Resource icon

Misc LOD generator 1.4

Login or Register an account to download this content
Hi man,
Looks like a awesome tool was just playing around with it somewhat to look at its potential,
some things seem vague in the instructions and its causing errors when running the files,

4. Edit Batchconvert(Run as admin).bat with the windows text editor or Notepad++ and replace all 3 [PATH TO SYMPLIGON INSTALL FOLDER] parts with the path to the folder you installed Simplygon to. The entire path needs to direct to the SimplygonBatch.exe. Double check to make sure it's 100% right.

what does this mean highlighted in RED above ? :)
replace all 3 what there is not 3 paths there.

Hi man,
Looks like a awesome tool was just playing around with it somewhat to look at its potential,
some things seem vague in the instructions and its causing errors when running the files,

4. Edit Batchconvert(Run as admin).bat with the windows text editor or Notepad++ and replace all 3 [PATH TO SYMPLIGON INSTALL FOLDER] parts with the path to the folder you installed Simplygon to. The entire path needs to direct to the SimplygonBatch.exe. Double check to make sure it's 100% right.

what does this mean highlighted in RED above ? :)
replace all 3 what there is not 3 paths there.
I'm also just testing it - from what I gather if you installed simplygon to the default directory, you shouldn't have to change anything there at all.

I'm also just testing it - from what I gather if you installed simplygon to the default directory, you shouldn't have to change anything there at all.
Yeah I imagined that, I checked and checked my paths it was the exact same paths,
but still its coming up with errors for some reason when I run the batch files,
its extracting the fbx and textures but not running anything :)

I keep getting this error on all LOD
92173590057c9be0e381e53b7642a0f3.png

Not quite sure what else needs editing,
but like I stated above in my 1st post, seems vague the instructions to what exactly needs altering if anything :)
f77dc0c601cd2f8fac0fc4b286a70a73.png

Maybe once some one has figured how this works they could make a video tutorial.
Looks awesome that would be useful indeed,
I followed what I understand in the instructions best I could,
even using the dragndrop gen, its removing all the files then giving errors it cant find them,
same tool deleting them lol :)

Little write up after testing and comparing this to conventionally made LODs, and what I predicted earlier sums it up pretty well -
Better than nothing is about as good as I'm expecting tbh

I commend the effort gone into creating this, but as expected the results are really not comparable to handmade LODs, and I think the definitely worth the little effort needed to create LODs manually that are better than this.

Here is a quick comparison of my manually generated LODs, vs what this auto generated ones can do (bear in mind I tweaked the CMD file to try and match tri counts between my LODs and the auto LODs, out of the box they are much more tri-heavy!)

LOD A for reference, 239k tris + 139 Objects
JFDjafbh.jpg

LOD B, 30k tris + 78 Objects
RyWf4Mfh.jpg

LOD C, 8.6k tris + 35 Objects
qTu3i5jh.jpg

LOD D, 2.4k tris + 2 Objects
7HYB52Ah.jpg

And the auto generated LODs

LOD B, 34.5k tris + 117 Objects
M4Q1B7Uh.jpg

LOD C, 8.3k tris + 87 Objects
EzZI4nwh.jpg

LOD D, 5.6k tris + 74 Objects
4rRKojJh.jpg

Sooo yeah. Better than absolutely nothing imo.

Little write up after testing and comparing this to conventionally made LODs, and what I predicted earlier sums it up pretty well -

I commend the effort gone into creating this, but as expected the results are really not comparable to handmade LODs, and I think the definitely worth the little effort needed to create LODs manually that are better than this.

Here is a quick comparison of my manually generated LODs, vs what this auto generated ones can do (bear in mind I tweaked the CMD file to try and match tri counts between my LODs and the auto LODs, out of the box they are much more tri-heavy!)

LOD A for reference, 239k tris + 139 Objects
JFDjafbh.jpg

LOD B, 30k tris + 78 Objects
RyWf4Mfh.jpg

LOD C, 8.6k tris + 35 Objects
qTu3i5jh.jpg

LOD D, 2.4k tris + 2 Objects
7HYB52Ah.jpg

And the auto generated LODs

LOD B, 34.5k tris + 117 Objects
M4Q1B7Uh.jpg

LOD C, 8.3k tris + 87 Objects
EzZI4nwh.jpg

LOD D, 5.6k tris + 74 Objects
4rRKojJh.jpg

Sooo yeah. Better than absolutely nothing imo.
I dont think there is a dream LOD tool, I always dream about 1,
but no matter where you look they end up similar results to this,
nothing beats hand methods in my book, well currently anyways :)

which one is better?

relatitvity hitting hard ;)
Manual is always better is controlled more, but keep at it and see where it goes,
it shouldnt be optimizing and crushing the boarders of the mesh,
something inside the script is optimizing the mesh wrong,

proOptimizer mod as multiple options, if you choose for example protect boarders it will do so and protect UV also and textures so keeping the same UV space as before,
issues with these things it requires smoothing groups to work,
so removing smoothing and making hard edges, then using that modifier will give maximum results,

for your tool to be optimizing for example doors and leaving black spaces,
its not protecting boarders of the actual geometry,

but even fixing these things, making the LOD and gaining perfect smoothing will be a hard task :)
95a36ee5c750a4fa51aa7112cb691572.png

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 360 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing