longer pauses between intro bits than used to.

Discussion in 'F1 2012 - The Game' started by joe pineapples, Dec 16, 2012.

1. joe pineapples

joe pineapples

Ratings:
    +28
    Hi

Just done a clean windows install and with it F1 2012. Now when the game starts and I press 'enter' to skip the various intro parts, it pauses (maybe 4secs) before loading the next bit. I don't recall it doing this before, and almost certain it was instant. Its fine flicking through the in-game menu screens though. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this?.

joe

2. Graham Laing

Graham Laing
    Retired Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,152
    As you have a fresh install of Windows and other software :-

Perhaps the loading of the next sequence is being delayed due to a virus checker scan of the next file being opened. (Active Protection)

Many virus checkers scan on file access by default, unless you set the virus checker to exempt a file or folder. In this case the F1 2012 folder (and sub-folders).

3. joe pineapples

joe pineapples

Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks for the reply Graham. I use Avira (free) and not had the problem before, but to be honest no idea if this does the file scan thing or not. Dirt 3 intro bits can be skipped instantly though as a comparison.

4. Graham Laing

Graham Laing
    Retired Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,152
    F 2012 loads pretty quickly, is tremendously fast when skipping, and much faster than F1 2011.

I was just guessing what might have changed (if it was ok before), since the re-install of the OS.

Another thing is graphic drivers, that's a possibility too, though unlikely.

I do remember an FPS game I used to play (maybe Bad Company 2), that at one stage took nearly a minute to load a map, let's say I was using Catalyst Drivers 10.1. When 10.2 came out, whoosh, maps loaded in 10 seconds, the previous 10.0 was good too.

I doubt that this is your problem, but it does highlight the fact that it can be something you wouldn't naturally think of .....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Andrey Varlamov

Andrey Varlamov

Ratings:
    +22
    I'm using NoIntro "mod" - replace 3 files (attract.bik, sting.bik, sting_gobo.bik) in the folder
    \Steam\steamapps\common\f1 2012\video
    with dummy files (make a backup copy at first :) ).
    NoIntro.zip

• Like Like x 2
  6. joe pineapples

joe pineapples

Ratings:
    +28
    Hi Guys

Finally figured out what the problem was with this, so posting in case it helps someone else sometime.

First of all I should have mentioned that it was fine before I upgraded my pc parts (mobo, mem, gfx card), but as it turns out it was a problem with the one part I hadn't upgraded - the keyboard... a Cherry G230. Swapped to a different one (MS 600) and its fine again (instant skipping). Only found out after posting about a similar problem (massive menu lag) with a closed beta game, on their forum and found out others had the same problem with Cherry keyboards. I think its more likely a windows software issue (maybe recent update), since another member has same problem, same keyboard but different mobo chipset (AMD).

Weird stuff that a keyboard can cause that.

joe

• Like Like x 1
  7. Graham Laing

Graham Laing
    Retired Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Kind of strange really, because my keyboard is about 80% Cherry Reds. Then again, it's a different manufacturer, as I am using a Corsair Vengeance K90 gaming keyboard.

I am assuming here that they use the name Cherry, because they are using 'Cherry' mechanical keys, whether they be Cherry reds, blues, browns, or blacks....

8. joe pineapples

joe pineapples

Ratings:
    +28
    (sorry for late reply)

Its a branded Cherry Keyboard, that's all I can tell you really - designed in Germany by Cherry.de and manufactured in China (info printed on the back). I guess it might be the way it polls the PC which is causing the problem. Anyway, going to try a mates MS Sidewinder X4 and see how that goes.

joe

• Like Like x 1