AC Live Stream: WEC Multiclass @ Spa OSRW - Sat 05May18

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Thanks all for the great experience yesterday. What an adrenaline rush, especially with those LMP's flying by - nearly got a heart attack a couple of times :O_o:
I'm just glad, I could make it to the finish line. But seeing you guys fighting for the podium even after 90min is a pure joy (thanks twitch).

Btw: Is there a better way to let the LMP's pass at "Les Combes" and "Bruxelles" than by just holding my racing line? I think it annoyed them, that I made them lose to much time because it is so hard to overtake there. Same story for the following fast lefthander "Pouhon"

See you next time
There is absolutely no other way than simply sticking to a predictable racing line.
When you close in to a GTE car in a LMP1 and the GTE car you have already a plan where it will be best to overtake that GTE car a you know were the best racing line for the GTE car is going to be.
You commit pretty early on and the extreme differences in acceleration, corner speeds and limited visibility make it very, very hard to react on last second changes of line or - the absolute worst - a friendly GTE racer trying to slow down in a sequence of corners in order to "let someone pass".

These type of situations are very dangerous.
Simply stick to your racing line, coming out of corners stay predictable and stay to a logical side of the track (DO NOT try to drive exactly in the middle of the track in order to "leave options" for the LMP1 driver to pass left or right).

I have seen this during this race as well that GTE drivers would not know what to do best and thought it might be helpful to drive exactly in the center of the road, leaving options. This makes overtaking in some situations VERY close calls.

During the race in one occasion it happened just that - a GTE driver right in the center of the track, giving way left and right, I took the right side (very little margin for error not to have contact and not to go off track) but at the very same time another LMP1 driver saw the gap on the LEFT side of that GTE car resulting in a three wide close call situation that could be prevented.

It's that thing of what a commentator sees. Sometimes it looks different to how it is. :( I try my best! :p
Joseph I know how to find the stream in order to watch it but I find it takes way to much clicking and digging to get there.
I think your stream should be a one click affair right on the home page so it will find more viewers as it is always great to watch.

oseph I know how to find the stream in order to watch it but I find it takes way to much clicking and digging to get there.
I think your stream should be a one click affair right on the home page so it will find more viewers as it is always great to watch.
Well that would be something to mention to @Bram Hengeveld ;) A number of our events get promoted through a pop up on the site when we are live :)

@Dirk Steffen thanks for the detailed explanation. Then I did it correctly and with the most "simple" way by just sticking to my racing line like there are (nearly) no LMPs at all? That's what I tried during the race. Most dangerous situations occurred if I were doing mistakes (eg. late-breaking) because I am a bloody rookie and couldn't do it any better. I am sorry for that

The idea to pin a direct link to the stream sounds very nice. I also struggled to find the steam the first time i was looking for it (GT3 @ Monza)

@Henri Sinik great video, it's nice to overlay the stream with the driver point of view.
On my side it has been a pretty good race managing the GT field, of course some "moments" occurred, nothing dramatic but eventually we're not professional drivers and some misunderstandings are understandable.
Eventually when an incident between LMP1 and GT occurs, between the 2 the one that can avoid it is the prototype behind, lifting or braking, yesterday I preferred to lose even 5 secs in some laps rather than risking incidents, some issues were while overtaking @lionofjudah72 , he had high ping and was warping around, I advised him several times with teamspeak but it seemed he was not earing us.
Grats to both podiums, the race in both classes looked awesome also thanks to the great commentary from @Joseph Wright and last, but not least, thanks to @Bobby Pennington and @Celtic Pharaoh for the organisation.

We had some discussion with some of the guys after the race about being smart/fast in traffic and I was thinking of maybe making a Multiclass 101 video, but I'm too lazy to make it, so i decided to write something here. I'm not perfect with this either and have a lot to learn, but i thought it would be good to share what I've learned so far. I'll maybe write a longer one and later may be put it to 'Paddock club' including some tips to the GT guys aswell with some additional video clips. There TLDR at the bottom.

