LIVE STREAM: RaceRoom New GT3's and Developer Interview - 14:30 GMT Today!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
R3E Live Stream Talk and Drive Test.jpg

Join us on Twitch at 14:30 GMT as we do a live 'talk and drive' Interview with Sector3 Studios, driving the upcoming new GT3 content!

Later today we will be spending time with the yet to be released new GT3 cars of RaceRoom Racing Experience, taking to the track with the Audi R8 LMS, the Mercedes AMG GT3 of course the stunning Callaway Corvette C7 GT3 R around the sweeping turns of the Silverstone Grand Prix circuit. Adding some spice to the occasion we will also be interviewing the man behind the new physics model as we look to learn everything we can about these three exciting new GT3 physics and cars, set to be made available to purchase in the public build of the simulation in the very near future.

Alex Hodgkinson is a new recruit to Sector3 Studios and has already had a considerable impact on the way the cars behave in game, using his considerable knowledge to good effect as he worked with the team to develop the new GT3 physics model that players will be able to experience when the big update is released in the near future.

If you want to check out what is happening in the stream and get a first opportunity to see these cars on track and driven in anger, then you can catch all the live stream action from 14:30 GMT on our Twitch TV channel from 14:30 UK...

RE-LIVE the stream now!

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available exclusively to PC on a free to play platform with additional content available at a further cost.

Love RaceRoom? Want to share the excitement with your fellow community members? No worries, we have all this and more at the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum right here at RaceDepartment:
Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Have you enjoyed our live stream? Looking forward to check out the new cars for yourself? Learn anything interesting or new from our chat? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Paul don't really have a clue on car setups so I took some notes on Alex's comments and sharing if it helps anyone :)
Look forward to the new content, day one buy for me and thanks Paul and Alex, really great listening!
------- when car is understeering -------
soften front ARB
take bit of wing off back
soften front dampers
turn down TC (as suggested by Georg Ortner)
------- For general setup changes look at chassis -------
more turn in then use trail braking which in itself is like a setup tweak
soften off bump damping
stiffen rebound
soften front springs
camber - find a sweet spot - up or down a click or 2-3 clicks.
lower front ride height so centre of gravity sits further forwards
Differential preload
- Differential - how much of a wheel speed difference tires ask for before they're allowed to have it
- preload at max might have to go around a really tight turn before there is any wheel spin difference.
- preload at min you might be able to have wheel spin difference in a very big sweeping turn
- until that point you've got a solid axle, so cars with a limited slip differential are basically like a go-kart on the rear up to a point as they have a solid rear axle until whatever your preload setting is comes into effect
Use traction control at 1 or 2% as a balance tweak.
Some GTE cars run stability control.

Last edited:
Because they are not in fact the same company, hence the different name. Also, they won't be just copy/pasting R3E content into GTR3 because there's no way RaceRoom will allow them to do that.

But hey, let's go completely off-topic so that we can complain about something instead of looking forward to what will be an excellent update, shall we? :rolleyes:
Its not off topic, its a question many R3E have regarding the fact GTR3 is on the roll.

That's not what was said in the stream, though :)
Alex listed some changes towards the end of the stream. I listened to the YouTube version, will go back and listen to the original then. Basic point was don't be hesitant to use traction control I think. I know in AC that a TC range of 1-11 means 1 is highest. Not sure if it's the same in R3E. And to be honest brake bias to front/rear often confuses me as well, in all sims is 55/45 bias 55 to the rear? At least that's what I've always assumed. Anyway when I see or hear of changes I usually try and note them. Have been watching Nicki Thiim sometimes in iR (don't play that myself) quickly go to settings and tweak things, wish I understood it all.. :unsure:

And the RUF with manual sequential that Alex noted, does that mean to simulate correctly you should be using a separate shifter in sequential mode. Which with a TH8A means swapping out the face plate, can't be bothered though :whistling:

Alex listed some changes towards the end of the stream. I listened to the YouTube version, will go back and listen to the original then. Basic point was don't be hesitant to use traction control I think. I know in AC that a TC range of 1-11 means 1 is highest. Not sure if it's the same in R3E. And to be honest brake bias to front/rear often confuses me as well, in all sims is 55/45 bias 55 to the rear? At least that's what I've always assumed. Anyway when I see or hear of changes I usually try and note them. Have been watching Nicki Thiim sometimes in iR (don't play that myself) quickly go to settings and tweak things, wish I understood it all.. :unsure:

And the RUF with manual sequential that Alex noted, does that mean to simulate correctly you should be using a separate shifter in sequential mode. Which with a TH8A means swapping out the face plate, can't be bothered though :whistling:
normally when I say 55/45 I mean 55 on the front, and as far as I know everyone that talks with me has the same idea...
For Camaro I used TC from 18 to 35% depending on track, it's precentage so higher means more TC

normally when I say 55/45 I mean 55 on the front, and as far as I know everyone that talks with me has the same idea...
For Camaro I used TC from 18 to 35% depending on track, it's percentage so higher means more TC

Yes the bog standard brake balance in some car setups is about 60/40. So 60% of the braking effort is going to the front wheels. Because of course you want to lock up fronts more than rears. Then you adjust rearward until you are happy. Or if you are really into it, you can adjust the brake balance corner by corner like they do in F1, LMP1, etc.

