Live for Speed: New Graphics Update Posted

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Live for Speed - Aston 6.jpg

Live for Speed continues to develop, and recently some interesting progress shots of the Aston circuit have been shared by the development team.

One of the oldest active racing simulations on the market today, Live for Speed is a highly regarded and very realistic racing title that contains some impressive content, both licensed and fantasy, and has been enjoyed by many sim racing fans since first releasing to the public all the way back in the early 2000's.

Despite the age of the title, development continues apace behind the scenes at LFS HQ, proof of which can be seen by way of the below screenshot updates showcasing the latest graphic updates from the Aston in game racing location:

Live for Speed - Aston 1.jpg
Live for Speed - Aston 2.jpg
Live for Speed - Aston 3.jpg
Live for Speed - Aston 4.jpg
Live for Speed - Aston 5.jpg

Check out the Rockingham updates HERE.

Live for Speed is available exclusively to PC.

Check out the Live for Speed sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest Live for Speed news and discussions.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Do you still enjoy LFS? Impressed the title is still updated? What do you think of the current version of the title - and the development progress? Let us know in the comments section below!

Do people think it's good because it has a totally unrealistic way of conveying grip, i.e. none?

Everyone has an opinion I guess, just play what you like, and ignore others opinion.
Personally I like LFS, but it does need to evolve in all areas, compared to the other modern titles, even though it is Victorian.
The devs should re-release it and sell it on steam, I would support them, if it means a total new title, with none slippery physics, and the worst train like ai ever in a sim racing title.

Last edited:
Agree with Kenny Paton & melanieuk. What's the point of bashing other sims that you DON'T know a bit, other than trying to be a troll...
Also the reason LFS is less popular nowadays is due to lack of "REAL" content update, not really because it's physics outdated (still need improvement ofc). Most of the LFS players and previous active leagues had done countless races on the same 8 tracks for the past decades, there isn't much left to do, that's why most people moved on (and a lot of them actually come to AC/RF2).

Also quite a lot young famous real world drivers are ex-LFS racers, notable recent driver that we all know is F1 driver Valtteri Bottas. You can read this LFS 2012 news mentioning about him as well: https://www.lfs.net/news/764
There are reasons why people choose this sim even if it has subpar graphic and fictional tracks/cars.

hello , what kind of problems do you have with the triple screen ?
do u use nvidia surround or amd ?

personnally ,i just try it and all are ok with nvidia surround and 5760*1080 , maybe we can help you ? ;)

for the update , just.... woooow , really good job guys and again thanks for all that work

ps : a lil screenshot take at blackwood :D
p

I use Nvidia surround. Same resolution. But it looks I am sitting in the passenger seat.

Maybe you can share a screenshot of your settings?

I bloody love people like Bruno. Nothing makes my day like a graphics troll. Forever trapped in a awful world of the diminishing returns of game fidelity and not knowing how to get out. Not able to enjoy the greatest achievements of world cinema because god forbid, some might be in black and white, not able some of the worlds greatest music because god forbid some of it might have been recorded in analogue.

why should I play Half Life when I have Battlefield 1

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha bloody wonderful

Really bad argument considering the point of a simulation is to simulate reality. So visual representation is of the utmost importance.

Why not just use flat shaded polygons with no textures at all? We should all just do with Virtua Racing graphics then, right?

My main issue with this simulation was never about the driving itself.
The confusion always stemmed from the setup interface and knowing which cars were available to drive.
I believe S1 is the bit I purchased.
It was so long ago, I just can't remember.
Thanks.
I think the setup screen is pretty clear: you have the infos where you can set the fuel at start, refuel on pit stop, the tire changing condition (never, over a certain wear or always) and the handicaps (air intake, ballast, ballast position), the painting options (RGB sliders), the brakes (torque per wheel, bias, ABS on or off if available), the suspension (travel range, stiffness, bump damping, rebound damping, anti-roll bar), the steering (angle, Ackerman, toe), the transmission (gear ratios, final drive, diff type and diff values), the tires (brand, type, camber, pressure) and the passengers you want. You can also drop the car to see how it reacts, and choose to put the passengers and the fuel inside the setup screen to see the car's reaction compared to being empty.

As for the available cars on the server they are all listed via dots next to the track name :
View available cars.PNG

To know which license you bought just go to your profile info on an unlocked copy :
Current license.PNG

or look at the car list in single player. I have made a chart showing which cars are which license (and Rockingham is the proof you have S3).

Chart :
Available cars.png

Proof S3 :
Proof S3.PNG

Whoa, almost looking like Gran Turismo 4 now! The worst part: it looks so much better than rF2. Not a damn joke.

LFS is such a weird game, being developed while looking quite outdated. But so many fond memories from it. And such a physics engine under the hood.

Yeah, maybe a rerelease on steam could help. I
I personally just have raced a few times on LFS when it went out, with the demo I think, but I wasn't really interested because of the fictional content. I remember it was enjoyable and the tracks interesting and wanted to see how the development would go. Then I just forgot about it (too much time on GTR1 and 2).

For sure with a rerelease and an interesting roadmap (and we would know these guys would stick to it, they're still updating it after all these years, what a better proof?) something can be done and I would be interested.

People complaining about graphics, well, professional simulators do not have better graphics. But I'm a bad example, I can still enjoy racing on F1 challenge :D, I can understand that people who discovered simracing with the current generation of sims (those who cannot have proper racing rules, safety cars, dynamic weather... :roflmao:) are not interested in older generation sims... (F1 challenge has proper F1 racing rules, dynamic and unpredictable weather though :D).

After spending about 100 hours with demo license, last month I went straight to the S3, just to support the devs.

I think the graphics are actually okay - considering that it runs so smoothly in VR. But my god the interior of the car and the driver's model are horrendous. I actually feel a bit meh at these new screenshots.

Actually I think the game feels dated. The FFB feels pretty dull - even on the new laserscanned track. The AI is really dumb and completely ignores me and runs into me. I can't find timed race settings. I can't get the super realistic mirror to a comfortable position. S3 is IMO overpriced. I think I can go on forever about what I think is lacking in this game, but I am glad that the devs are still doing what they enjoy, and I don't feel any regrets paying for the S3 license.

Also for me personally, if not for the ability to drive with a low spec system and the autocross function, I can't find a reason not to play AC instead of LFS… but I still play LFS now and then.

there is great demand for fun game with 1 low tax to system 2 great phisics 3 real wolrd track the only real need of graphics is light need to bounce of surface of car and other object with brilliant hd no more no less

this illustrates the 3d immersion that gamer love to see the more maticulus the surface apear to be by the way light bouce on car cloud water etc the more eye candy for player to love 3d immersion all the while it is not many graphics tax of the aaa demand

Different reactions, as you can see not everybody disagree with my opinion.

And i really wanted to know why should i play this instead of Assetto Corsa. It's like choose ultra low settings having the option to use the highest settings.

Rubbish comparison considering the LFS track in AC is a sub standard conversion. Ummmm yea , anyway, back on topic.

New visual updates look good, I really hope they improve the low poly cars and interiors as well

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back