LOD documentation?

I read on Ruud's site (at http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/lod.htm) that the syntax for generic LOD is like this:
Code:
objects
{
  ; Generic LOD levels (in case no per-object LOD is given)
  lod0_z=50
  track01
  {
   }
}

I had no problems with this on Small City 2009, but with Gizmo's there seems to be some major problems. Some objects simply disappear altogether, while some appear, disappear then reappear at random intervals.

My question is, what decides the point from where the LOD is drawn? Is it the track cameras or the position of the driver? If it is the driver, then lod0_z=50 should mean that any object that is more than 50m away from the car should not be drawn. Same with lod0_z=1200, anything more that 1.2km away should not be drawn. But on Gizmo's, with the latter LOD, I can stand next to an object and still not see it.. code used for testing is as follows:

Code:
objects
{
  sky
  {
    file=sky.dof
    flags=0
    ; sky seemed to vanish without this..
    lod0_z=10000000000
  }
  ; generic LODS
  lod0_z=800
  lod1_z=1200
  lod2_z=1800
 }
}
Any tips on documentation or LOD settings?

TIA

There are problems with the lod0_z= item! It doesn't work quite right as I have noticed with gyral track when using the mirror.

But generally the objects are supposed to stay visible until the distance is reached. There is a page on www.racer.nl for the old way and new way both of which don't work right.

Something else for Ruud and company to look into!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 225 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 153 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 217 14.2%