Locking up all the time

So, I'm not new to racing games, but not amazing either.

But I'm having real trouble with locking up.

For example was running a race in the Ferrari 458 GT2 with all assits off. And if I press my pedal more than about 35-50% I lock up, I cant even get near 100% braking.

I've tried everything I can think of with the game settings and driving style and nothing seems to make any difference. I've tried applying the brake hard and then towards the end of the braking zone lifting off, but the problem is I lock up straight away. I've tried being really light on the pedal but I need to brake at about 300m if not more. And I've also tried pumping the brakes, and that just ends up with on and off locking.

I have a Thrustmaster F430 FFB wheel, but cant seem to find any wheel settings in the sticky for it.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Or is this normal and I just need to be very very careful on the brakes?

Fully press down the break pedal a few times before leaving the pits. Pumping the breaks before going out on track works for me. Don't know what causes that but that makes things way less sensitive for me.

Last edited:
Ok, so I've just tried the game again. And pumped the brakes before i went out of the pits, and much much better, I'm no longer frustrated by lock ups. I will still sometimes lock up a little, but am able to ease off and stop it, whereas before that probably wouldn't have been the case unless I'd almost lifted off entirely. And also now i notice sometimes i'll only lock up one wheel rather than before it was both without fail.

So thanks for the quick helpful responses guys

Is this just a little bug then that they still have to iron out? Or is is something to do with driving a real racing car, as i don't have experience driving one!

Ok, so I've just tried the game again. And pumped the brakes before i went out of the pits, and much much better, I'm no longer frustrated by lock ups. I will still sometimes lock up a little, but am able to ease off and stop it, whereas before that probably wouldn't have been the case unless I'd almost lifted off entirely. And also now i notice sometimes i'll only lock up one wheel rather than before it was both without fail.

So thanks for the quick helpful responses guys

Is this just a little bug then that they still have to iron out? Or is is something to do with driving a real racing car, as i don't have experience driving one!
It's calibration of your physical pedals. Happens mostly with Logitech, after you plug usb and power, you need to press a few times each pedal. Otherwise they might work as a switch (digital, on and off), instead of analog.

Use the ABS at Factory level. If the car was designed to be raced with ABS, you would be doing the opposite of sim racing by turning off that particular aid. ABS (and TC) is a real part of GT racing nowadays to the chagrin of traditionalists. Speed + Performance > "Purity of the experience".

Then again, I don't know if the 458 GT has ABS.

The Ferrari GT2 and the Formula Abarth are notorious for having ridiculously sensitive brakes. Try other cars of a similar category like the Corvettes to see that it is just something of a problem with that car in particular.

The brake gamma is what controls that if I'm not mistaken. When its set at 1, its a 1:1 ratio of input to response, higher settings are more sensitive.

I wouldn't mess with that much. For load cell is good when set to 1. It's a shame we still don't have brake pressure adjustment when it was present in older sims.

Lotus 49 is really a challenge when previously trying other cars.

In my view racing with ABS is as silly as TC, luckily F1 cars got rid of those aids.

The brake gamma is what controls that if I'm not mistaken. When its set at 1, its a 1:1 ratio of input to response, higher settings are more sensitive.

Gamma controls the brake response curve, it doesn't affect the maximum pedal force you get by pressing the pedal fully down unlike brake pressure.

Why is it that AC still doesn't offer this option in the setup menu? Does anyone know?

Regarding street cars, I might be wrong but I guess those cars don't have some brake pressure setting adjustable easily in real life.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't change steering rack ratio in car setup either? I have been getting around this by using two different presets in my Forza CSR wheel, but not everyone has that option. It's aggravating that the race cars and street cars have such a different ratio.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 185 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 363 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 505 39.0%