AC Lola T70 @ Silverstone 67 - Wednesday 08 Jan 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
These events are really not about me, it is about the rest of you, but I like to give a little report about how I got on.

Very annoyed with myself ..50 odd laps in practice staying on the black stuff and doing decent lap times ...4 laps in the race, driving like an idiot and left the black stuff on three occasions...I went back to the pits in total frustration...nothing further to report for first race....but I hope the rest of you are happy with the first race :thumbsup:

2nd race was much better thankfully...she was a tough car to drive although I loved her.

Congrads to the podiums in both races :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and congrads to all the drivers that managed to finish

How to see you all again soon :thumbsup:

Just remembered @Medilloni john, had no 5 countdown lights at the start, just guessed, badly come to that, when they would all go out. There was probably no way you could have missed me. This has happened before to me.
I had to wait until everyone moved before dropping the clutch.
Was a lousy race for me, but funnily enough it was so eventful, actually enjoyed it.
{ Strange person that I am }.:)
Thanks to @Craig Dunkley for the event, should have been over subscribed?
Well done to all who stayed on the track and the podiums.:thumbsup:

Thanks for tonight's races @Craig Dunkley , what an amazing car - first 20 or so laps of practice were Hell but once you're 'in the groove', well, it's heaven :p

Huge congrats to @Denis Betty and @Stig Bidstrup for the wins, great races both of you:)

First race - my apologies to you Stig, near the end I was losing concentration.... but got it back when you caught me! Unfortunately I made the Cardinal Sin of hesitating on my attempt to pass at Woodcote, sloppy move from me but so glad you could carry on, and thanks for being so fair as always:thumbsup:

Second race - apologies @Kek700 (I've seen your post btw!:p), I had a great start, lack of judgement getting around you and I f***ed up others behind me, so my apologies to all of you caught up in it. Rest of the race was magic, just trying to hit consistent times and try to put Stig under pressure - but ran out of talent:laugh:

I've uploaded the 2nd race to Simresults.net, so if anyone has the 1st one to upload I'd be very grateful.

Thanks to @Craig Dunkley for the event, should have been over subscribed?
Absolutely Ernie, wish others knew of this. Another play with the Lola on a track with more variation of corners - long ones like Silverstone but with potenial outbraking zones, which are long!) would be fantastic.

I only got to my best setup in the event practice, but if it helps anyone I've attached it - would love to compare with others?:whistling:

Attachments

• Lola T70 poss race jp3.ini
    999 bytes · Views: 85
Thanks for tonight's races @Craig Dunkley , what an amazing car - first 20 or so laps of practice were Hell but once you're 'in the groove', well, it's heaven :p

Huge congrats to @Denis Betty and @Stig Bidstrup for the wins, great races both of you:)

First race - my apologies to you Stig, near the end I was losing concentration.... but got it back when you caught me! Unfortunately I made the Cardinal Sin of hesitating on my attempt to pass at Woodcote, sloppy move from me but so glad you could carry on, and thanks for being so fair as always:thumbsup:

Second race - apologies @Kek700 (I've seen your post btw!:p), I had a great start, lack of judgement getting around you and I f***ed up others behind me, so my apologies to all of you caught up in it. Rest of the race was magic, just trying to hit consistent times and try to put Stig under pressure - but ran out of talent:laugh:

I've uploaded the 2nd race to Simresults.net, so if anyone has the 1st one to upload I'd be very grateful.

Absolutely Ernie, wish others knew of this. Another play with the Lola on a track with more variation of corners - long ones like Silverstone but with potenial outbraking zones, which are long!) would be fantastic.

I only got to my best setup in the event practice, but if it helps anyone I've attached it - would love to compare with others?:whistling:
I'm off up the stairs to Bedfordshire, but if I remember, I'll post my set here tomorrow.

Thanks Craig for organising - great combo. The Lola is surely one of my favourite cars, they just don't make em like they used to. :D

The Lola is surely one of my favourite cars, they just don't make em like they used to. :D
Apologies for the nostalgic waffle Denis, but when I was behind you I was really laughing - I noticed the flat aluminium plate on the back of your car that's called a 'wing'. One of my first jobs as an apprentice was making these, the other was polishing Magnesium wheels :laugh:

Loved the car, but found it very difficult.
Struggled to come to terms with it, it was always controlling me, should be the other way around, shouldn’t it. :(
over taking was also difficult, just tensed up expecting the worst, usually was the worst too.:roflmao::(:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Just out of interest will give it another go with your set up John, worth a shot.

