Live for Speed: Westhill Graphics Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
LFS Update 1.jpg

Live for Speed continues to receive development goodies behind the scenes - as the latest Westhill graphic updates recently revealed show off in impressive style.

Despite a game that is certainly leaning more towards the geriatric side of the scale than fresh and new, Live for Speed continues to be a popular and well regarding racing simulation amongst the sim racing community. With little in the way of development having happened in recently years, many would be forgiven for thinking this golden oldie had been consigned to the scrap heap - those folks would be mistaken!

Having been in development behind the scenes for quite some time, the Live for Speed development team continue to work hard at improving and developing the simulation to more modern standards - not least of which is the graphical overhaul the title is slowly but surely looking to undertake. In recent months, we've seen plenty of preview images from the various racing venues within the software, the most recent of which is the Westhill racetrack - looking resplendent thanks to texture updates that take advantage of the new lighting system, new 3D kerbs and various scenery updates around the track.

Release date for the latest update remains unconfirmed.

Live for Speed is available exclusively to PC.

LFS Update 5.jpg LFS Update 6.jpg LFS Update 7.jpg LFS Update 4.jpg LFS Update 3.jpg LFS Update 2.jpg

Check out the Live for Speed sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest Live for Speed news and discussions.

Like what you see here at RD? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
I can remember that when I saw Gamermuscles hilarious video where he via a LFS patch was able to drive using his newly accuired Oculus Rift - I was wondering if I should buy LFS.
But my question here is:
How is the car behavouring(TM).
Is it comparabel to Raceroom or rF2?
As can be seen I dont know but I think I have read that the LFS cars are drifting too much!!!:)

I tried it again a few weeks ago after many years. The FF didn't felt great. Standing still there was no damper to make the wheel hard to turn, and while driving it always felt off. Last I drove it I was on a G25, so I dont know.

Live for speed is still alive ? Not just alive but kickin pretty hard I see. :)
Omg, it's been such a long time. Long good times. Not even sure do I still have it on my hard drive, I better check it.
But my question here is:
Can't say for RR but it's quite comparable to rFactor physics behaviour.
Feels damn good, pretty brutal and very realistic. You need to practice.
A lot.
But it's best to check by yourself, LFS isn't quite expensive, right ? :)

You know what it's like? It's like when you are a little kid in kindergarten and you get all settled into the school year and then one day you peek into the door adjacent to your classroom..."who are those kids?"

"Oh, that's the other kindergarten class"

"Other kindergarten class? I didn't even know that was a thing!"

Thanks.:thumbsup:
I just downloaded the install.
The file will run like a demo until I buy one of the licences(£12 - £36).
Checked the car roster and it doesnt look so bad.;)
Mostly same type of cars as Raceroom (= missing classic/historic racecars).:rolleyes:
Looks like Raceroom will get some tuff competition on my HD.:whistling:

EDIT: Just a question. Is it possible to paint your own car - and get the paint into the game? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I can remember that when I saw Gamermuscles hilarious video where he via a LFS patch was able to drive using his newly accuired Oculus Rift - I was wondering if I should buy LFS.
But my question here is:
As can be seen I dont know but I think I have read that the LFS cars are drifting too much!!!:)
Car behaviour is probably tied with Netkar Pro for the most natural or slightly ahead of Netkar Pro. You can push cars hard and play and manipulate the limits extremely naturally. Adjusting wheelsping and slip-angle during slip is, like Netkar Pro, very natural and intuitive and so is the inertia. No need to obsess over perfect FFB settings, a high-end wheel, or anything. You just drive and correct the car intuitively.

Some cars do have a tenancy to be drifty but, unlike most sims, the drifting is extremely natural and intuitive. You can tune the drifting out and have a tighter car though.

When you understeer, the car still grips like real life rather than seeming as if your car has been lifted off the ground and lost 90% of grip. Like real life, low grip does not neccessarily have to mean slow, sloppy handling and grip transitions unlike some sims where low grip and/or soft cars make everything feel sloppy like you're driving a water-bed.

Lower speed corners require you, like real life, to use more steering lock and really lean on the tyres. You don't get the sensation of an open wheeler wanting to loose grip at a pathetic 70 Km/h with only 20% braking and 30 degrees of steering lock like in some other sims.

You need to turn the steering wheel / tyres to lean on them to get cars to turn (obviously more advanced users can help this process with good trailbraking technique). This is in contrast to many sims with seeming grip, combustion engine/torque, and inertia issues where you can get around corners barely using the steering wheel but rather just by pressing the brake and letting the car turn direction as if inertia doesn't exist and as if the car is rotating around it's nose rather than it's rear (picture a giant imaginary hand coming down and turning your car sharper and sharper into a corner just because you apply a bit of braking and steering - completely unrealistic and odd behaviour like this doesn't really exist in LFS nor NKP unlike many other sims' physics engines).

