Live for Speed: New Graphics Update Posted

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Live for Speed - Aston 6.jpg

Live for Speed continues to develop, and recently some interesting progress shots of the Aston circuit have been shared by the development team.

One of the oldest active racing simulations on the market today, Live for Speed is a highly regarded and very realistic racing title that contains some impressive content, both licensed and fantasy, and has been enjoyed by many sim racing fans since first releasing to the public all the way back in the early 2000's.

Despite the age of the title, development continues apace behind the scenes at LFS HQ, proof of which can be seen by way of the below screenshot updates showcasing the latest graphic updates from the Aston in game racing location:

Live for Speed - Aston 1.jpg
Live for Speed - Aston 2.jpg
Live for Speed - Aston 3.jpg
Live for Speed - Aston 4.jpg
Live for Speed - Aston 5.jpg

Check out the Rockingham updates HERE.

Live for Speed is available exclusively to PC.

Check out the Live for Speed sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest Live for Speed news and discussions.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Do you still enjoy LFS? Impressed the title is still updated? What do you think of the current version of the title - and the development progress? Let us know in the comments section below!

nice to see that lfs still is in development, cant wait for early 2009 to finally drive the vw scirocco.

for me the best thing of lfs is the easy sharing of setups, how easy it is to see skins of other drivers and the Force Feedback is in my opinion one of the best on the market

It's funny. I thought Simulators were mainly immersive through its physics engine despite how bad the graphics are. A racing game or simulator with super realistic graphics with non-realistic/arcadey physics can break the immersion.
What made LFS tick was its superior physics engine even for so many years. The bloody tyre's sidewall even flexed which took nearly 10 years for other sims to implement. Live for speed is one of those games where it gets super immersive through its physics engine despite the graphics looking dated.

If you were that serious about Sim-racing/driving, you would still prioritize the feel of driving instead of "eye-candy" graphics. Graphics just makes the immersion that much better.

Mind you I love Assetto Corsa, and that's due to its physics engine and not just the graphics.
Live for speed physics still holds up quite well for today's standard and its nice that the graphics have been updated. Time to find my old LFS account :D

I know its just an opinion :) .... but I guess one needs to try out both Sims to make a judgement. You wouldn't know how a car drives just by looking at it's picture, you need to drive it :)

I remember LFS had great DK2 support. When I switched to CV1 I was not able to make it run. Maybe it worth to come back and enjoy great physics and a bit better graphics?

It's funny. I thought Simulators were mainly immersive through its physics engine despite how bad the graphics are. A racing game or simulator with super realistic graphics with non-realistic/arcadey physics can break the immersion.
What made LFS tick was its superior physics engine even for so many years. The bloody tyre's sidewall even flexed which took nearly 10 years for other sims to implement. Live for speed is one of those games where it gets super immersive through its physics engine despite the graphics looking dated.

If you were that serious about Sim-racing/driving, you would still prioritize the feel of driving instead of "eye-candy" graphics. Graphics just makes the immersion that much better.

Mind you I love Assetto Corsa, and that's due to its physics engine and not just the graphics.
Live for speed physics still holds up quite well for today's standard and its nice that the graphics have been updated. Time to find my old LFS account :D

I know its just an opinion :) .... but I guess one needs to try out both Sims to make a judgement. You wouldn't know how a car drives just by looking at it's picture, you need to drive it :)
If i must choose between

Ultra realistic physics
Bad graphics

Ultra realistic graphics
Bad physics

Very good graphics
Very good physics

I choose the third one, which is something like Assetto Corsa.