Loved the car, but found it very difficult.
Struggled to come to terms with it, it was always controlling me, should be the other way around, shouldn’t it. :(
over taking was also difficult, just tensed up expecting the worst, usually was the worst too.:roflmao::(:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Just out of interest will give it another go with your set up John, worth a shot.
I think overtaking at Silverstone '67 is hard in most cars Ernie - not many heavy braking zones and very similar corners make it hard I guess. I didn't like my setup by the way, it was just the easiest one to keep on track, mostly.:laugh:

well tried all setups, mine, yours, and a combination , pinched your much softer front end.

my setup......
I had the front much stiffer to try to calm the power over steer, it worked quite well.
the problem was mainly ME though, trying to pick your fasted line is very difficult lap after lap, corner after corner.
It had the advantage that i could get the power down quicker, but turning it in was too sluggish, which ultimately meant a long wait.
The problem for me, in racing condition it makes more impetuous than when practicing, this being my ultimate down fall.

Johns setup....
typically what i expected, nervous, wants to oversteer, will with any provocation.
The advantage was with some of the corners it would turn in with some vigour, allowing power to be put down earlier. some corner were not so forgiving, you were controlling the oversteer rather than putting the power down.

Combination...
funnily it was a very good compromise, almost literally best of both worlds, much keener to turn much better to get traction down.

my setup- 29.5
your setup 28.7
combination - 28.7

Proviso is that this is such a difficult car, you just cannot get each corner anywhere near right,
So each and every lap is a problem, the circuit can for me only be correct if i do 10 laps and pick the best 7 corners from those 10 laps,
trying to do 1 lap and get all 7 corners, even reasonably right is beyond me. :)

Johns setup....
...typically what i expected, nervous, wants to oversteer, will with any provocation.
Sounds like my therapist talking :roflmao:

Thanks Ernie, interesting to hear and thanks for your feedback:thumbsup: - I still think I was driving an understeering piggy though. On a serious note, I noticed most were driving a 'classic' line, so the thought came that the good chances of overtakes would be exit speed, the setup came from wanting very late apexes and a tow, if that makes sense:O_o:

I'd be interested to try your combination, so, show us yer back end :whistling: :p

I see what you mean, hope you were laying on a couch when you read that.:roflmao::roflmao:

I did notice that when you overtook, “I did not get that of a bad drive out of the corner to the long straight”, for you to come wizzing past.
I spotted that also, had a few fumble passing attempts, but for me I struggled with this car, so when I had the momentum to pass did not have the skill set to make it stick, :(:(
A late apex was the way to go, you could shave tenths off every exit with that, but as I keep saying just could not get the traction or nose of the car were I wanted it.
Look forward to my next go in this car, hope it’s a wide circuit.

Will post my setups when I get to my PC. Did three laps with each setup.

If you get time, three laps. fastest one. :)
Thanks Ernie, that was interesting - I did cheat in that I did 5 laps in standard setup just to get the feel back:p
All starting with 20ltrs.
My setup - 1:28.400 (.085 better than PB)
Your setup - 1:29.195
Combo - 1:28.197 as it is, 1:28.105 with front wing at 1 :inlove:

Your setup was hard with the understeer, but drive it like Richard Longman (60's Minis?) and it's quick, the inside corner walls are a pain to drive like that though!

The combo was excellent, you can carry more speed through Chapel, Abbey and Woodcote, and far better than mine on corner exit. With more time 27's would definitely be on.

Last edited:
Thankyou for that John,:thumbsup: I am pleased that fits into what I experienced.
Your setup was quick for me but all the corners you mentioned it meant I was fighting oversteer rather than accelerating. But unlike you I also had trouble with acceleration out of slow corners. Your setup felt so on edge.
Particularly noticeable at woodcote as you pointed out, your setup really wanted to oversteer there.

As you say 27 is definitely on, got close, but as I have boring said many times:sleep:,:sleep::sleep::sleep: just struggled with consistency in this car.

( I particularly like setting up my cars, more than racing, all this helps
me get an understanding between theory and practice, problem is that it can be very time consuming.):thumbsup::thumbsup:

just remembered, was going to put more grip into the front of the car to try and compensate for the understeer but had a concern that it would make it
difficult for a full race. “Learnt something there”, the reality was that it just made it point to the corner much better and generally speaking did not make it any worse of an oversteering car, made it into a better balanced car.

many thanks John.

On a side note, love to see one of our alien drivers run it around 1967
Silverstone, now that would be worth watching.
Ran the Lola T70 against Ai using the Calibra DTM as the Ai cars around 1967 silverstone,
Lola T70 was almost as quick, not bad for a mid 1960 car, :thumbsup:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back