LM24 | Corvette Withdraw From 2020 24 Hours of Le Mans

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Ending a 20 year unbroken record of participation, the factory Corvette Racing team have withdrawn from the 2020 edition of the Le Mans 24 Hours.

Having been on the grid continuously since the year 2000, should the rescheduled 24 hours of Le Mans take place this year, the distinctive yellow of Corvette will be sadly missing from the GTE grid come the green flag.

Hot on the heels of the announcement that the CORE Autosport IMSA Porsche squad are to withdraw their two car entry into the big race, the current GTE grid is now down to a disappointing seven confirmed runners - one of the weakest in recent Le Mans history.

U.S. Vice President of Chevrolet Performance, Jim Campbell announced the decision to withdraw Corvette from the marque race late on Monday evening.

“Corvette Racing has a long history of competing at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, so our decision to not participate in this historic race this year was not an easy one. Several factors played into our decision, including current conditions and the rescheduled timing. We’re proud Corvette Racing has been invited to the 24 Hours of Le Mans over the past 20 years and regret that we won’t be participating this year. We hope we have the opportunity to race at Le Mans again.”

With the removal of the Porsche and Corvette teams from the entry list for the race this September 19th, reserve squads Spirit of Race (GTE AM Ferrari 488), ByKolles (LMP1 CLM P1/01-Gibson), High Class Racing (LMP2 Oreca) and Proton Competition (Porsche 911 RSR GTE AM) are expected to be promoted to the main event should it be able to take place over the weekend of September 19th.

For more racing discussion, why not start a thread in the RaceDepartment Motorsport sub forum and get involved with your fellow community members?

Corvette Racing.jpg

Last edited:
There will be no 24 hours of Le Mans this year. No way so many spectators will be allowed to gather a the race track in this corona crisis.

If they are going to run the race without spectators it's not a real LM24. LM24 is a celebration of motorsport and there is nothing to celebrate at this moment in time.

Don't bother, move along and prepare for 2021.

Honestly, this entire race season is a write off. I think if anything does happen this season, it should be a series of showpiece races or an opportunity to try things this wouldn’t normally have any place in a championship season. Races that don’t count for championship points, but are just for entertainment... not like wreckfest type entertainment, but just something, different somehow.

My prediction is that more and more people now slowly will begin realising that most national and international sponsor and spectator driven events will not only be postponed to next year but will - if they are able to survive at all - need to find a complete new form.
A complete new form from what they had before this huge economical and health crisis.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: If we take LeMans 24H as example then what will happen if/when spectators do not (for one reason or another) want to travel much outside their own country? Just check up on the huge(!) decline in airline travel that almost overnight has happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
2020 is lost. All sports should be shut down until 2021,including F1.

The truly wild thing if that happens is we've already seen the last of Vettel in a Ferrari!

I think F1 will somehow grind out eight races to make a championship this year, even without spectators. Ross has said they can start as late as October and still get it done. I remain optimistic. Though I imagine some countries won't have an F1 race due to their disastrous response to covid.

Not gonna lie, after last year's race and how that all went down (as a huge corvette racing fan), I'm not sad to see them pull them out. The race isn't likely to run with just a handful of European teams left anyways I think. Wouldn't be shocked either if Riley Motorsports/Ben Keating and that whole gang of GTE AM class competitors follow in suite. (another big LOL after last year's 24 hours of the FIA race)

One of the reasons Im pretty pessimistic about the future of a lot of specially international sports and entertainments events - is that they have until now been based on unrealistic low prices of travelling and transporting around the world.

And eventhough its hard to realise then this completely unrealistic situation is almost overnight changed - probably for good.

But both the factual collapse of most known airline travel companies (and later airline industries) and upon that the impact of a future forced sustainable payment for the CO2 "polution" of our atmosphere - then my guess is that most international events that can find a virtual replacement will be forced to do that.
But ofcourse on a much more professional and organised way than now.:sneaky:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 88 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 72 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 44 6.3%
  • < 5 years