That's not to say LFSs perfect or anything. Far from it (like all sims). You can argue that some cars may be too forgiving during oversteer but, for me, I can tolerate that as long as the oversteer - regardless how forgiving or unforgiving - behaves naturally. Like in Netkar Pro, you can still definitely spin in a low or medium powered open-wheel car without good car control skills so please don't confuse "more forgiving" with "arcadey" or "sim-cadey" neither of which apply here.

Also, sometimes FFB and overall physics can feel maybe not as alive and raw as maybe they should. Some people say this is just because of relatively smooth tracks but I think it also may be due to the physics not being as dynamic as other sims. I haven't messed around with setups a lot in LFS so I don't know if this is just a car setup thing or actually a physics engine thing,

Finally, sometimes I feel like I can turn the wheel a lot in long, sweeping corners almost like the car is content with a little too much steering lock during fast corners. Again, though, I haven't looked into this enough to see if it's a car issue, setup issue, or if it actually is something regarding the physics engine.

I think there is at least one open-wheel car in the free Demo. Play around with it, play around with the setup and see if you like it. In the end, you have to decide how you like driving each sim as each sims' cars behave and feel different from each other.

Last edited:
.. odd behaviour like this doesn't really exist in LFS nor NKP unlike many other sims' physics engines).
Thank you very much Spinelli for this thoughtfull "review".
Actually allready when you mentioned Netkar Pro I was completely sold.
Because eventhough I today consider my favorites rF2 and Raceroom as having a somewhat "realistic" car behaviour (somewhat!:roflmao:) then my alltime "realistic sim" favorite is exactly Netkar Pro.:thumbsup:
But because NkP tracks and cars are rather outdated I havent started it up the last 5 years(hehe at least :thumbsdown:).
So because of you Spinelli Im even more excited to check LfS out.
Thank you.:)

I just installed the LFS "demo".:)
And I have to say that the little front driven car in the training mode is very funny to drive - but because there is no kinda "instant" reaction to your input then I feel that the car is "wobbling" very sluggish around on the track.
Its the same when as example the car goes over a curb then there is too much lag/delay before the car shows a reaction.
And the reaction is mostly too sluggish and (sorry) arcadish(IMO):sleep:
This kind of "delay" is the same as my main critical point against ACC.:thumbsdown:
Any connection between ones wheel and sight(screen) and what the car is doing is (for me) almost lost.:notworthy:

But now I will use some more hours to play a little more with this game before I figure out if I should buy a licence.
People who say that the car(s) in LFS is rather drifty are completely right - CatsAreTheWorstDogs.:laugh:
Sliding the car sideways there is not really the Point of No Return as in most other racing games.:whistling:

Latest: Im close to giving up on this game.:mad:
I tried the BMW formula car and its impossible to shift UP without lifting the throttle.
Normally there could be a problem with fast downshifts - hehe but I have never experienced this with upshifts.:rolleyes:
Its pretty ridiculous because the other 2 free cars have absolutely no problems with this.
So Im giving up for now - eventhough the BMW formula car behaviour is a lot more "instant" than the other 2.
If there isnt a solution for this then there is no reason for me to use money on a licence.:cool:

EDIT: OK it looks like this issue is something very mandatory they are proud of in the LFS forum - so I will uninstall LFS instead of being constantly irritated with it.:cautious:
Hehe back to Raceroom.:laugh:

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/74114-Formula-BMW-is-not-shifting?
Formula BMW is not shifting?

Latest: Im close to giving up on this game.:mad:
I tried the BMW formula car and its impossible to shift UP without lifting the throttle.
Normally there could be a problem with fast downshifts - hehe but I have never experienced this with upshifts.:rolleyes:
Its pretty ridiculous because the other 2 free cars have absolutely no problems with this.
So Im giving up for now - eventhough the BMW formula car behaviour is a lot more "instant" than the other 2.
If there isnt a solution for this then there is no reason for me to use money on a licence.:cool:

EDIT: OK it looks like this issue is something very mandatory they are proud of in the LFS forum - so I will uninstall LFS instead of being constantly irritated with it.:cautious:
Hehe back to Raceroom.:laugh:

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/74114-Formula-BMW-is-not-shifting?
Formula BMW is not shifting?
I was sat here earlier at my laptop thinking about all the sims and what they offer everyone,
and to be honest I could not take away RaceRoom as been the number 1 sim outhere,
they offer a vast amount of tracks,
in which by the way you dont have to kill someone to buy them like iracing,
they are always updating the content with fresh new cars and liveries,
and the graphics are wonderful, there track textures are glorious always have been,
although I like the LFS natural style, RR just looks as good if not better,

think about all the sims on the PC, then just totally take away the modding apsect of each and every sim,
so 0 downloadable cars or tracks in anything, AC, RF2, AMS, nothing,
and think about the game, the tracks they offer and the cars they offer along with the audio and the physics,

and there is simply no disputing that RaceRoom is by far the best sim on the market no doubts at all about it none.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back