Long-term, major computer issues.

Alright, I'm getting nowhere with my computer. Here's my laptop's 'symptoms'.
- When I open a browser/app/program/window, it likes to close them on its own
- When updating/verifying files/etc, the thing will crash.
- Occasionally breaks by turning screen to black, save for some random coloured pixels. Can still move mouse, will alternate between being over/under the colours. Will sometimes randomly colour the pixels and keep rest of desktop visible. Will stay in either of these states nearly indefinitely, hardly ever crashes to blue screen when like this, any attempt to turn of pc normally isn't effective, can only hard close the computer by holding the off button.
- Will sometimes uninstall and remove apps on its own (typically Content Manager for AC)
- Frequently bluescreens, sometimes without me doing anything at all
- Even the startup loading screen thing will be laggy (can tell because dot wheel thing is very slow and jumpy)
- Minor thing, probably nothing: when turning computer off normally (a miracle), very often it will show an app or something solely called 'G' as preventing shutdown. Doesn't hold it up entirely, just odd.
Mentioned some of this in Assetto Corsa forum and they recommended I update drivers. Computer does recognise it needs an update, but when I do this it will start doing the second point I mentioned.
Mother, knowing I keep a lot of data on my laptop, is convinced all I need to do is make some space. I have been doing this, but often it will help only very slightly.
Lenovo Ideapad 300, Nvidia Geforce GTX, Intel i5+ cores, Windows 10, had for maybe two years now?
I'm getting to the breaking point with this thing. I know that holding the power button so often is killing it, but often I have no choice but to do that, otherwise the bastard will sit around doing nothing for the rest of time.
Someone help me out here. I don't know how, just... help.

Minor thing, probably nothing: when turning computer off normally (a miracle), very often it will show an app or something solely called 'G' as preventing shutdown.

The ”G“ process and shutdown problems are explained here:

As to the rest of your problems, as Schaefer said, I’d initially check for a virus, rootkit or malware. If that turns up nothing, try running something like checkdisk on the drive to check for corrupted sectors. Too little spare disk space can cause problems, including significant performance issues. If the problems persist, I’d be tempted to get a drive to replace the one that’s in your laptop and do a clean test installation of Windows and go from there. A small capacity, cheap drive would serve for testing purposes. If it all works, it was a problem with your original drive or something on it. If you still have the problems, you know that it must be hardware or BIOS related. That’s the start of a new line of diagnostics but at least you’d be pointed in the right direction.

Last edited:
No, you should not back this up to your backup harddrive (if you already have one).

You almost certainly have bad RAM (or another source of memory corruption) and that will lead to filesystem corruption as you write large amounts. You would overwrite your good backup with a bad one.

Step 1 is memtest86+

BTW, content manager to be "uninstalled" (disappearing) is a known defect in antivirus software. You want to turn AV off until you resolve the memory issues. Try to write as little as possible to the harddrive until it is stable.

No, you should not back this up to your backup harddrive (if you already have one).

You almost certainly have bad RAM (or another source of memory corruption) and that will lead to filesystem corruption as you write large amounts. You would overwrite your good backup with a bad one.

Step 1 is memtest86+
Hi, silly question, Memtest86 seems to want to be on a USB? Will it boot from the computer?

I'm trying, y'all, I am, but my computer keeps crashing, closing my browser, programs and my antivirus (McAfee), then crashing when I try to check for driver updates or do a scan for viruses (though I might have gotten a quick scan through once but unsure, not turning up anything, and the computer certainly hates the full scan).
The hell do I do? I'm not very good at computer problems to apologies in advance if I ask for simple things to be explained to me.

Make a memtest CD on a different computer and boot the offending one into it?

You could also see whether your laptop has 2 memory (RAM) modules and remove one or the other to see whether that helps. That is a very unscientific approach, but if you are lucky that does the trick.

You are better off turning off the antivirus for now. It is doing more damage than good.

Make a memtest CD on a different computer and boot the offending one into it?

You could also see whether your laptop has 2 memory (RAM) modules and remove one or the other to see whether that helps. That is a very unscientific approach, but if you are lucky that does the trick.

You are better off turning off the antivirus for now. It is doing more damage than good.
Would the Memtest not just be stopped by the pc crashing, like the updating drivers or antivirus scans?

Totally agree here, try to isolate a hardware problem first. Actually, first thing is to get the computer replaced if it's under warranty. Memtest is a good start for hardware testing, it boots outside of Windows so it's just a memory/hardware test. If the memory is good, you can start looking at other components. Run chkdsk on the hard drive, and use SpeedFan or another tool to get into the SMART diagnostics.

Download and run a test named "prime95" or "mprime". It runs inside Windows.

It tests the stability of the processor, and that includes heat management issues.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back