CAR SETUP LMP

First of all you wanna get really comfortable with your setup, you want it to be stable and predictable. There's a lot of moments in the race when you'll be off the ideal racing line so then you need the car to not kill you instantly when trying to switch-up your lines when approaching a slower car. I usually practice driving weird lines when i'm making my setup to be sure the car behaves correctly and there's no weird 'snaps'.
But the tricky part is to still keep the car fast enough raw pace-wise 'cause at the early parts of the race when the gt-class is still bunched up and there's not a lot of traffic going on, it's the best time to try and go fast and create a gap.

RaceCraft LMP

So the qualifying is done and you're in the grid. What now ? For me, the first 10 laps or so are most crucial part of the race.
There's not a lot of traffic going on and you'll be fighting for track position as hard you can.
Not too hard tho' Remember its a long race(Multiclass usually is :p), so there's no need to rush anything.
But, at the early parts of the race you wanna try to create the biggest gap you can to the guys behind you whilst keeping up with the guys in front to try and pressure them, before the traffic eventually comes.
So why the early parts of the race are so crucial ? When you have gap behind you, you don't have to focus behind and worry about them making a move on you whilst lapping
which allows you to focus in the cars ahead and try to take advantage
on slower cars slowing down your opponents. And if you're somehow first, then you can just grow the gap behind, focusing on being efficient and maybe relax a little.

Like you've probably heard before: Patience is key. But being patient doesn't necessarily mean being slow. Remember that. If you know you don't have the time and space to pass a car before a corner:
Take your time, ease off the throttle, Increase your braking distance(You will regenerate more energy if you're braking longer), Start to think at the corner
and how you're gonna take it efficiently and which line you're gonna take. That line part, its crucial,
You never wanna follow the trail of the car in front(through the whole corner) and the late apex is your best friend.
You always wanna keep it tight after the apex, cause the slower car takes the ideal line(in a perfect world) and drifts wide on the exit leaving room on the
inside, where you wanna go. I always try to start turning into the apex when the slower car hits its apex and just when car in front leaves enough room at the apex
you wanna shoot out of the corner as fast you can, which is the safest and fastest way. Try to think where the gt car is going and go where its not. Ex. @Pouhon you the gt car will try to hit the left-side kerb
on the second part of the corner, so when the gt car starts go drift towards it , then is you're time pass on the outside

(Thanks to @Buster, for realizing what was gonna happen and lifting to allowing us to not crash)

Scary usually equals slow, but some times things go closer/scarier than you would like to, and then you need to do these things: COMMIT AND BE PREDICTABLE! I cannot stress this enough,
nothing will piss off a gt car more than a half-assed move just before the corner and
going awkwardly through the corner side by side, whilst you both losing a ****-ton of time and nobody knowing whats going on.
If you're starting to realise you may not get to the corner before the gt car safely, then either you slow down
or you take the inside line early, while flashing your lights(maybe warning him through TS). If you do those thing, you'll maximise the chances of both you getting through safely,
because then the gt car will have time to react appropriately.

Racing in traffic is difficult and takes a lot of time to master. But if you try to be a bit smarter with, you'll start to realise that you can be faster and at the same time be safer(which I learned after Nurburgring).
Both sides will benefit if the guys in the LMP's know what they're doing.

TLDR;
-Scary -> Slow
-Late apex is your best friend
-Commit and be predictable
-Setup the car to be stable and predictable
-Practice
-Safe -> Fast
-Be Smart !

Last edited:
We had some discussion with some of the guys after the race about being smart/fast in traffic and I was thinking of maybe making a Multiclass 101 video, but I'm too lazy to make it, so i decided to write something here. I'm not perfect with this either and have a lot to learn, but i thought it would be good to share what I've learned so far. I'll maybe write a longer one and later may be put it to 'Paddock club' including some tips to the GT guys aswell with some additional video clips. There TLDR at the bottom.

