Lock to horizon ?

Kek700

Premium
i much prefer lock to horizon, but unfortunately the car chassis is not.
Not too bad on silverstone GP, but on Donington and Nurburgring, really annoying.
Is there anyway without using RHM i can lock chassis and head to horizon in “software”
i have set all in game motions to zero.

Good point, i am trying to maximise my FPS, with a stuggling CPU and GPU, I have
to already use a number of programs with online racing adding to more CPU GPU load.
I already get stutter during excessive cpu and gpu loading with the View in front juddering
which really gives me a lot of eye strain. I can still remember the 8 laps of constant
juddering on Nurburgring. ( unable to use fixed to horizon here )
With “fixed to horizon” and running highish FPS, when i do have stuttering it seems to be
kinder on the old eyeballs. But then i have to deal with a car with a wobbling chassis. WHY

I have already done that:thumbsup:, i am at the limit of good graphics quality and do not really want
to reduce it any more. Mainly, thanks to the information i have gleaned from these forums.
Just one note, got a good result in FPS Increase from dropping x4 and going to x2 and
turning on MFAA in Nvidia control panel. Maybe staring at a still image its not as good,
but when driving, it is near enough equal.

Advice appreciated:)

The problem is really Nvidia and their adoption of G-sync which becomes unrealistically £ prohibitive
when you have three monitors to buy and their lack of willingness to adopt free-sync.
And come to that AMD ‘s inability to produce a competitor for gtx 1080 with the now the stupid
price of more capable Nvidia’s graphics cards. If i had known i could keep my Gtx 980ti
and paid the extra for 3 G-sync monitors.
It is almost impossible for me to achieve a syncing of 144hz during online racing, which is
very noticeable during normal cockpit view. Locked to horizon at the moment is the best “ almost “ solution to this.
Who ever implemented a locked to horizon whilst sitting in a boat heaven knows, realistic, it is not.
Sorry about the rant.:mad:

Perhaps that just leaves RHM as the only way
out or I am just buggered.:laugh:
Funny that all my years of driving apart from off road my vehicle has never turned into a boat.
:geek:
I’m sure that there is a dollop of correctness
to what you say , but from my observation the
end result of this is not correct.
This means I have to create an extra resource
to put it right. A resource I cannot afford.
Which brings me back to moaning about Nvidia
again.:sleep:

Is rhm really taking any resources? I never really had a look at it but I don't think it gives any stress on modern CPUs. But I'll have a look next time..

And I'm absolutely with you! Lock to horizon is just weird as your horizon is completely stable and you see every little bump at the jumping around chassis.
Also it's extremely weird that lock to horizon fixes rotation too! Try the monza banking! Chassis 40° and your vision still flat.

In reality it's a mix! Your body absorbs quite a lot so your vision stays clear while the chassis is jumping. But not completely splitted! On big bumps your head still gets moved and the vision gets moved around a little.
Also when you're riding a cambered oval (monza), you're rotating with the car!

Real head motion fixes all this. You still rotate/tilt with the chassis and with the filtering at around 90% the Vision is moving a little while the chassis is moving more. Overall it looks a lot more real!!!

I didn't look at the new cm settings yet but I doubt that they are better on the cpu than real head motion.

Here's a video from me from another thread where you see the difference between lock to horizon and rhm for anyone who wonders:

That's very interesting, to see all three options in the same screen at once. I gave up on RHM quite a while ago as I didn't like the 'look to apex' sensation, but your centre RHM screen looks great.

Would you mind posting your settings, so I can try it out again? (I never really understood all the sliders, tbh).

That's very interesting, to see all three options in the same screen at once. I gave up on RHM quite a while ago as I didn't like the 'look to apex' sensation, but your centre RHM screen looks great.

Would you mind posting your settings, so I can try it out again? (I never really understood all the sliders, tbh).
And the explanations from the author are written in the most complicated way (while being technically 100% correct but... well).
Here are my settings. Really easy! They just filter the vibrations. Basically 90% "lock to horizon" but the rotation is still available. So only the chassis up/down and left/right movement gets filtered. If the car rotates like in the video, it will move with the chassis!

As you can see all sliders are set to "0.00". The "min" should be 0.00 too! The max.. doesn't matter :p
"Reality" would probably be at around 60%. The first two sliders!

upload_2018-10-30_14-43-55.png

@Kek700 I also love "lock to horizon" but i find the car shaking to be a no problem.
I'll be side stepping the problem here a bit but, lower FoV that fills your main screen with windshield should help, or at least move seat forward to see less of the car.

If you are using 144hz monitors without a frame limiter at lower framerate then the uneasy feeling might come from frame variance, not so much from lower framerate itself. I run my triples at 100fps (gtx1070, pretty much your level), heck even 85 could be fast enough.
And if you use v-sync, try turning it off and adjust frame limit frame by frame to minimize tearing, sometimes tinkering with exact framerates can help in reducing eye strain (by eliminating issues/frame variance/tearing etc).

