F1 2010 Long slow curves - strategy

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi racers,

I would like to ask proffesionals how to handle the long slow curves. Since I use public transport, I am not really familiar with driving in such difficult spots like the end of Silverstone or last curve in Hungary... at the beggining I tried to go as far as possible on full throttle and then brake and turn and then start throttle again when safe... the newer strategy is not going on full thottle, just a little bit so the speed is not raising or falling...but for me it looks slower... I have no idea whats correct/better. Can anyone advice how to survive in these neverending curves?
thank you

Calixo

You really just need to be patient with these corners, the tightest line is the quickest way round it, unless your wanting to overtake AI then you need to put in some wild late braking moments.

For running 1/1 wing settings all you need to do online is just downshift relatively quickly when you hit the white line and make sure your turning into the corner and you should make the corner, in career you need to be braking aswell.

I was trying to eliminate the 'coasting' part of my cornering yesterday Andrew. At the ad-hoc Hockenheim race yesterday afternoon, and the Valencia later that night. At best I was tending to run wide, understeering due to the extra throttle, and at worst I was having to save spinning out. I realise im gonna need waaaay more practice at this, as obviously its being a little counterproductive and costing me more time.

With the sorts of setup I know you run, you must be only applying a teeny-weeny bit of throttle until the car is staightened up for the exit right?
Im thinking I need to brake earlier, slow more for the turn in in order to be able to add gas earlier - but I generally seem to get outbraked and overtaken on a lot of turns, so I dont see how braking earlier will benefit me. Doesnt matter how fast I am out of the corner if someone has 'mugged me off' on the entry to it.

All that said, I did have a couple of what felt like pretty good, faster than normal exits from corners, and it was satisfying indeed. Sometimes I can really feel the car under me and even when it starts to step out I can just steer into it without disaster, however this is the minority of the time! Wondering if I should lower the sensitivity of the loud pedal or something, maybe I got a heavy right foot.

More advice, help or ridicule is welcome :p

You really just need to be patient with these corners, the tightest line is the quickest way round it, unless your wanting to overtake AI then you need to put in some wild late braking moments.

For running 1/1 wing settings all you need to do online is just downshift relatively quickly when you hit the white line and make sure your turning into the corner and you should make the corner, in career you need to be braking aswell.

Being newish to the game I have with time gotten better but it is still a work in progress, I have resorted to doing a lot more free practice sessions to hone in a bit more and figure out how to best engage corners, I am slowly getting to grips with the manual shifts (gamepad). In time and in the races I get them perfect, and the momentary lapse ends up in error or ridiculously slow around such corners.

I was trying to eliminate the 'coasting' part of my cornering yesterday Andrew. At the ad-hoc Hockenheim race yesterday afternoon, and the Valencia later that night. At best I was tending to run wide, understeering due to the extra throttle, and at worst I was having to save spinning out. I realise im gonna need waaaay more practice at this, as obviously its being a little counterproductive and costing me more time.

With the sorts of setup I know you run, you must be only applying a teeny-weeny bit of throttle until the car is staightened up for the exit right?
Im thinking I need to brake earlier, slow more for the turn in in order to be able to add gas earlier - but I generally seem to get outbraked and overtaken on a lot of turns, so I dont see how braking earlier will benefit me. Doesnt matter how fast I am out of the corner if someone has 'mugged me off' on the entry to it.

All that said, I did have a couple of what felt like pretty good, faster than normal exits from corners, and it was satisfying indeed. Sometimes I can really feel the car under me and even when it starts to step out I can just steer into it without disaster, however this is the minority of the time! Wondering if I should lower the sensitivity of the loud pedal or something, maybe I got a heavy right foot.

More advice, help or ridicule is welcome :p

Repeat after me: "I am already fast enough, I do not need to improve my driving. I will never overtake Marine and I will always yield when I see him behind me." Say this to yourself out loud 25 times every day. :wink: :D

To answer you Paul my setup does compliment the fact that I normally pull away on the straights so losing a little time on corner entry doesnt matter for me, using small brakes also aids the turning of the car, also being right at the limit of what downshift to be in helps turn in hence why someone said that I seem to turn like an indecisive fly.