CAR SETUP LMP

First of all you wanna get really comfortable with your setup, you want it to be stable and predictable. There's a lot of moments in the race when you'll off the ideal racing line so then need the car to not kill you instantly when trying to switch-up your lines when approaching a slower car. I usually practice driving wierd lines when i'm making my setup to be sure the car behaves correctly and there's no wierd 'snaps'.
But the tricky part is to still keep the car fast enough raw pace-wise 'cause at the early parts of the race
when the gt-class is still bunched up and there's not a lot of traffic going on, so then is the best time to try and go fast and
create a gap.

RaceCraft LMP

So the qualifying is done and you're in the grid. What now ? For me, the first 10 laps or so are most crucial part of the race.
There's not a lot of traffic going on and you'll be fighting for track position as hard you can.
Not too hard tho' Remember its a long race(Multiclass usually is :p), so there's no need to rush anything.
But, at the early parts of the race you wanna try to create the biggest gap you can to the guys behind you whilst keeping up with the guys in front to try and pressure them, before the traffic eventually comes.
So why the early parts of the race are so crucial ? When you have gap behind you, you don't have to focus behind and worry about them making a move on you whilst lapping
which allows you to focus in the cars ahead and try to take advantage
on slower cars slowing down your opponents. And if you're somehow first, then you can just grow the gap behind, focusing on being efficient and maybe relax a little.

Like you've probably heard before: Patience is key. But being patient doesn't necessarily mean being slow. Remember that. If you know you don't have the time and space to pass a car before a corner:
Take your time, ease off the throttle, Increase your braking distance(You will regenerate more energy if you're braking longer), Start to think at the corner
and how you're gonna take it efficiently and which line you're gonna take. That line part, its crucial,
You never wanna follow the trail of the car in front(through the whole corner) and the late apex is your best friend.
You always wanna keep it tight after the apex, cause the slower which takes the ideal line(in a perfect world) and drifts wide leaves room on the
inside, where you wanna go. I always try to start turning into the apex when the slower car hits its apex and just when car in front leaves enough room at the apex
you wanna shoot out of the corner as fast you can, which is the safest and fastest way. Try to think where the gt car is going and go where its not. Ex. @Pouhon you the gt car will try to hit the left-side kerb
on the second part of the corner, so when the gt car starts go drift towards it , then is you're time pass on the outside

(Thanks to @Buster, for realizing what was gonna happen and lifting to allowing us to not crash)

Scary usually equals slow, but some times things go closer/scarier than you would like to, and then you need to do these things: COMMIT AND BE PREDICTABLE! I cannot stress this enough,
nothing will piss off a gt car more than a half-assed move just before the corner and
going awkwardly through the corner side by side, whilst you both losing a ****-ton of time and nobody knowing whats going on.
If you're starting to realise you may not get to the corner before the gt car safely, then either you slow down
or you take the inside line early, while flashing your lights(maybe warning him through TS). If you do those thing, you'll maximise the chances of both you getting through safely,
because then the gt car will have time to react appropriately.

Racing in traffic is difficult and takes a lot of time to master. But if you try to be a bit smarter with, you'll start to realise that you can be faster and at the same time be safer(which I learned after Nurburgring).
Both sides will benefit if the guys in the LMP's know what they're doing.

TLDR;
-Scary -> Slow
-Late apex is your best friend
-Commit and be predictable
-Setup the car to be stable and predictable
-Practice
-Safe -> Fast
-Be Smart !

PS. I publicly apologize for the TS comments during the race. It's a gentleman racing club and those things shouldn't happen. Like most of know I'm a genuinely nice guy(at least most of the time), but sometimes i get into the 'Red mist' and have a momentary melt-down, which shouldn't come to your hearing.
Thank you for the post Count:thumbsup: Good info. I appreciate the apology as well. Keep working on it;) Age takes care of a lot of it.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 39.8%