Otherwise yeah, locking both car and horizon would need a serious hack to get working, so good luck with RHM~~

Try it on brands hatch at one point you have no instruments displayed next you are looking at
the steering column.

But first i really have become a moany old git. I have gone from 60 fps to a reasonable 104 fps.
so i cannot really complain too much. Or can i. :)

As previously described silverstone start line...
All programes running = 100 fps
Simxperence software off = 104 fps i usually keep this off any way and run
with an open wheel. May not be perfect but it is still a DD wheel.
Plus
Teamspeak off = 108 fps
Plus
Crew chief off = 109 fps but when activated looses 10 fps. = 100fps

So in reality the best i can hope for is 104fps on start line with no crew chief
activated.

I have just clocked my processor from 3.9ghz to 4.5ghz. I probably could easily go
higher but it is only going make 3 or 4 more fps. 3.9 to 4.5 made 3 or 4 more fps.

If you are using 144hz monitors without a frame limiter at lower framerate then the uneasy feeling might come from frame variance, not so much from lower framerate itself. I run my triples at 100fps (gtx1070, pretty much your level), heck even 85 could be fast enough.
And if you use v-sync, try turning it off and adjust frame limit frame by frame to minimize tearing,

This is what i am doing at the moment, the problem is that with the juddering from the normal
view, “you can easily see this in Rasmus video.”
then add onto this, as you say the inevitable variance in frame rate and then
occasional tearing. It makes an annoying image once you get fixed on the problem.
I used to run a wide 35” screen monitor, this easily ran at 144hz. Change to triples
has proved much harder to achieve 144.
The monitor wants 144hz to reproduce a clean image, but is just not getting this.
I have thought about frame limiting this to 72 so the monitor should always see
a full clean image, not really sure if this would work. The only problem is that it
defeats the object of buying 144hz monitors.

The fixed to horizon does go a long way into solving this particular problem. especially if i
can keep the frame rate high enough, which i am sort of achieving at the moment.

It really looks ike my only solution is a gtx1080ti or rtx2080. Its a lot of money to spend.
Then there is ACC to think about. :confused:
I will have to return to RHM and accept the hit, must admit i really liked it but just sort
of lost the will to live after having to start up all of the individual programes i use before
getting online.:sleep::sleep:
( just do not want to go down the CM route )

Kek700 said:
I will have to return to RHM and accept the hit, must admit i really liked it but just sort
of lost the will to live after having to start up all of the individual programes i use before
getting online.:sleep::sleep:
( just do not want to go down the CM route )

Don't want to get too off topic, but would definitely suggest you don't avoid CM just because its another app needing to be started up before racing. CM has so many incredible features that I simply cannot imagine ever starting up AC again without it. It really is the most comprehensive external utility I have ever seen, for any game.

Whats best for VR users ? Having the car bounce like LTH does is really weird in VR when your rl head sits still , it would work well for motion rigs . I have gone back to stock head movement for VR .

Final thoughts.......

To be quite honest I tried a fixed 72 hz and found it to be a reasonably acceptable smooth image. I then got it to run at the magic 144hz by reducing the AI to a couple of cars, It was slightly smoother.
if I had run it at 144hz then taken a very short brake and run it at 72 hz I would not really have
notice any difference.
I know I should not say that and pretend I can notice the difference between 144hz and 143hz
to help man myself up, but the truth is 72 hz is enough when coupled to RHM.
so I am going to do, as suggested to me and let it run naturally at 85 to 120 ish FPS and be
happy with that and forget about the replacement GPU until the prices arrive at something
resembling half sensible.
Found RHM to be very useful as it now loads itself via the Kunos Ui, I do loose about
3 or 4 FPS but it is well worth it.
I found that by putting pitch and roll to 80% gave a more realistic but not as irritating view.
In fact I now run with better picture image settings, i.e. Reflection, shadows and track detail
obviously loosing some FPS in exchange for a more satisfying image as I have now become
less conscious of FPS.
So now I get a reasonable 85 to 90 FPS on start grid with 24 AI and 100+ FPS whilst driving
in game. But the most important conclusion being, run as few Apps as you can get away with
whilst online racing or offline against a full field of AI. And to help with low FPS for whatever
reason use “Real head motion” to stop the eye strain from Assetto corsa fixed to car view or
compensate for the silly fixed to horizon setting.

5760x1080 , I5 clocked to 4.5Ghz , gtx980ti , tried to clock, but just did not like it, so gave up and went
for reliability.:)
If you have just dropped of to sleep:sleep::sleep: “ sorry “ :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 392 40.0%