Logitech G29

fakegy.jpg

Found this while researching something else. Don't know how old or new this pic is but this would be nice.;)

Upvote 0
I hope not that long but I fear you are right Mitt. Would be nice if they speeded up the development of new wheels a bit or at least extended their product range with some high-end wheel like the other two bigger wheel manufacturers.

Upvote 0
Well they're still the number one wheel manufacturer and most of the mainstream wheels that are sold are either G27's or DFGT's so in that sense there really isn't a hurry to push out anything new and the competitors aren't really pushing in those classes either.

Secondly, they just don't probably don't have the money to spend on R&D in a department that certainly wouldn't pull their stock from the rut. The last two years haven't exactly been good for them.

I couldn't find the source, apart from a couple of posts over at NeoGAF, but I'm pretty sure you'll find something on the subject in the financial reports regarding something like specialized gaming peripherals or similar. I can't say I'm 100% sure about it, but I'm still pretty sure I remember it going like that and the local importer said to me not to expect any news regarding new wheels about a year back.

Upvote 0
I guess Logitech's business thinking is why develop a high end wheel that has a very narrow market when they already have a major majority market share of racing wheels?

Their G27 fits into a very nice area that most casual 'gamers' can still afford (ie. sub-$300) and for that you get a LOT for your money - a pretty decent steering wheel, pedals and a shifter.

The next step from a G27 is huge with a CSW or T500 setting you back $600 - $700..:cautious:

Sure there is still that $300 - $600 range that someone could fit into but ask yourself, how much of the market would a wheel in that price range really take away from the G27 for the average 'gamer' that would rather spend his money on the next hot console title than tying up all his money in a wheel.

Would a $400-$500 wheel be that much better than a G27? How would that compare with the build quality of the CSW?

I'm guessing, once you start heading towards that amount of money, you are no longer a casual gamer but a sim racer that wants the best.. and the extra $200 required to make it into the 'high end' is justifiable

My thoughts anyway....

Upvote 0
Pretty much that and the fact that the whole R&D department that developed wheels amongst other things was apparently considered too costly and expendable when their profits took a hit so they axed it completely. Given that they've cut nearly 450 jobs recently chances are they haven't gotten any new R&D for anything steering wheel related.

Upvote 0
Quote "I guess Logitech's business thinking is why develop a high end wheel that has a very narrow market when they already have a major majority market share of racing wheels?"

Hi Paul. They didn't really have to. For the price they do have a good wheel in the G27 but to help their finances all they needed to do was to come up with an add-on F1 style steering wheel (without paying a fortune to a major car manufacturer). Not so difficult perhaps ? If you have such a good market share then you should make use of it.

Upvote 0
For the price they do have a good wheel in the G27 but to help their finances all they needed to do was to come up with an add-on F1 style steering wheel (without paying a fortune to a major car manufacturer). Not so difficult perhaps ? If you have such a good market share then you should make use of it.
The market is very, very limited compared to what Logitech is aiming at to get their profits back up and whatever they would do is not likely give them any extra profits compared to just letting the G27 reign over.

And as I said, they don't have an R&D department that's specialized in such hardware to design anything new nor do they have the money or interest to get back in the game. R&D, new manufacturing process, shipping and marketing all take money and is a risk in their current situtation.

Upvote 0
I was thinking of replacing my G27 cause i saw the Fanatec clubsport wheel base with nice rims supporting it. Whatever people say: it wont make me faster, only poor. So far the G27 is truly a fantastic wheel. I did some mods (Chilicoke's) for the shifter and i hardmounted the pedals up side down (also Chilicoke) in my home made cockpit. Very nice that i could do this with a wheel and pedals for under 300 euro's. Its even very easy to change rims. So were is the big difference with a thrustmaster of Fanatec. People will say: Belt driven is much more precise than gears. Maybe...dunno, but what i do know: it wont make me a second faster. It's all about getting used to and right now im very used to the G27. Driven thousands of miles, its still spot on. I dont see why Logitech would release a new wheel. I dont thrust Thrustmaster *lol* (have the Warthog which has been a true disaster). And Fanatec lookes very good but i rather spent my money on a new rig.

Upvote 0
While things are tight they are unlikely to develop anything race related and in their situation I would be doing the same thing and saying goodbye to the R&D budget/staff for it. Racing never has and never ever will be core business for Logitech. More everyday accessories such as mice, keyboards, speakers are where the volumes allow them the largest margins on the smallest R&D and production costs imo and as such they would be my bet for securing the companies future.

Upvote 0
I was thinking of replacing my G27 cause i saw the Fanatec clubsport wheel base with nice rims supporting it. Whatever people say: it wont make me faster, only poor.
I had the G27 and now have a CSW base and GT3 rim..

Trust me when I say you are wrong on the not making you faster side of things. This thing is so precise - it's hard to discribe, but it is an amazing wheel and has not only made my PB lap times drop but am a LOT more consitant with those times, lap after lap..

You are however correct about making you poor - it is not a cheap setup :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 240 14.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 160 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 121 7.5%
  • < 5 years