Logitech DFGT: Gran Turismo Dynamic Paddle Shifter Set: DPS-200

Ross McGregor

Former Editor of Traxion.GG
Premium
After struggling with the DFGT's achillie's heel (other than the awful pedals) for a couple of years, i decided to try these add-on paddles.

Received them a couple of days ago (only took around a week to be delivered from Missouri, USA!) and my first impressions are favourable. They're easy to attach, and despite only using double-sided tape, actually adhere very well to the wheel. In fact, i don't have any doubts that they'll last quite a long time.

IMG_9899.jpg

IMG_9893.jpg

IMG_9892.jpg

They look pretty good too, and once i set them properly they feel quite comfortable to use, especially in RSBR2012, where gearshifts come thick and fast and can make the difference between ending up in a tree or taking a fine racing line. (or ending up in another tree if my rally skills are taken into account)

The shifter action feels slghtly softer compared to the old buttons, but given time it now feels quite natural. However, the biggest problem for me is the adjustment in my grip to accomodate the larger paddles. With the small buttons i was able to wrap my whole hand around the back of the wheel, giving me a good, solid grip. Initially i found it tough to adapt, but after a couple of hours practice i'm getting the hang of it- keeping my index fingers gripped onto the back of the wheel and using my other three fingers to perform the shifts.

Overall then, if you have a DFGT and are slighly disappointed by the shifter buttons, then i'd thoroughly recomend these! (and a decent set of pedals of course!) Here's a link to their website if you want more info: http://granturgismo.com/buypaddles.html

Update: After a week's worth of abuse i'm wondering how i ever managed without them! Highly recomended for all DFGT owners.

Btw, now that I have them working:

- They hold on in a very secure fashion
- They allow very fast shifting
- They feel comfortable
- You get less misshifts

All in all a very good product :)

I would recommend the dps-200 because you propably need to adjust the travel to allow fitting your hands inbetween; atleast I needed that.

Upvote 0
I have been using the adjustable paddles for 5 months now, they are very good and certainly worth getting.

I have a couple of minor gripes, is that the PTFE tape that you stick to, and bend around the switches, will not stick for long (around the edge of the switch), the tape is a little too rigid. So I had to trim some off to stop the tape interfering with the switch travel as the switch is depressed into it's recess. Not a big deal.

I would also have liked the plastic/nylon screw heads on the adjuster of each paddle, to use more of the available surface area up against the switch. On my wheel the screw head has less than a quarter of the screw head area in contact with the surface of the switch, I would have preferred most of it to make contact, as it sits just too close to the edge of the switch. So I could have done with the holes for those screws to be drilled around 3 - 4mm inboard of where they are now. This would give slightly less leverage to the paddle, but would spread the load better across the screw head.

Assuming your DFGT Wheel lasts as long as you hope it will (see below), these additional paddles make the wheel much more functional, and are worth the money.

Unfortunately, as of 2 days ago, my down shift switch is buggered. It's now making random double down shifts, and is totally screwing up my racing. This is particularly bad for hairpins and chicanes, where I can get 2 double shifts and hit neutral or even worse, reverse!

I tried auto-shifting yesterday and hated it, I don't like assists, and the auto box totally screws up all the braking points stored in your head for all the tracks. I am used to late braking and engine braking. So now, just to get by, I am trying to get used to using the sequential stick shift instead of the paddles.

I have not had my money's worth out of this wheel sadly, especially after I was singing it's praises soon after I got it, and persuaded 2 friends to buy it.

So unless I can find a way of replacing that microswitch, then it may be a G27 for me, which I can't afford, and seems to suffer centering problems long after initial reports to Logitech well over a year ago. That worries me for such a large expense. The Thrustmaster T500 or the Fanatec CSR/CSR(E) are out of the question ......:(

Upvote 0
Hi, I wouldn't know what's available to be honest, because I would never buy 2nd hand wheel.

That's simply because you just never know how the wheel has been used or abused. I know that a new wheel can fail at any time, but at least you have some rights and a guarantee.

After I posted I found the original (but badly faded) receipt (17 months), and then raised a ticket with Logitech support. I am in Europe, so it has a 2 year guarantee, hopefully the fact that I no longer have the original box, won't make a difference ....... Let's see how quickly they reply.

I even made a youtube video and gave them a link, as it clearly shows what can happen when my wheel drops 2 gears suddenly, you spin out. I haven't played Race 07 for quite a while, and haven't run Nurburgring Nordschleife for a year I think. So my driving was poor, but it gets the point across I think, better than a F1 2011 video in my opinion.

Upvote 0
@Gnu UK I know your problem well.

My DFGT has occasionaly the same problem with double-upshifts and since I use the up and down-shift buttons reversed, it is essentailly on the same button as on yours.

For some reason for me, the problem started to gradually go away after some weeks.
Then on one night it came back really hard when I was driving with rFactor 2 but much worse than on your video, again just with the left-shifter button.
I immediatly tested in on race07 afterwards and had no probs what so ever.

In conclusion I think that the contact on the left-shifter has some kind of problem over time with either 1) a certain kind of strong ffb or 2) maybe with overheating.

May I ask how strong your ffb settings are in the games that you use it?

Anyway, If you still have warranty, get a replacement :)

Upvote 0
Hi Dino

If you mean FFB in the Logitech Profiler, then it varies from game to game. Here's 3 of the games in % from the top of the profiler ...

F1 2011 - 50, 0, 0, 0 <<< this game double shifts

Race 07 - 100, 24, 24, 0 <<< this game double shifts

GSC - 101, 0, 0, 0 <<< this game does NOT double shift (yet?)

GSC is a stock car game, but I never driver the stock cars, just the Formula Reiza, Classic, and F3.

It think GSC handles the gear shifting differently from the other 2 games. I am assuming this because there is a file you can tweak to enable faster down shifting for the Formula cars, the Stock cars have used a value in the file that makes down shifting slower. So perhaps because of this 'shift speed' control setting, the input from the wheel, is for want of a better way to describe it, "filtered", where the other games maybe more "direct", if you see what I mean .... So in GSC the extraneous down shift requests are ignored because of the "filter". This is PURE guesswork .... :)

I am currently negotiating with Logitech. My receipt has spend 17 months in my wallet and is in poor condition, and they want me to test the wheel on another PC, and I don't have access to another one. :confused:

I have seriously hijacked this thread, so I'd better leave it there ...... my apologies to the other guys who were just interested in those excellent paddles .....

Cheers

EDIT: March 27th - Just a note to say that Logitech (Europe) were very helpful and friendly, and replied to my questions very quickly. One of their replies was sent in under 25 minutes. The wheel was RMA'd today, shipping was free (48 hr shipping), and a new wheel has been allocated to me. The new wheel will despatch as soon as they receive my old one. A good experience all round, so kudos to Logitech :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 96 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 72 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 77 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 49 6.4%
  • < 5 years