If a car has traction control I tend to use it, might not help so much from a performance point of view but it certainly helps when the tyres start to wear and you may need that slight safety net to help with handling. As you mention the higher the percentage the more the traction control kicks in. I'm usually fairly low like yourself. I have pre-sets of about 5%, 10%, 15%, 25%, 35% and then I play around whilst driving to see what feels best.

Yes the bog standard brake balance in some car setups is about 60/40. So 60% of the braking effort is going to the front wheels. Because of course you want to lock up fronts more than rears. Then you adjust rearward until you are happy. Or if you are really into it, you can adjust the brake balance corner by corner like they do in F1, LMP1, etc.

If a car has traction control I tend to use it, might not help so much from a performance point of view but it certainly helps when the tyres start to wear and you may need that slight safety net to help with handling. As you mention the higher the percentage the more the traction control kicks in. I'm usually fairly low like yourself. I have pre-sets of about 5%, 10%, 15%, 25%, 35% and then I play around whilst driving to see what feels best.
Okay so bias 60/40 is 60 to front, always wondered but never really knew ;) Martin must be correct on what Alex stated so the 1-2% TC I noted must be wrong, I don't recall how its implemented in R3E, will have to check and test. In R3E a higher value of TC is I assume more where as in AC as far as I'm aware value 1 would be the highest?

TC is done on a level of 1- 6 and you can decide in the set up section what percentage each one is, if the default values are not to your liking
Ah yes sorry I forgot that R3E has the TC presets in settings using percentages which you then specify using a single digit value in the car. Where as in AC it's just a single digit value, no presets behind it I don't think and where 1 is the highest value.

I've been in AC mostly since I got a shifter. Got the rF2 GT3 pack at the weekend (had been waiting for the AMG for R3E) the AMG looks and sounds good especially in the DX11 beta. And then just after I bought the pack for rF2 Sector3 release the promo videos for the Corvette, R8 and AMG to be released this week. Oh I wish we could have Sebring, Road Atlanta and Le Mans in R3E and I'd be set. I'll anyway be in R3E this week trying out the new cars and the updated GT3 pack which I already own. Must remember to get VRP from the site first as it's cheaper I'm told, Sim Racing Revolution on YouTube mentioned it too. Although with the amount of content I already own there's usually some kind of discount anyway.

Yeah, in R3E the TC is set by percentage of intervention in 6 presets. Default setting is always the first one, which on all cars except the FR-X 17 is the lowest one - on the FR-X 17, the TC presets are backwards, meaning the first, default one is the highest.

The specific percentages for each of the presets vary by car (some even have 0 % as the default preset) and you can tweak each of them to your liking as part of the car's setup.

Personally, I tend to use around 10-20 % max on most cars except maybe the FR-X ;) I never really agreed with people who always turn TC down, claiming it's just an artificial crutch - if the car has it IRL, you can be sure they're using it, but on the other hand, I still prefer to keep it fairly low.

I turn it off in most cars not because I think it makes me a pro, but just because I find it more fun to drive that way. I like having to manage things myself so generally run without TC or ABS. Of course there are exceptions, like the FR X-17s and the P1s. I wouldn't call it a crutch though... the fastest guys in the RDGTC were all using TC as high as 30%-35%. And why not, if it's there? :thumbsup:

It's kinda the "serious simracer" mindset that you have to make the driving as hard as possible for yourself if you want to be taken seriously, so obviously TC off, because that's an artificial assist that only bad drivers use. I tend to see that quite often. But it seems like it might be starting to go away, finally.

It's kinda the "serious simracer" mindset that you have to make the driving as hard as possible for yourself if you want to be taken seriously, so obviously TC off, because that's an artificial assist that only bad drivers use.
Haha, so true! Nevermind that a lot of the real cars have these aids, right? The guys that drive them for real are nothing but scumbag rookies. :D

Personally I didn't see any of the serious sim racer syndrome, especially about tc. I found more anything that makes me faster is good... At least for me
To me depends.. TC and ABS are fine in any car, people that need them will actually go slower if they dont know how to make use of it, but I joined a few open servers that had stability control assist and was pretty ridiculous to see people that are in your pace going 2 seconds faster because of it, and then it become no fun to have to use it

RRe has always felt like it has a hidden Stability control on their cars. Just seems easier on the edge, might be realistic might not. But I prefer rf2, AC and AMS on the edge feeling and risk taking.

RRe has always felt like it has a hidden Stability control on their cars. Just seems easier on the edge, might be realistic might not. But I prefer rf2, AC and AMS on the edge feeling and risk taking.
It's kinda the "serious simracer" mindset that you have to make the driving as hard as possible for yourself if you want to be taken seriously, so obviously TC off, because that's an artificial assist that only bad drivers use. I tend to see that quite often. But it seems like it might be starting to go away, finally.
Yeah!! Im waiting for the sim that we only have to steer the cars. And it would be even better if that would also go automatic so we only have to watch the screen. Saves a lot of money on those high tech cockpits we build.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 133 13.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 95 9.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 71 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 141 13.9%