I dont know what setup your using but generally if your using more front wing then this will be alot harder to achieve as you will end up spinning out, same with getting the power down.

To answer you question on getting the power down yes I have as much power that the car will allow me to do through the whole corner once im off the brakes the transition should be near enough instant from brake to accelerate same with acceleration to braking as long as you are using the pedal to the furthest it will handle (this will be determined on how balanced the car) then you just need to keep practicing. I dont know if anyone remembers this far back but when I started doing online races I was easily midfield but blisteringly quick over a few laps its only really after 650 hours that ive managed to hone my ability to where it is now.

I understand that this amount of time may not be achievable for all.

With reference to Pual Locks question on braking point-exit speed or track position:

A further word on braking. It again is critical that you have in mind a clear sight picture of your braking marker and the corresponding adjustment for that phase in the race. Many drivers will lose a place when, in battling for position they brake in a very different spot. Just because you are in a duel for position the laws of physics and the tried and tested braking points you have established do not change. One race driver coach puts it this way. There are three braking points: 1) One that you can depend on lap after lap for smooth consistent laps. 2) One that you will use on a low fuel qualifying lap, 3)One you will use on an aggressive overtaking move to gain track position and happily sort out the exit to the corner once you are in front. If you find yourself in a braking duel and you arrive at #3 then you should brake. Don’t wait for the other guy to brake. You can give him a wave as he disappears into the scenery. IE he won’t make the corner. If the competitor brakes after your final point, you will more often than not re- pass him/her during or just after the corner. If not sideways, off track or worse they will be so busy trying to slow their car and get it back on line to negotiate the next part of the track they will lose speed. What can you then do? This is where the over and under comes in.
  1. When defending in a medium to high speed corner: The high percentage move is to stay very wide and brake well, yet again focussing on your corner exit speed. By letting the other car pass you at a higher speed but on a less optimum inside line their exit is inherently compromised. In many cases you will simply drive past accelerating on the racing line past them as they drift wide under brakes past the apex. There will be times they pull it off but only a minority.
  2. When defending in a low speed corner: Track position becomes more critical than momentum and hence line and overcooking it is a mistake that is more easily overcome. If someone puts their car in front of you it is easier for them to get it back under control and defend. Position your car somewhat more to the middle of the track but where you can still get a decent line to the apex. Ensure that you hit the apex.
in a series of corners your tactic (a or b above) will be dictated by the exit speed of the corner. High exit speed use a) above, Slow exit speed exit speed use b) above.

From F1 2010 The Advnaced Drivers Guide

Haha yes Andrew it was me who said your car was 'nimble' despite the fact if you ran any less wing you would probably become airborne!

Indeed im starting to think that my setup doesnt compliment that style, too much wing and too soft is literally driving me off the track rather than kicking the backend round, but I am determind to stick at it, and make changes to whatever necessary to get faster (sorry Jan!). I mean, obviosuly you guys have your thoughts, but I think in the big scheme of things im fairly quick and know my way around the tracks, but I just need to get that 0.5 - 1sec 'edge' from gaining time in the corners. (and a bit more consistency)
Im not exactly a noob either, with about 530hrs driving time on F1 - but I probably need another 530hrs to try and master this technique. Obviously changing my setups and style in corners is almost going back to scratch anyway.

Maybe just starting with one of your setups and trying it would give me a better starting block.

David - cheers for the pointers again. Ive read your guides throughly, and I understand all the principals and consequences of braking point hits and misses - however I am trying to change my style/setup completely and with that braking points are gonna change. In fact everything changes - so I guess im gonna have to tough it out till I get some skillz with this new approach to racing.

I know TT and GP are chalk and cheese, but I think at Hocken TT im something like 1 - 1.5 secs behind 'The Bortz' - so I must be doing something right navigating the track. I just neeeeeeeeeeeed to find that extra second from somewhere, and if going back to the drawing board and being non-competitive for a while is what it takes, then thats what Im gonna have to do! :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 202 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 256 13.4%