Live for Speed: Westhill Graphics Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
LFS Update 1.jpg

Live for Speed continues to receive development goodies behind the scenes - as the latest Westhill graphic updates recently revealed show off in impressive style.

Despite a game that is certainly leaning more towards the geriatric side of the scale than fresh and new, Live for Speed continues to be a popular and well regarding racing simulation amongst the sim racing community. With little in the way of development having happened in recently years, many would be forgiven for thinking this golden oldie had been consigned to the scrap heap - those folks would be mistaken!

Having been in development behind the scenes for quite some time, the Live for Speed development team continue to work hard at improving and developing the simulation to more modern standards - not least of which is the graphical overhaul the title is slowly but surely looking to undertake. In recent months, we've seen plenty of preview images from the various racing venues within the software, the most recent of which is the Westhill racetrack - looking resplendent thanks to texture updates that take advantage of the new lighting system, new 3D kerbs and various scenery updates around the track.

Release date for the latest update remains unconfirmed.

Live for Speed is available exclusively to PC.

LFS Update 5.jpg LFS Update 6.jpg LFS Update 7.jpg LFS Update 4.jpg LFS Update 3.jpg LFS Update 2.jpg

Check out the Live for Speed sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest Live for Speed news and discussions.

Like what you see here at RD? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
You say its popular, but apart from seeing it here on the front page on the forums,
I cant even remember at all in my mind 1 single person commenting on it, or even playing on the game,
maybe around 4-5 years ago yes,

none the less I love the natural look of this game always did, the lighting and textures always look very realistic, its the lack of official cars and content I think holding this game back. :)

I used to play this game religiously back in the day(maybe not that long ago) and rFactor 1. In multiplayer there was always a first turn crash in pretty much every session. The drivers that survived that crash were usually pretty good at being fair during the rest of the race. I always had lots of fun playing this game for hours. Back then I had a logitech G25 and now I have a Simsteering V2 with Husinkveld Ultimate pedals. I may give it a try once more.

I don't own this game, but used to play the demo, or maybe a crack version (shame on me). I would have been more involved with more interesting cars (and bought it for sure), for me at this time. The tracks were interesting though. I was into GTs at this time (GTR1 and GTR2) and wasn't interested in anything else, how stupid I was ;).

What I remember was the natural feel in the FFB (I was using a Driving force GT at this time, great wheel and incredibly reliable) and of the cars.

This sim still has potential, something must be done to create a new hype

[Off Topic]
For anyone interested, Invictus, Cross Racing Championship from 2004 makes a return on steam.
Now with Mod support and new builds.

Cross Racing Championship Extreme.

http://invictus.com/content/cross-racing-championship-21/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/925550/Cross_Racing_Championship_Extreme/

Modding Tools for CRC
https://store.steampowered.com/app/980000/Modding_tools_for_Cross_Racing_Championship_Extreme/
A really great game (is it not from 2005?). Did they solved the direct x issues for more recent systems? Invictus had an amazing engine at this time, they got out of the racing business unfortunately (although even their next titles LA street racing, and the free racing mmorpg, were fun). CRC was an amazing title, a must have.

Anyone who has built a custom DIY motion platform using SimTools as their software of choice uses this title's demo as their (free) means of testing out the work they've done.

For that reason alone, thinking of LFS brings back fond memories of first seeing my DIY 2dof seat-mover spring to life in an actual game, and for that it will always have a place dear to my heart.

Once these graphical updates are finished, proven to add some polish & finally released into the wild I may just buy the entire game. :thumbsup:

• Deleted member 379375

Nice update, always enjoyed

rF2 does all that and you can swap vehicles in garage ;)

That's good to know, I do install it from time to time. Usually after some update that gets super hyped only to find I'm underwhelmed again.I think the bad start they got off to has imprinted itself on my brain. For me i'ts become one of those games I want to like but it just doesn't do it for me. I'll keep giving it a go from time to time. :)

That's good to know, I do install it from time to time. Usually after some update that gets super hyped only to find I'm underwhelmed again.I think the bad start they got off to has imprinted itself on my brain. For me i'ts become one of those games I want to like but it just doesn't do it for me. I'll keep giving it a go from time to time. :)
I was just looking on there website a while,
this track update looks very impressive, looks so fresh they did a fantastic job with it,
was almost tempted to download it again,
but looked over the cars and the selection they have, there is just no current cars what they offer, nothing I found exciting anyways, even with 1000 of the best tracks in the world, needs to be balanced with some modern GT and Formula content, even some modern track day cars be cool anything really. :)

A really great game (is it not from 2005?). Did they solved the direct x issues for more recent systems? Invictus had an amazing engine at this time, they got out of the racing business unfortunately (although even their next titles LA street racing, and the free racing mmorpg, were fun). CRC was an amazing title, a must have.

Yes! (About CRC) It was rereleased on Steam recently and I finished once again:] and Devs said that they would try to implement online multiplayer if there was interest, but it isn't happening I think.

Too little, too late. If they had done more work on the UI and would have had some more real-world licenses it could have been an epic sim. But the devs gave up just before the sim-hype started to get to really take off.
I guess they feel like people who sold all their bitcoins when they were still 100 euros. Now you need a big studio and much more cash to come even close to what other companies on the simmarket produce.
Still a fun title for about half an hour.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 85 13.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 60 9.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 67 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 92 14.0%