Last edited:
I installed LFS last night , spent an hour to setup all controllers, etc, and gave it a spin. Weird. Sound in CV1 headphones is so irritating, it is difficult to bear it. Next Level Racing v3 has some feedback to it, but not as good as it offers for iR or AC. Main theme - graphics. I have i7 3770 OCed to 4.5, 16 gigs, 1070GTX. iR and AC work steady @90FPS, with all details I need to have to both enjoy it and race (shadows on tracks, etc) To my biggest surprise LFS stutters! It is un-driveable

People say LFS has better physics than Assetto Corsa. I don't know if there is a ultra realistic one it was just an example.
Well I always liked the LFS physics but I can't be sure how realistic it is. I do know that the tyre model isn't considered good enough by the devs; apparently Scawen may have a plan to do something about that some day :whistling:

I installed LFS last night , spent an hour to setup all controllers, etc, and gave it a spin. Weird. Sound in CV1 headphones is so irritating, it is difficult to bear it. Next Level Racing v3 has some feedback to it, but not as good as it offers for iR or AC. Main theme - graphics. I have i7 3770 OCed to 4.5, 16 gigs, 1070GTX. iR and AC work steady @90FPS, with all details I need to have to both enjoy it and race (shadows on tracks, etc) To my biggest surprise LFS stutters! It is un-driveable
OK, that's weird. LFS has always been very undemanding for graphics... It has never stuttered for me, even on a low-end machine. (Haven't played the last patch or two though, I must admit.)

People say LFS has better physics than Assetto Corsa. I don't know if there is a ultra realistic one it was just an example.

Everyone has his own taste. I play mostly LFS (for years) and I like it most, but I have played AC some 400 hours and I still play it now and then.

AC looks of course much better, and its FFB and wheel feedback is very nice. Still for some reason I go more often to LFS.

Physics context is maybe not only how the car is to drive. What about damage model? I think its more interesting in LFS. The cars (and items on track) are not blocks of iron like in many other sims. Also you can have detailed information about damage level on your suspension and wheel support. And it all affects car behaviour. Or you can overheat your clutch in a twisty circuit. Or if you hit a tire stack while cutting a chicane, your car does not perform an instant stop, instead the tires will fly around the track (and they do damage if they hit your car or someone's car). There are many little details in LFS which makes it feel very real, I will not list them all here now. Unfortunately the graphics are outdated, but it does not bother me. I don't say you should like the game. Like what you want, and be happy :) See you on track :D

What I want also mention, LFS has a great global stats database. What about AC? Nothing...unless you install some RSR Timing app.

Everyone has his own taste. I play mostly LFS (for years) and I like it most, but I have played AC some 400 hours and I still play it now and then.

AC looks of course much better, and its FFB and wheel feedback is very nice. Still for some reason I go more often to LFS.

Physics context is maybe not only how the car is to drive. What about damage model? I think its more interesting in LFS. The cars (and items on track) are not blocks of iron like in many other sims. Also you can have detailed information about damage level on your suspension and wheel support. And it all affects car behaviour. Or you can overheat your clutch in a twisty circuit. Or if you hit a tire stack while cutting a chicane, your car does not perform an instant stop, instead the tires will fly around the track (and they do damage if they hit your car or someone's car). There are many little details in LFS which makes it feel very real, I will not list them all here now. Unfortunately the graphics are outdated, but it does not bother me. I don't say you should like the game. Like what you want, and be happy :) See you on track :D

What I want also mention, LFS has a great global stats database. What about AC? Nothing...unless you install some RSR Timing app.
Damage model is secondary. For me many things are more important than that. Driving physics, Graphics, Sounds, FFB.

For example, in automobilista altough the damage model is much better than Assetto Corsa, the driver arms aren't articulated, and they don't go beyond 90º, looks horrible. I prefer to play AC, to have a proper cockpit animation, and an "acceptable" damage model.

In AC the damage model is not realistic, but is enough, it's like "don't crash because you will have to pit".

What annoy me more, is the fact it has no rain physics, no proper rain animation, and that the AI doesn't make pit stops. All these things breaks the immersion.

Racing without pitstop strategies and raining possibilities is not racing. It have been always part of motorsports.

Last edited:
A proper damage model is a great value in simracing for me. It has been forgotten by simracere since recent sims dumbed down this feature. We just have been used to thinl it's not an important feature. As the possibility to pit, it's a question of taste.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back