really added something to the sim.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back